Muriel Wright De Meillon - Johannes de Meillon not married to Muriel WRIGHT?

Started by Sharon Doubell on Friday, August 10, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 1-30 of 40 posts
8/10/2018 at 9:39 AM

Private User says, "I have done research on Johannes de Meillon and concluded he was NEVER married to Muriel WRIGHT (1904-1969).

I also have researched her and found many documents with two spellings for her former husbands and children: DE MILLIOEN and DE MILLION. Her second husband Marthinus Christoffel BARNARD pre-deceased her but the Death notice of Barnard's son (Roland Barnard) gives Muriel Barnard as his mother (formerly WRIGHT, born DE MEILLON). This is the only document I found that has De Meillon.

There is also a 1961 death notice for William CLARKE stating surviving spouse Muriel Clarke (born Wright)."

8/10/2018 at 9:45 AM
Private User
8/10/2018 at 1:12 PM

I have now uploaded a detailed account showing that Muriel was NOT Johannes De Meillon's spouse nor the mother of the six children ascribed to them. If some of these are his children I have not yet found evidence of this.
Muriel and the children must be removed from this place in the tree.

Private User
8/11/2018 at 6:41 AM

Muriel Barnard
Someone needs to remove her from here as she was NOT married to Johannes de Meillon but the children should be assigned to their real parents. I do not know who they belong to.
I hope Pieter Sarel du Preez and Omar-McBride will sort this out soon as they appear to have added the her and the children. How do I get their attention and response?

8/11/2018 at 7:21 AM

Give it a day or so for them to see, and then call me back here.

Private User
8/11/2018 at 9:45 AM

Yes, I am impatient. Sorry.
However, I am now finding evidence of the possibility that indeed he had a relationship with Muriel. I am in touch with Lorraine de Meillon who was Pieter de Meillon's daughter and the granddaughter of Susanna Carolina, born Human. She says that Roland de Meillon (1929-1969) whom she knew as uncle Roley was the Muriel and Johannes' son, but that they never married. That would explain the lack of documents connecting Muriel to Johannes de Meillon and their offspring.
I will revise my document summarizing Muriel's history.

Private User
8/11/2018 at 11:55 AM

Finally, the tree on Geni.com had assigned six children to this couple (Frank, Yvonne, Mary, Micky, Roland and Warwick) as well as three spouses. No documents could be found confirming that the six children were the biological children of Muriel (born Wright and Johannes de Meillon), but recent correspondence with Lorraine de Meillon, granddaughter of Susanna Carolina (born Human) confirmed that Muriel Wright had cohabited with Johannes and had known some of their children as uncles and aunts (messages via FB on 11 Aug 2018). She also confirmed, for example, that Roland de Meillon was a talented jeweller but was alcoholic. This part of the tree has now been updated based on documents found and on Lorraine and her family’s recollections.

Private User
8/12/2018 at 7:33 AM

I hope to get feedback on the discussion. I have again reviewed the document found to date and conclude.
The tree on Geni.com had assigned six children to Johannes De Meillon and Muriel, born Wright (Frank (b. 1925), Yvonne (b. 1935), Mary, Micky, Roland (1929-1969) and Warwick) as well as three spouses. Four of these names correspond to four of her surviving children described in her 1969 Death notice to be from her 1st marriage, if one accepts that DE MILLIOEN is DE MEILLON. Because Micky and Warwick are not listed, it is possible that they had passed away by 1969. There is no proof so far of their dates of birth, except for Roland. In 1925 Johannes would have been 20 and Muriel 21 so it is not unreasonable to assume that they could have been the biological parents of the six children up until 1935, when Johannes married Susanna Carolina van Heerden (born Human) on June 12th. No documents were found confirming that the six children were the biological children of Muriel and Johannes de Meillon (born Wright), but recent correspondence with Lorraine de Meillon, granddaughter of Susanna Carolina (born Human) confirmed that Muriel Wright had cohabited with Johannes and that she had known some of their children as uncles and aunts (messages via FB on 11 Aug 2018). She also confirmed, for example, that Roland de Meillon was a talented jeweller but was alcoholic. This part of the tree has now been updated based on documents found and on Lorraine and her family’s recollections.

In summary, Muriel (born Write) could have been the biological mother of six children with Johannes de Meillon who gave them his surname but had not married Muriel. It remains a mystery who looked after these children and who supported them. Johannes was an upholsterer and too young to be wealthy but we know nothing about Muriel except that she married William Clarke (Foreman Fitter on a gold mine) some time before 1961, when he died on July 25, leaving two surviving major children: Leonard Frank Walker Clarke and Bria William Clarke. There is no mention of the De Meillon children on Clarke’s Death notice. Was this an oversight or deliberate? Muriel soon after married Marthinus Christoffel Barnard (Reduction Shiftsman on a gold mine), a widower, who died in 1966 and whose Death notice only lists his three surviving major children from his first wife Hendrina Barnard (born Visser) who had died ca. 1934. Again was it an oversight or deliberate that no De Meillon children are listed on his death notice?

8/14/2018 at 1:52 AM

Hello people. I am trying to figure out how this Geni work properly. Thank you for all your amazing input. It is fantastic. Re Muriel Wright - I have removed her from my family tree as the evidence seems to suggest she is definitely not de Meillon but de M... other.

Private User
8/14/2018 at 10:49 AM

Glad to see you here Jill, am in same boat trying to figure out how this works.

8/15/2018 at 6:49 AM

I'm waiting for Omar Oostveen-Mc Bride to comment. Johannes (Dick) Richard de Meillon is his granny's brother.

Private User
8/15/2018 at 1:37 PM

That is fascinating. Yes, I now recall seeing his name on some profiles. What is his gran's name as Johannes had seven sisters?

Private User
8/27/2018 at 9:00 AM

How much longer do we have to wait for Omer and Sarel to get involved? It seems they have lost interest.

8/27/2018 at 12:15 PM

Yes, I think we've given them the opportunity to reply, now.
Walk me through what you want me to do.

Private User
8/28/2018 at 7:56 AM

The easiest by far is to simply send them the files I created for both Muriel Wright and for Susanna Carolina Human. Each has a file on the chronology with comments and a separate file of all documents from archives (baptism, marriage etc) as a single pdf. Thus four pdf files all together. Over the weeks I made some changes and corrections to the data in the tree but would not be easy to see if everything has been updated according to my data.

Is it possible for me to email them to you so you can see and decide what best to do? My email is lcabri@sympatico.ca

It is very frustrating when those who had inserted the names and details originally have now lost interest and don't even bother to reply one way or the other.

8/28/2018 at 11:33 AM

You need to add all documents to the profiles - and then link them here one by one.

Private User
8/29/2018 at 6:47 AM

Dear All,

Especially those interested or who have contributed to Johannes De Meillon and Muriel Barnard, born Wright.

I uploaded two files under Media in her profile: one is a chronology of her life and relationships according to archival and related documents found as of 10 Aug 2018, and the second is a single file of those documents in chronological order. See: Muriel Barnard

A reading of what was found to date shows no evidence that she had married Johannes De Meillon but he appears to be the biological father of her six children who bear his surname, probably born between 1925-1935. Mysteries remain, such as how she managed to support her six children after Johannes left her to marry Susanna Carolina van Heerden, born Human, before she married William Clarke (ca.1901-1961) at an unknown date.

If anyone has new information or finds errors in the chronology, please let me know at: lcabri@sympatico.ca.

8/29/2018 at 10:22 AM

Mimi, this is a different version than originally.
You're saying that the relationship between Johannes (Dick) Richard de Meillon and Muriel Barnard should be changed from marriage to partnership. That's all?

Private User
8/30/2018 at 6:14 AM

The chronology file added to the profile is the latest update based on the available data from archives and from descendants that have contributed their memory of people and events. This will change as new information is obtained and I will update the records if I am involved. So far there is no evidence that they were married.
This is why I have tried to get feedback from those that had originally added Johannes (Dick) De Meillon and Muriel Barnard, to find out if they have any evidence of a marriage.
What else can one do?

8/30/2018 at 6:24 AM

It's not clear what you want us to do here.

Private User
8/30/2018 at 12:03 PM

Very simply, for those who had originally added the profiles of Johannes (Dick) De Meillon and Muriel Barnard to review what I wrote after comparison with their original data. to see if my account is more accurate or needs more correction. Surely that is a logical step but because they have not replied we are left hanging, as it were.

8/30/2018 at 12:13 PM

Okay.

10/27/2018 at 5:11 AM

Sorry to disturb the debate with a new question.
Was Susanne Carolina ever married to Finn Bernhard Nymann?
Finn Bernhard + Susan Carolina are listed with the same last name:Nymann on the Jan. 9. 1944 the bird of Theo.
When Finn Bernhard Nymann, one year later married Joanna Gruber (b. Rasmussen) Finn is listed as bachelor!!??

10/28/2018 at 7:16 AM

You need to post links to the profiles.

Private User
10/29/2018 at 6:56 AM

Hello Jan - delighted to get a response.

Yes, Nymann is listed as father of Susanna's last child i the 1944 baptism but as far as I know he was never married to her. Susanna arranged for baptism of two older children on same day,but there are two errors for them. First, their father is given as Johannes de Meillon instead of Pieter William Jacobus van Heerden, and secondly, de Meillon is shown as "deceased". Johannes de Meillon was still married to Susanna in 1944 and divorced him in Dec 1946. By 1944 they were separated and there are unconfirmed accounts that he was in the military.

I have added all documents I could find plus written a chronology of Susanna's life at
Susanna Carolina Peens

The chronology is dated 30 Aug 2018 and I have an updated version of a month later still to add. The records are all that has been been found so far in one file under Media.

I look forward to any further questions or comments on what I found to be a very complicated life.

10/29/2018 at 8:29 AM

:-)

1/5/2019 at 6:37 AM

Maybe I can help here. Yvonne de Meillon is my mom, and Muriel Wright and Dick de Mellon were my grandparents.

1/5/2019 at 6:46 AM

Muriel and Dick were married and had 6 children - Frank (Frederick Albertus), Warwick, Roland, Micky (who drowned as a child), Mary and Yvonne. They divorced and Muriel married Mathinus Barnard and 3 more children - Norman, Roland (yes, a second one), and Daphne.
Also, in the tree, the parents are Muriel are not correct. Her father was Warwick Wright and her mother was Mary Cook. I have plenty more info I can help with if required.

Private User
1/5/2019 at 7:13 AM

Hello Roger
So glad to read your note. It has been some time since I was researching this area of the tree and will be so happy to correct it with your information.
Can we continue by email so I can more easily attach all the documents I have found as well as my summary? My email is lcabri@sympatico.ca and I am manager for my wife Mimi De Meillon.
Look forward to more.
Louis Cabri

Showing 1-30 of 40 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion