Francois Joseph Savoie SOLVED

Started by Joseph Bolton on Saturday, September 15, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 121-150 of 2234 posts

The ydna haplogroup for francois savoie is R-Z367. Does anyone know the haplogroup of any of Thomas of savoy's legitimate sons? I'd like to compare.

Like many others here, I have for direct ancestor François Savoie (FRANÇOIS SÇAVOIS as from the 1671 census) and Catherine Lejeune. Might be fun to see where your lineage meet mine.

From François to me:
François - Germain - François-Xavier - Jean-Baptiste - Pierre - Pierre-Louis - Jean-Baptiste - Isaïe Henri Conrad Arthur - Alphondor - Lizon (YES it was my FATHER'S name) and myself (and my 4 sons)

Hello Jocelyn, are most recent common ancestor on the Savoie line is Pierre Louis. My line continues throu Pierre Louis son ,Narcisse Savoie. From there to me is Joseph Savoie, Phileas Savoie, Roland Savoie and then my mother Carol Savoie. We are fairly close then. Have your family members talk about Francois Joseph Savoie when you were growing up? My great grandfather Phileas Savoie was born in St Germain QB in 1883 but then moved to Rhode Island as a boy. I am still in the New England area. How about you?

I was born near Quebec city but on the South shore in my maternal grand parents house. We moved a lot until I was 5 and than we settled in 3-Rivières. I got married, divorced (twice) and with "wife number 3", we moved in the Charlevoix region (an hour East of Quebec, in the mountains) for a few years. Then to Quebec city, to finally set ourselves in St-Hyacinthe (not very far from Montréal, on the South shore).

My ancestors were never something that was spoken much in my family. I knew my grand-father Alphondor Savoie but never knew his origins nor his parents neither did I know if he even had brothers and/or sisters. Not much was known on my mother's side though I have known HER grand-mother and heard a lot of tales about my great-grand-father on my mom's side. I was inithated to genealogy by a woman I met while being a "testee" for a pharmaceutical company in Quebec city. She helped me find a few more generations of Savoie but I still lacked most of them. After searching and searching on the internet, I finally was able to fill the voids I had in my family tree.

That's about it!

Now, I am the proud father of 5 boys, on of which I took under my wing when he was 12, and a daughter. To me, no matter the marriage they are from, they are all brothers ans sister. With my life companion Mélanie, we have 2 boys one of which is closing on his 16th birthday and our "baby" who's 12. And that's about all.

Hello,

I am a descendant of Francois Savoie through my paternal grandmother. It's a convoluted story starting in Acadia, then Quebec, Detroit, and St Louis, Missouri.

My Gedmatch numbers are T068369 for my FTDNA and A517642 for ancestry. Looking for small matches in the 3 to 5cM range, message me or reply here if we do.

Hello Aaron, I match with you on 3 chromosomes..Chr. 3 at 3.1cms; Chr. 8 at 3.4 cms; & Chr. 12 at 3.3 cms, & 4.0. cms...I am on there with a number of Gedmatch numbers, but for now I'll just put up here T317135....I do have a number of DNA matches on various sites with the Savoie name, so I know there is a connection..Anyway, do let me know if anything matches up.

Thank you for your reply Danielle! I didn't find any blood links through Geni's magic, I'll PM you my tree information. Besides maybe 3 brick walls I can trace my lineage back to Europe with matches in England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, The Netherlands, Germany, France, Italy and Scandinavia via New Sweden. My latest immigrant ancestor to the USA was born in 1839 and my earliest immigrant arrived in 1609. So I do look for oddball matches who have no USA lineage when going back over 200 years.

Welcome cousin! Mutual Savoie cousin Bill Gabunia Debuque has done great work here on Savoie DNA comparisons. Perhaps he can assist.

Thank you for your replies! I checked every Gedmatch number listed in this thread and I have several matches at 3cM to most or all of them. They're not on Chr 1 or 22 however, but here is my line from Francois to my paternal grandmother, who lived in the St Louis area of Missouri for her first 70 or so years:

Francois Savoie (1621 - 1678)
10th great-grandfather
Jeanne Savoie (1658 - 1735)
Daughter of Francois Savoie
Jeanne Pellerin (1678 - 1758)
Daughter of Jeanne Savoie
Joseph Surette (1712 - 1750)
Son of Jeanne Pellerin
Marguerite Surette (1746 - 1835)
Daughter of Joseph Surette
Rose Tessier dit Lavigne (1781 - 1835)
Daughter of Marguerite Surette
Marie-Josephte Branchaud (1817 - 1898)
Daughter of Rose Tessier dit Lavigne
Helene Gervais (1852 - 1925)
Daughter of Marie-Josephte Branchaud
Peter Goulet (1872 - 1944)
Son of Helene Gervais
Lucille Julia Goulet (1901 - 1981)
Daughter of Peter Goulet
Laraine Dorothea Bruns (1925 - )
Daughter of Lucille Julia Goulet

Also what is this Asian marker that I've read about? My FTDNA results show "Trace Results" to Central Asia, and my old Ancestry before the most recent update show a <1% Asia South signature. Considering I have absolutely no known Asian ancestors could this be significant, or is it only East Asian ancestry that is the marker?

I may have not looked hard enough before, and I don't know which build we're comparing here, but here's my DNA results from a 1cM and 100 SNP comparison to all 3 available builds to Danielle on Chr 1 between 155k and 161k. B36, 37 and 38 are the columns. No large segments but 2-4 small segments.

1 152,984,532 154,373,487 154,717,908 156,106,863 154,745,432 156,137,072 1.1 130
1 155,639,620 156,995,970 157,372,996 158,729,346 157,403,206 158,759,556 1.9 235
1 157,083,213 158,018,690 158,816,589 159,752,066 158,846,799 159,782,276 2.1 143
1 161,069,239 161,719,671 162,802,615 163,453,047 162,832,825 163,483,257 1.6 141

I have noticed an East Asia trace with my Uncle T Savoie. My guess it is a distant ancestor through the House of Savoy to the Mongolian Empire.

I have a question for you all. I know that my father, his btorhers too, had a dark skin and black curly hair. When he spent a few monts in Florida, he often passed for a cuban (being only 5'4", large hands and dark skinned). Eventhough this african/american of simply african traits MAY have come from the Savoie family, I do agree that it might also be from his mother's side (Abbott/Balleux). So... Anyone here has black ascendance in the Savoie branch?

We don’t but my grandfather Roland Savoie had jet black hair and an olive complexion. I believe it’s from First Nations ancestors

There's a large problem here. You cannot rely on segments under 7cm. They're very often false positives. All of the matches here with Bill are under 4cm. Those are way too small to triangulate.
For more information, this article is very informative: https://thegeneticgenealogist.com/2017/12/29/a-small-segment-round-up/

I don’t think that it is as big of a problem as you make it out to be. For one Bill’s positive matches are consistent with what we would expect as he matches other House of Savoy descendants . If it was just “noise” it would be more random. Couple the DNA evidence with the strong and long lived oral tradition and circumstantial evidence and it is far more likely than not that the North American Savoies are from the House of Savoy.

Nathan,

I agree with you, but also there is a case to be made for small segment matches. Take for instance a block of my autosomal DNA on Chr 19 between 48m and 54m which 90% of my matches have Finnish surnames and completely Finnish ancestry. I can thereby assume that this bit of DNA is a result of a Finnish ancestor, and most likely through the New Sweden colony. Furthermore I have a 2c2r who also has this segment, so I can narrow down which part of my tree to look for a pattern. I can then consider small segment matches to this particular pattern if it fits the aforementioned criteria.

Disregarding matches below 7cM will prove that you have a 4th cousin, but not necessarily a 14th cousin.

Well, I have DNA matches (on my Scottish line) .with a family in Australia..We have a paper trail connection as well..Now I match with all the siblings on Ancestry within the range of cms they use on there, except for one brother..I looked him up on Gedmatch & we only share about 3.3 cms on there..But he is still a relative..So, I think if names, siblings, places, etc match you can take lower percentages into account..After all, inherited ethnocities vary within familes.

Sorry...Meant to type ethnicities of course!

Danielle and Aaron, Great comments and observations!

Thankyou Joseph.

Hello everyone.

Here are my current matches above 7cM in the suspected "Savoy Region" of 155 cM to 161 cM of Chromosome 1:

Comeau descendant (Acadia) - 8.5 cM
Boucher descendant (Acadia) - 8.0 cM
Leonard descendant (Palatinate) - 7.1 cM

Currently, I have no known connection to Acadia except through Francois Savoie.

According to Geni, Francois Savoie have Comeau and Boucher descendants.

Prinz Eugen and other Savoys have been active in the Palatinate in the 1600s & 1700s, fighting Europe's dirty little wars.

Jocelyn Savoie Here is my connection to Francois Savoie You
→ Donald F. Babin
your father → Mary Nellie Babin
his mother → Willaim J. Bourque
her father → Joseph Bourque
his father → Pierre Bourque
his father → Marie-Rose Surette
his mother → Pierre Surette, Jr.
her father → Jeanne Pellerin
his mother → Jeanne Marie Pellerin
her mother → Francois Joseph Savoie
her father

Hi Philip. Welcome to the discussion! :-)

Hi @ Jocelyn Savoie, I've been in the discussion, just wanted to comment on your post. 7th cousin once removed.

Right! My bad! Lol!

What DNA test is everyone taking to see if they are Savoie cousins? I am potentially a direct descendant of Francois Savoie but want to confirm through DNA. I have taken DNA test from Ancestry and 23&Me. Here is how my tree says I am descended through Francois Savoie:

Francois Savoie and Catherine LeJeune - 10th great grandparents
Germain Savoie and Marie Breau - 9th great grandparents
Marie Savoie and Rene Blanchard - 8th great grandparents
Marie Anne Blanchard and Joseph Laur/Lore/Lord - 7th great grandparents
Anna Mary Lord and George Micheal Feindel - 6th great grandparents
Anna Maria Feindel and John Michael Fancy - 5th great grandparents
Susannah Elizabeth Fancy and John Nicholas Krauss - 4th great grandparents
Maria Krauss and David Oikle - 3rd great grandparents
Lucy Matilda Oikle and David Boyd McLean - 2nd great grandparents
Blanche McLean and Edward Lewis McKay - great grandparents
Adeline Florence McKay and Arthur Regine Worthington - grandparents
Joan Ann Worthington and Larry Allen Sayers - parents (my paternal surname is in question).

I would love to take whatever DNA test that can prove or disprove this ancestry. I am already descended through many royal houses, including, but not limited to, England, France, Belgium, Scotland, Ireland, through other lines. My ancestry is 99% European with 68% England/Belgium/Wales 24% Ireland/Scotland 8% German/French

Thank you!

Shonda Sayers Feather

Hi Shonda! You should match up with my mother Carol Savoie and her siblings on Ancestry.com

Hi Joseph! Thank you. There were three Carol Savoie's listed on Ancestry and I do not connect to any of them. This is why I love DNA proof.

Are you on Ancestry.com

Showing 121-150 of 2234 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion