Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 24 posts
Private User
11/15/2018 at 3:58 AM

There is nos such person. Isabella Miller was the wife of Major John Lewis and they are the parents of Councilor John Lewis who obtained the rank of Colonel. After the death of Major John Lewis, Isabella Miller Lewis married an man with the last name of Yard.

Elizabeth Warner was the wife of Councilor John Lewis.

Major John Lewis was never married to a woman named Elizabeth,

John Lewis Jr. the son of the John Lewis that was married to .Lydia was likely married to a woman named Elizabeth.

Private User
11/15/2018 at 7:48 AM

"Elizabeth" and "Isabel(la)" were often used interchangeably from the early Middle Ages down through early Colonial times. "Isabella" is in fact a derivative of "Elizabeth", possibly of Late Latin origin.

If you think that's messy, "Anne", Agnes", and even "Alice"(!) were also considered interchangeable - with much less reason.

11/15/2018 at 8:50 AM

From the profile notes:

[Part of the problem is that she was christened "Elizabeth", but for some reason everyone called her "Isabella".] Note: Elizabeth "Isabella" Miller was the YOUNGER of two sisters.

Her identity is shown by ... well, there’s a long list of references.

11/17/2018 at 1:50 PM

Private User Take a look at the siblings of Maj. John Lewis, of “Chemokins” I think they belong as siblings of Robert Lewis, of Gloucester County although it’s not a great source

Private User
11/17/2018 at 2:58 PM

I'm a little suspicious of *any* "General" Robert Lewis, since it has been found that there was no such person in the British Army, and no record of one in any Virginia militia either.

I think the deal with the only Robert Lewis who turned up in any Virginia records was that he had no military title and only two daughters.

Have a look at Familytreedna.com and see just how many Lewis groups have turned up so far! https://www.familytreedna.com/public/LEWISSurnameDNAProject?iframe=...

11/17/2018 at 3:31 PM

https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000084051536838&

The issue is “who had the property” at 1650 (43)
Poropotank Creek, Gloucester County

and who were his kids. We know that’s the “other” Robert — are we saying this one never came ?

Private User
11/17/2018 at 3:37 PM

Maybe it's just a short for "genitor", "On September 30, 1656, a court for York County was held at the house of Col. Nathaniel Bacon for the auditing and perfecting of the accounts of Robert Lewis, deceased - the accounts kept by Capt. Ralph Langley, who had married Robert Lewis' widow, "administratrix Mary Lewis". At this court, guardians were appointed for two minor children of Robert Lewis". (in the about me field"

Robert Lewis, of York County

11/17/2018 at 4:07 PM

Yes, Ulf. It’s a matter of sorting the kids to their correct parents. The geography is particularly tough in Virginia at this time.

Do we have widow Mary Lewis properly identified?

I’ve just made a new profile for John Lewis, of Henrico County

Private User
11/17/2018 at 7:16 PM

Major John Lewis, of “Chemokins” is Ben Around The World's 9th cousin 18 times removed!

Private User
11/18/2018 at 9:30 AM

As far as I can recall the "two minor children" of Robert Lewis were both girls.

Private User
11/18/2018 at 9:33 AM

I backed into this whole mess in the first place while tracking a Waters line to see if it was related to mine (it wasn't). John Waters

11/18/2018 at 10:04 AM

Children of Children of Robert Lewis & his wife Mary:

William - born about 1632
John - born about 1634, probably in Monmouthshire, Wales note: that’s the mixup person. William & Mary Quarterly found no evidence for this John
Mary - born about 1638 in York Co., VA
Alice - born about 1640 in York Co., VA

I’ll enter profiles for the girls.

11/18/2018 at 10:19 AM

If they were minors in 1656 and Mary Lewis was put in the custody of her stepfather, are those estimated birth dates correct? Mary at 16 & Alice at 18?

11/18/2018 at 11:54 AM

Francis Robert Shackleford

The Shackelford book only has his wife as Sarah, surname unknown.

http://www.shackleford.info/Shackelford_Family_Robert_Baylor_Shacke... Page 13

Shackelford Clan Magazine calls her Sarah Lewis - Shackelford, no parents noted. Apparently a family bible for son John.

http://wvgal.tripod.com/clan6-1.htm

11/18/2018 at 12:17 PM

Sarah Shackelford looks to be an emigrant from Breconshire, parents undefined but she’s a sister of Zachary, Christopher and Dorcas.

http://lewis-genealogy.org/genealogy/Lewis/Zach-96z.htm#a

11/18/2018 at 12:53 PM

There are a lot of Lewis family notes in the profile for Zachary Lewis, Sr., of King & Queen

Private User
11/18/2018 at 2:47 PM

Erica: about "children of Robert Lewis": the ONLY ones actually documented are Mary and Alice. "William" and "John" come from early bad-guesses about the origins of the Warner Hall Lewis family.

It used to be argued (until 1948 or later) that William and John weren't mentioned in Robert's will because they were adults out on their own and therefore didn't need to be mentioned(!). Then the headstone for John Lewis of Monmouthshire was found....

11/18/2018 at 4:01 PM

I’ll make it clearer in the “abouts.”

11/18/2018 at 6:29 PM

We need to progress to the many too many children of Colonel John 'Councillor' Lewis son of Maj. John Lewis, of “Chemokins” & his wife Elizabeth "Isabella" Yard

Councilor Lewis’ wife was Elizabeth Lewis & they currently seem to have populated half of Virginia.

In reality, many of their 14 children died young, and we have names of 8.

I believe this is a good list of kids for them but could use a check, and if they’re not on the list - disconnected. Once that is done I will lock relationships.

i. Col. John4 Lewis, born 1694; married Frances Fielding; married Priscilla Churchill.

ii. Col. Charles Lewis was born on 13 Oct 1696 at prob. 'Chemokins', St. Peter's Parish, New Kent Co., NC. He married Mary Howell, daughter of John Howellb on 28 May 1717. He died in 1779. He resided at 'The Byrd', Goochland Co., VA. He was a member of Council at Virginia. He was an officer in the French & Indian War. He left a will on 1 Sep 1779; proved 20 Dec 1779.

iii. Col. Robert Lewis, born 1704 at 'Warner Hall', Abingdon Parish, Gloucester Co., VA; married Jane Meriwether; married Elizabeth Thornton.

iv. Catherine Lewis was baptized on 2 Nov 1705 at Abingdon Parish, Gloucester Co., VA. She died; young.

v. Elizabeth Lewis was baptized on 2 Nov 1705 at Abingdon Parish, Gloucester Co., VA. She died; young.

vi. Elizabeth Lewis was baptized on 7 May 1706. She married William Rush on 12 Jun 1728. She married Maj. John Bolling, son of Col. John Bolling and Mary Kennon; 1st wife.

vii. Isabella Lewis was baptized on 18 Dec 1707. She married Dr. Thomas Clayton on 14 Jul 1720. She died in 1742. She was buried at 'Warner Hall', Abingdon Parish, Gloucester Co., VA.

viii. Anne Lewis was baptized on 14 Feb 1712 at Abingdon Parish, Gloucester Co., VA

11/18/2018 at 11:21 PM

Does anyone have evidence for spouses of this Martha Clay

11/19/2018 at 12:34 AM

Ignore some of the beginning part of this book (it’s old) but is it a good list of children / their spouses for Elizabeth Warner & Councilor Lewis?

https://books.google.com/books?id=fu4wAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA14#v=onepag...

I’m looking for “daughter who married Francis Meriwether”

Showing all 24 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion