Crash Course for Proper Names@Marilyn Tate

Started by Marilyn Tate on Saturday, February 24, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 5 posts
2/24/2018 at 9:35 AM

Is there any place on this site that explains the preferred names for historical figures rather than the names that they are commonly known by, for example, Julius Caesar, Cleopatra, Mark Anthony, all of the Romans, the Eastern Greeks, the Chinese, the Arabs, etc. Some languages, such as Arabic have no accepted hard and fast spellings in English. I always have to go letter by letter and check all the data make sure I have to correct person. I am fluent in English, can read acceptable Spanish, and very little French. Sometimes, Portuguese is similar enough to Spanish to be understandable, I can recognize a lot of the other languages, but cannot read them.

I have noticed that this site has several family lines that involve descent from the Greek and Armenian rulers around 900-1100 C E and they are not unified because of the alternated spellings! I think they all involve my lines. It is the Phocas, and all even slightly related lines and peoples.

Private User
2/24/2018 at 1:21 PM

I see above that Marilyn says "I have noticed that this site has several family lines that involve descent from the Greek and Armenian rulers around 900-1100 C E and they are not unified because of the alternated spellings! I think they all involve my lines."

Tagging some of the Curators I see active in discussions -- Private User ---- Leanne M (Volunteer Curator - Australia) 🇦🇺 --- Erica Howton

-- -- Thinking one of you might be able to connect Marilyn to the right Curator or whatever for her expertise to be a big help on Geni.
(though she would probably appreciate it if someone also answered her question - so do not want to totally distract from that)

Hi Marilyn and Lois,
I am unaware of any single spot you can go to that will have a list of historical figures. There might be projects for a particular area/interest.

Julius Caesar, Cleopatra, Mark Anthony - would all have Master Profiles.

What I do when I find a possible duplicate is to send the duplicates URL to the curator of the master profile and ask if it is duplicate.
They will do one of 3 things - delete the duplicates and merge in the new profiles of descendants OR merge in the profile OR say they are not a duplicate.

Here are the links to the 3 profiles specifically mentioned above - Jason Scott Wills is the curator

Cleopatra VII Philopator, Pharaoh of Egypt

Marcus Antonius "Mark Antony"

Julius Caesar, Roman Dictator

2/24/2018 at 9:42 PM

https://www.geni.com/discussions/178029?msg=1199845

It's fantastic that you'd like to get various languages into Geni profiles! It's a huge job but so important, not only for matching duplicates, but for accuracy. Wikiepdia can help also in the translations.

Many Master profiles names are locked so would need to be unlocked, worked on (adding languages for the names) and then relocked, so working with a curator on it in systematic way would be the approach.

Since you're looking at Greek & Armenian (again, I think Wikipedia probably has the names in those languages) the curators that come to mind are Ben M. Angel & Jason Wills.

Perhaps choose a lineage to work through and contact the curator.

Private User
2/24/2018 at 10:20 PM

The joy of being as Geni contributor, is that you can actually start a tree that not only reflects your research into your own ancestry, but also one that provides the family background of any individual of note. When researching the latter, it is not uncommon to find that it eventually links to an existing Geni tree, showing other subscribers are also descended from that famous individual.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion