Establishing some conventions for (re)building the Cherokee Tree

Started by Pam Wilson (on hiatus) on Friday, March 30, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 14 posts
3/30/2018 at 2:06 PM

Some proposed general conventions we're developing as we go along.

If a person likely did not exist but has sprung, fully formed, as a genealogical fabrication, let's mark him or her as "Fictitious person" using the suffix field, then add an explanation in the About section (and Curator note).

If a person likely did exist but was probably or definitely not Cherokee, as claimed, then let's mark him or her as "Non-Cherokee" in the suffix field and add an explanation in the About section (and Curator note).

If a woman/partner is claimed to be a Cherokee and experts agree she was Cherokee but her name is unknown, let's name her "NN (we use the Latin abbreviation) Cherokee woman, partner of X" in the first name field.

If a woman/partner is claimed to be Cherokee but she was likely not Cherokee, but her name is unknown, let's name her "NN (non-Cherokee) wife of X" (or partner, if spouse is Cherokee, since the concept of marriage was different) in the first name field.

Let's use suffix field for titles, use first name field for names. We can use English for transliterated Cherokee names using syllables (e.g. Tah-Lon-Tee-Skee, aka Tahlonteeskee), and use the Cherokee field options to insert the names in Cherokee syllabary. For "nicknames" such as Dragging Canoe, we can use the middle name field in the English option.

Please place all alternate spellings and forms of the name in the AKA (Also Known As) field, with a comma between each one.

Until Cherokees began using surnames historically, we should leave the surname fields blank. The only exception would be to use it for toponyms (place indicators, just like we do in the medieval tree) such as "of Tanasi".

Also, if you see any of the pictures/photos/images that are incorrect, let's remove them. Some people get overzealous.

Feedback?

Erica Howton Kathryn Forbes Erin Ishimoticha

3/30/2018 at 2:11 PM

Where should clan identification be placed?

3/30/2018 at 2:15 PM

Should we put hyphens between transliterated syllables, or not?

3/30/2018 at 2:44 PM

Agree in general but some concerns about the woman names. Men are easier, isn’t it always true, that ? :)

Letty “Hatchet Gray” might be a good example to work through. She had a married last name, she is not known to be Cherokee, it is possible she had native ancestry ? So would the proposal work?

Quibble: I use N.N. to make it clear it’s an abbreviation. And I try (don’t always succeed) to use description of relationships in the Display Name field.

In other words

First name = N.N.
Display name = 1st wife of that guy

3/30/2018 at 2:45 PM

The ethnicity field might be good for detailed clan & tribe

3/30/2018 at 3:08 PM

Regarding Letty, I would leave it without a Cherokee or non-Cherokee specification. I'm just at this moment trying to find a better way to nuance Kathryn's "nonexistent" or our "fictitious" label with what I think Kathryn is meaning when she says a person was nonexistent--she means on the officially-sanctioned Cherokee tree. What's your idea about the best way to address that? Of course, most of these people were "existent" in that someone occupied the place of a parent, but she is specifically trying to clean up the Cherokee designations in the tree.

I've never used the Ethnicity field because it's on a different tab (Personal). I wonder if we might persuade Mike to move it, or a similar category onto the Basics tab?

3/30/2018 at 3:22 PM

Just an interjection from one of the "easy" men..... I had used the Suffix line for the clan affiliation on the Shawnee. That is what we agreed on as I recall. Looks decent when it is displayed.

3/30/2018 at 4:34 PM

A lot of what we’ve achieved on the medieval tree is relevant.

- If the tree is entirely bogus (90% of the Moytoy tree for example) find the cut points to disconnect from the world family tree, fictional in the suffix, maybe re direct to the historic person. As that tree will be isolated at its end points no one will be able to add to the world family tree

- if the person existed but was not known to have the parents claimed for them, links within profile to the not - parents, add to spurious pedigrees Project, relationship lock to NN parents. Would it then be necessary to put their not - ethnicity in the name?

3/30/2018 at 4:55 PM

Let's try it out and see. I've only been working on the very early (pre-1800) profiles so far, and most of them I've just had to cut loose at the top, since most of the ones who were historical people (like the Emissaries to London) did not have known parents, partners or children, so they are really not going to be connected to the World Family Tree (or the Cherokee portion of it) since the connections are not known. They will be free-floating historical profiles without family ties.

Once we get down to more documentable ancestors, I don't know if the designation about whether someone is Cherokee or not is useful or not--at least until the point where tribal membership became something that was arbitrated according to tribal enrollment policies. That's really something I believe the Cherokee members of our group need to decide (I'm not Cherokee). I don't think Geni needs to be in the business of determining blood quantum for individual ancestors (since that gets politically loaded at certain points), but if descendants have that knowledge, they are welcome to enter it into the About field (in my opinion).

I notice that many of the historic Cherokee profiles have the clan designation entered into the Occupation field. That's not a bad place for it since it's on the Basics page near the top. Llyod Doss, the only reason I don't like it on the suffix line is that we also use that for titles, so it can get cluttered pretty easily. I'd like to determine a standard place to enter the clan info on the Basics page.

Mike Stangel, any suggestions? Could we create an optional field that could be opened or closed (like the Baptism is) on the Basics page that was general enough to designate "Community, tribe, or kin group" or something like that, which could be used in many different cultural contexts to designate ethnic or local or clan ties? If so, we could designate, for example, "Cherokee--Bird Clan (a ni tsi s qua)" or "Cherokee: Eastern Band, Bird clan" or "Cherokee: United Keetoowah Band".... I can see many uses for this field outside of tribal use, in other contexts. It could be used to designate subcultural communities in many different countries based upon ethnicity or religion or geography.

3/30/2018 at 4:55 PM

Here’s an example from my own tree

Abigail Roark

Since her maiden name is unknown I think it’s clearer to fill that in as unknown.

(I have to clean up the old note contributions)

3/30/2018 at 5:09 PM

I think this would be a good fit for the promised but not-yet-delivered feature of allowing users to add arbitrary name/value pairs, kinda like we do on events; for example, my birthweight and godparents on my birth event (see https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/29597741_101560034553... ). I suggested this feature for our South African users who want to put a DVN identifier on their profiles.

3/30/2018 at 5:49 PM

I had always liked that idea, Mike. Maybe a trick is making it prominent and easy to use, from tree view. I just edited "Cherokee Indian" out of occupation & name fields for somehow great aunt Abigail Roark.

4/24/2018 at 11:22 AM

Hmmm ... Mike Stangel ... where would one add the arbitrary name/value pairs? In the process of adding them, could there be a 'tick-box' to indicate they should be displayed on the main profile page (maybe limited to a maximum of 2 or 3 'custom' fields to appear on the main profile page, all others on a ? (new tab?).

It'd be nice to have an optional list of 'custom field names' which others have used ... or maybe, at least, the custom fields used in the immediate family (to make it easy to propagate consistency along a branch).

4/24/2018 at 11:33 AM

I don’t know anything about how Geni is set up, but I think it’s important to have the tribe/nation name prominently displayed for individuals who were/are members of that tribe. That is very helpful to people who are searching for Native ancestors, especially if there’s a way to require documentation to go along with the field or to vet the information.

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion