Duncan Campbell - Who are the parents ?

Started by Erica Howton on Monday, October 1, 2018
Showing all 8 posts
10/1/2018 at 11:16 AM

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/family/LRGF-FJQ Has Andrew Duncan & Annabel Hamilton as the parents of Duncan Campbell of Inverary

10/2/2018 at 12:30 AM

The notes in profile for John Campbell, of Fincastle who married Grissel Campbell

Ancestry:

Gen 1. John's Father: Duncan Campbell was born 1645 in Drumboden, Ireland, and died between 1700 - 1725. He 1st married Marjorie Campbell. She was born Bet. 1640 - 1653. He 2nd he married Mary McCoy in 1672. She was born in 1648.

Gen 2. John's Grandfather: Andrew Campbell was born abt 1609, and died 1717. He married Mary Rich on December 17, 1637, daughter of Henry Rich, Earl. She was born abt 1615.

10/2/2018 at 12:36 AM

Good reading on the possible origins of John Duncan Campbell here:

https://www.werelate.org/wiki/Person:John_Campbell_%28205%29

“John Campbell (205) is considered to be the immigrant Patriarch of a line of Campbells that settled first in Old Chester Pennsylvania, perhaps as early as 1726, and who moved west and south into the Valley of Virginia by 1742. The family is often connected by genealogists to the Campbell's of Argyll, Scotland, but the nature of the connection, if any, is obscure. ... “

10/2/2018 at 12:40 AM

From https://www.wikitree.com/photo/pdf/McCoy-895

This document is the latest confirmed research and information regarding the "Duncan" Campbell that allegedly married Mary McCoy, and how John (II) and Mary McCoy (*not Duncan*) were the parents of John (III) who married Grissel Hay.

https://www.wikitree.com/photo.php/a/ac/McCoy-895.pdf

8/31/2020 at 5:47 PM

There’s been no feedback on the unsupported parents of John Campbell, of Fincastle so I’m going ahead and revising his ancestry based on the sources above.

I’m pretty sure Duncan Campbell of Inverary was not his father.

If there is current evidence otherwise, please post.

10/28/2021 at 2:28 PM

Duncan Campbell of Inverary Does not seem to have known parents.

https://www.genealogy.com/ftm/n/o/r/Philip--Norfleet/BOOK-0001/0004...

E-MAIL MESSAGE OF DIARMID CAMPBELL RE ANCESTORS OF JOHN CAMPBELL
Date:01 January 199

" ...although a number of people have attempted research in Ireland absolutely no further information has appeared about the ancestry of Duncan Campbell who married Mary McCoy.

"Pilcher states quite clearly at one point in her book that her information on those earlier (likely fictitious generations going back to Inverary) were taken by her from an elderly relation who thought she remembered that information.Pilcher had not intended to publish her book and it might have been better had she not, since the misinformation has misled so many and God knows how many family histories have now been published giving her bogus material as their source.Her later material appears to be more sound, although since she often gives no sources or references (as to where material was found), it means that anyone of the descents of those whom she outlines has to re-do the research.

"I have also thought that there might be some connection between the Drumaboden and the 18th century Virginia Campbells.But none has as yet appeared.Two professional research efforts in Ireland have so far been conducted, one just completed and the other in the '80s.These were conducted by getting a group of descendants to put up some funds each and were co-ordinated through the Genealogists of the Clan Campbell Society of the time.While both were helpful in clarifying where no information could be found (so making easier any future research efforts), neither produced any clarification on the ancestry of either family going back from Ireland to Scotland.

"If you want the results of the second research effort you could write to the Society Genealogist, Dr.Ruby G. Campbell PhD, 3310 Fairway Drive, Baton Rouge LA 70809 USA, and ask her to let you know what to send her for the photocopying and mailing costs.But the information is not, I seem to remember, directly concerned with Drumaboden. ...

" ... There are in fact three sets of Northern Irish Campbells who may or may not be connected: Drumaboden, Duncan and his cousin Dugald Campbell, and the 18th century Virginia Campbells descended from one John Campbell who came over to Pennsylvania at a fairly advanced age in the 1720s or 30s."

Disconnecting him as son of Andrew Dugan Campbell

Of course, can be reconnected if evidence is presented.

10/29/2021 at 7:55 AM

Sorry, I have no help to offer on this interesting discussion. I have done no research and have no primary documents to add to the mix. I do have at least two sets of Campbells in my lineage. Has anyone done any research on the Campbells of Carter County, TN as it is now or Washington Co. NC as it might have been before Tennessee statehood?

10/29/2021 at 7:57 AM

Sorry, I have no help to offer on this interesting discussion. I have done no research and have no primary documents to add to the mix. I do have at least two sets of Campbells in my lineage. Has anyone done any research on the Campbells of Carter County, TN as it is now or Washington Co. NC as it might have been before Tennessee statehood?

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion