Francis Cooke, "Mayflower" Passenger - Birth and baptism of Francis Cook

Started by Jacquelynn Arlene Mattice on Monday, January 7, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 23 posts
1/7/2019 at 11:29 AM

I have information that states that Francis was born in York Shire England 1577. Baptized at Saint martins in the field, Middlesex, England 1578 and the reference is from the Saint martins in the field and archives of Canterbury, This information was given to my great uncle, Harry Earl Cook, along with much more information. He compiled it into a binder and sent it to my uncle William.

I have been given a great deal of family information, however since I am new to the research process, it would be wonderful to fill in missing pieces and discover new things

Most sincerely,
Jacki Mattice

1/7/2019 at 11:41 AM

Thank you for sharing this and welcome to Geni !

Geni says: Francis Cooke, "Mayflower" Passenger is my first cousin thrice removed's wife's 6th great grandfather - so I’m not a “blood” relative (so far).

There were only a few surviving families and they intermarried, so many of us can find a path to him on Geni.

1/8/2019 at 5:30 AM

Francis Cooke is my 10th Great Grandfather and his son John is my 9th GG, does your info contain any info on his parents? Seems to be either controversy over them or that they don't exist...he has to have a background somewhere!! I would be very interested in any further info, thank you...Cecelia Mendez

1/8/2019 at 1:16 PM

The information you have received , have they been verified or found in England and official?? He is my 8 great grandfather if I remember right.

1/12/2019 at 5:10 AM

That seems too early based on the other information collected here. Could it be another person with the same name?

Private User
1/12/2019 at 9:24 PM

To anyone, when geni returns a relationship such as first cousin thrice removed's wife's 6th great grandfather, YOU HAD BETTER START DOING RESEARCH, this type of return from Geni is a programing problem, and is very misleading as to the true relationship. It means that geni cannot follow a double or triple parallel linkage line. The programing gets locked onto one line and tends to stay there. Example - I have one GGF who had eight children, all of them prove out to be GGP's. Problem comes into play when a person is married more time than once and the child or children of both marriages come to you. I have double and triple GGM's (the same woman) from different marriage's. Geni is the best of all the other sites, but it is bad programing that makes the site bad, especially for you copy and paste types.Geni changed the programing some 3-4 years ago to this crap now. It should run GGP lines only at times. Cousin for me does not count for anything. Sometimes you will get such a return because the child of a parent who is a GGP, has had multiple children of which more than one of them is a GGP. Geni programing can not handle this, none of the other's can either. To many of you just copy and paste with no research. As far as any Mayflower passengers go. There is only one real source for that, it being the Mayflower Society, who keeps records on the passengers as proof comes in on them. You can even call these folks and ask questions and get answers. or just go to the web site. Plain and simple. .. .

1/12/2019 at 11:46 PM

Here’s some compiled information, including tricks and tips, for working with the Geni relationship calculator:

https://www.geni.com/projects/Working-with-Relationships/17570

Private User
1/13/2019 at 11:08 AM

I should have stated this in my other posting but falled to do so. Another reason you get the returns which you do is because it depends on which line to someone you are following, conflicts happens when you reach someone who has more than one line to you. One being such as an uncle and the other line being such as a GGP. Just had it to happen to me again. The same is true of all the Mayflower relatives. You folks are missing too many GGP"s. I have 4 GGP's off the Mayflower, one has 3 lines to me and one has 2 lines to me. You folks don't bother to think. How many people lived through the first winter?, how many lost husband or wife and so remarried before the next ships came in a year later?, giving them children from two different families to form new lines. Look and see the tree when looking at the forest. Or see the forest when looking at the tree. Also, learn to go to the correct places on you internet to get many of the questions you ask answered. And I mean the right places. Because your subject matter is on the internet does not mean that the site you go to is a good one.

Private User
1/24/2019 at 8:47 AM

Francis Cook is my 10x great grandfather, as well (through daughter Jane (Cooke) Mitchell. All I could find out is his father is Richard, and grandfather is Anthony. No dates, or locations.

10/3/2021 at 12:39 AM

Many have looked, none have found, the parents of Francis Cooke.

“There is no evidence to support Edward Cooke and Alice Canton as his parents.”

It’s not even certain he was English.

10/3/2021 at 8:40 AM

Melissa, I think you are not going in the right direction for a “woolcomber.” The members of the Leiden congregation were not of a knightly class. There are interesting studies and analysis to look into on the Separatists.

A quick start:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Puritans_in_North_America

In 1620, a group of Separatists known as the Pilgrims settled in New England and established the Plymouth Colony. The Pilgrims originated as a dissenting congregation in Scrooby led by Richard Clyfton, John Robinson and William Brewster. This congregation was subject to persecution with members being imprisoned or having property seized. Fearing greater persecution, the group left England and settled in the Dutch city of Leiden.

https://www.tribstar.com/news/lifestyles/genealogy-pilgrims-were-se...

The Pilgrims were separatist Puritans who believed that reform within the Church of England was not enough and couldn’t be accomplished. They broke away entirely from the Church to follow their own beliefs. Doing this was illegal in England, where church and state were the same. Their religious movement was mostly comprised of commoners who were uneducated and lacking in wealth. The center of their separatist movement was in the town of Scrooby in Nottinghamshire. This group was led by William Brewster, an educated man of means. …

—-

But we don’t know if Cooke was with them in England or joined them separately / later in Leiden.

The Walloon church was prominent in Leiden and shared many theological views with the English Separatists. And, English - Dutch intermarriage was not unusual ; and some of the Scrooby congregation in fact stayed in Netherlands.

10/3/2021 at 5:13 PM

I think you can edit the profile. His occupation in Leiden was “woolcomber.”

10/3/2021 at 5:31 PM

PS please keep the same formatting. I put many, many hours into that “about.” Thank you.

10/3/2021 at 6:45 PM

Link didn’t work.

10/3/2021 at 7:08 PM

http://www.histarch.illinois.edu/plymouth/GLOSSARY.htm

Freeman

A term which designated citizenship of the Colony, which was restricted to adult males. A freeman possessed the right to vote for the Governor and Assistants and the right to hold office. The laws did not provide any statutory requirement for freemanship, although the oath of allegiance to the Colony required indicated what was expected of those admitted (PCR 11: 156). To be admitted as a freeman appeared only to require approval by the freemen of the town where the person lived before their name could be presented to the General Court of Freemen for approval (PCR 11: 65; 236). Initially all stockholders in the joint-stock company that financed the Colony were freemen, but not all freemen were stockholders. (Fennell 1998: 7). Land ownership did not appear to be a requirement, although freemen may have been granted more land than non-freemen (Langdon 1966: 39n). Legislation could only be approved by the freemen who constituted the General Court, and consequently there were heavy fines imposed on freemen who did not attend the General Court sessions on a regular basis, and towns also imposed fines on freemen who did not attend town meetings. By 1638 the freemen, through the General Court, had passed legislation which allowed them to elect "deputies", representatives who could attend the sessions of the General Court for each town. Only freemen could hold the office of deputies, but the 1638 legislation allowed non-freemen who paid taxes to vote for candidates for deputy. Despite this, all freemen had to attend the election court held in June unless prevented by reason of age or any urgent business when they could vote by proxy; in any other case of default a fine of 10s was imposed (PCR 11: 157).

10/3/2021 at 8:28 PM

What was the pound value? Who was admin?

10/4/2021 at 8:08 PM

This paragraph is part of the speculated descent from Sir Edward Cooke, which is not accepted by The Mayflower Society.

”The history of the parish of Blyth, York, England, shows that Francis Cook came from that parish adjoining Austerfield, in the vicinity of Scrooby, whence came Brewster, Bradford and Robinson. Cook is supposed to have been allied with Edward Cook, a descendant of Sir Edward Coke, knight, lord chief justice of England, and member of the privy council. The father and grandfather of Francis Cook were silk mercers. Francis Cook appears in the list of those designated as "exiles from Scrooby." …

Caleb Johnson is the current historian / genealogist for The Mayflower Society, and I believe is the lead investigator into English origins of the passengers.

10/4/2021 at 8:09 PM

And perhaps some of your questions can be asked of https://www.pilgrimfranciscookesociety.org/about.php

10/4/2021 at 8:15 PM

A caution:

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Cooke-36

Joseph St. Dennis explained: Both Richard Cooke and Anne Caulton; and Edward Cooke and Alice Caunton have been cited as parents of Francis Cooke. But his ancestry remains unknown. Several fictitious ancestries have been presented, some of which are clearly hoaxes. One hoax can be found in chapter 6 of ‘New Light on the Pilgrim Story.' (For a discussion of why this is a hoax, see 'English Ancestry and Homes of the Pilgrim Fathers' by Charles Banks.) Tudor Place, archived at WayBack Machine

10/4/2021 at 9:23 PM

The Y DNA Haplogroup is already mentioned on the Geni profile.

I2- Lineage 3a Cooke of MAYFLOWER in the FamilyTree DNA project. I’ll add that link to profile.

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/cook?iframe=yresults

10/4/2021 at 9:30 PM

Melissa, forgive me, but I have some 50,000 curated profiles to attend to on Geni. I’d like to make this my last edit for Francis. There are many documents uploaded, I hope you find them useful, and also hope you consider contacting some of the organizations mentioned to assist your queries. Another contact suggestion is Lester Bangs at the Leiden Archives, who has been instrumental in bringing to light evidence about the Pilgrims living there, as Francis and Hester did.

Showing all 23 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion