Showing 1-30 of 148 posts
1/26/2019 at 6:42 PM

Too many parents

1/26/2019 at 9:13 PM

I believe that is fixed now.

1/26/2019 at 9:14 PM

Oh thank you 😊

8/19/2019 at 8:29 AM

Someone disconnected me. I am direct but showing as niece now. I made a new Thomas to put him back but that required a request rather than a merge to patch the missing father...I need some help please and looks like the relationships need to be locked please.

8/19/2019 at 8:41 AM

Joshua Jordan, of Nansemond

is still showing as 9th great grandfather to me but someone has cut the father perhaps when they merged and did not choose a father? I deleted the new Thomas I made to merge to fix the missing position but I am thinking perhaps someone can master Joshua and lock these relationships? This line is DNA confirmed for me.

Joshua Jordan, of Nansemond is your 9th great grandfather.
You
→ Viet Nam War Veteran, SFC Freddie Ralph Hicks, Sr
your father → Arvel Yewell Hicks
his father → Theodore Hicks
his father → William J Hicks, Survived Andersonville Prison
his father → Adry Hicks
his father → Joseph Hicks, Sr.
his father → John Hicks
his father → Littleberry "Berry" Hicks
his father → Daniel Hicks
his father → Elizabeth Hicks
his mother → Joshua Jordan, of Nansemond
her father

8/19/2019 at 8:44 AM

Margaret Jordan

Added on July 14, 2019
and not merged to the original

8/19/2019 at 8:49 AM

Margaret Jordan

should work but currently she is showing as aunt: Margaret Jordan is your 11th great aunt.
You
his father → Sarah Ann Hicks
his mother → Martha Pacey Roberts
her mother → Mitchell Pool
her father → John P Pool
his father → William Poole, Jr.
his father → Elizabeth Poole
his mother → James Tarpley
her father → Mary Tarpley
his mother → Mary Peachey
her mother → Margaret Jordan
her sister
while the duplicate one that was made is showing as Margaret Jordan is your 10th great grandmother.
You
his father → Adry Hicks
his father → John Hicks
his mother → Joshua Jordan, of Nansemond
her father → Margaret Jordan
his mother
Now I am really confused--I have several lines that I am a granddaughter to two siblings via cousin marriages/unions so I wonder if this is what I am seeing here now that one is disconnected.

8/19/2019 at 8:58 AM

Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087

I think that I have fixed it, please check that it shows up correctly on your side.

8/19/2019 at 9:02 AM

Tamás Flinn Caldwell-Gilbert
No, still showing as niece--what appears to be the problem is a new set of parents and they need merged with the curated profiles and maybe someone can master the profile that got disconnected in the first place (Joshua Jordan) when a new user created them?

8/19/2019 at 9:08 AM

Oh now! Yes! Thank you so so much <3
The parents relationships are locked already but I think I will request Joshua Jordan of Nansemond be locked as well
Thank you so much again Tamás Flinn Caldwell-Gilbert

8/19/2019 at 9:09 AM

Margaret (Brasseur) Jordan is Cynthia Curtis (Hicks), TN491427c1's 10th great grandmother.

https://www.geni.com/path/Cynthia-Curtis-Hicks-TN491427c1+is+relate...

8/19/2019 at 9:29 AM

Yes Angus Wood-Salomon! Yay. Thank you both ( Tamás Flinn Caldwell-Gilbert ) so very much...I know is a silly thing but I was so anxious at seeing them disconnected. I appreciate the curators very much

8/19/2019 at 2:41 PM

Made Joshua Jordan, of Nansemond into an MP. I don’t think we’re “there” yet but we should drive toward being able to lock relationships for this entire family group (siblings and spouses): this Jordan family is well documented in Hinshaw’s Records and also easily mixed up with other Jordan families.

8/19/2019 at 3:00 PM

Oh what a relief! Thank you Erica Howton

8/19/2019 at 3:13 PM

And Tamás Flinn Caldwell-Gilbert turns out I am showing as a granddaughter to both sisters...another cousin line her. Very strange to decipher but really cool when is found and perhaps at times the reason the DNA speaks so clearly so far back. I have an Agnes Jordan that I am wondering if is also connected to this Jordan family..time will tell, or not?
Thank you so much for this today everyone! I found a new cousin through this too so very cool day. Thank you.

8/19/2019 at 3:14 PM

*cousin line here, not her

8/19/2019 at 3:22 PM

Good article, Cynthia.

“The records of the Chuckatuck meeting-house (1673-1728), a copy of which is in the possession of the writer, show that the Quakers were numerous and practically unmolested. They had four meeting-houses in the county, "built by the highway side." Their martyrology is a brief one, the most conspicuous martyr being Thomas Jordan. The sketch of this worthy is characteristic. "Thomas Jordan, of Chuckatuck in Nansemond county in Virginia, was born in ye year 1634 and in ye year 1660 he Received ye truth and Abode faithfull in it, and in constant unity with ye faithfull friends thereof; and stood in opposition against all wrong and Desateful spirits, having suffered ye spoiling of his goods and ye imprisonment of his Body for ye truth's sake and continued in ye truth unto the End of his dayes." Jordan refused to pay tithes and defied the magistrates in court. He was sent on to the Governor's Council, where he was dismissed with a reprimand. ...”

He and Margaret Brasseur are wonderful ancestors to have.

8/19/2019 at 3:34 PM

Erica Howton, seems to me that to be "unmolested" is a very good thing, especially when considering all the different usages for the word...
Yes, this is along my father's line...I do so love this line

8/19/2019 at 3:35 PM

Erica Howton Thank you. Is a lovely compliment and I do so appreciate it and the work you have done.

8/19/2019 at 3:51 PM

I think that I good place to start in tidying up the family tree is with the children of Joshua Jordan, of Nansemond. He is usually listed as having eight children (the ones in his will):

1. Sarah Jordan b: 1700 in Virginia
2. Rachel Jordan b: 24 MAR 1702/03 in Virginia
3. Mary Millicent Jordan b: 1704 in King William Co. Virginia
4. Matthew Jordan b: 1705 in Virginia
5. Joshua Josiah Jordan, Jr b: 1708 in Virginia
6. Elizabeth Jordan b: 1710 in Virginia
7. Margaret Jordan b: 1712 in Virginia
8. Susannah Jordan b: 1714 in Virginia
It seems that there may have been a 9th, Josiah, who died at a young age.
https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Jordan-604

We have 10 children on Geni, not 8. My guess would be that one of the two Elizabeths: Elizabeth Hicks and Eliza Dean and Charles Jordan, Sr. are the stowaways. Any thoughts?

Charles Jordan's cenotaph transcription on FindAGrave supposedly has him as the son of John and Jean Jordan. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/98347801/charles-jordan

8/19/2019 at 6:12 PM

I’m working on the Ratcliff’s (who had several marriages with Jordan’s) and am running into a confusion between Richard Ratcliffe, of Isle of Wight & Richard Ratcliffe, I, of Chuckatuck

Going with what’s in Hinshaw here:

https://media.geni.com/p13/67/60/8a/c4/5344484e1406089c/145d4670-47...

Which is also reflected in the probate record. So the earlier Richard needs clarifying.

8/19/2019 at 7:35 PM

Elizabeth Ratcliff

Elizabeth Ratcliff is your 9th great grandmother.
You
his father → Adry Hicks
his father → John Hicks
his mother → Elizabeth Ratcliff
her mother

8/19/2019 at 11:51 PM

We need to source & clarify the two Elizabeth’s: Elizabeth Hicks & Eliza Dean

I’ve added Charles Jordan, Sr. to correct parents John Jordan, Jr. but not sure where he belongs. Thoughts ?

Added missing son Josiah Jordan

8/20/2019 at 12:37 AM

And also - who was Elizabeth Jordan

8/20/2019 at 3:21 AM

I think that I have found where Charles Jordan, Sr. belongs. It seems that he is part of Richard Jordan, Jr., of Surry County's descendants.

http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~jordanfamily/genealogy/richard_jorda... has this to say about his wife, Abigale Jordan:

"Abigail White was daughter (acc. to Ancestral File) of Henry White who m. 10 July, 1681, Perquimans MM Demaris Morison. We have not located an authenticated source for the marriage date and her maiden name. Published records of Henry White in Hinshaw regarding the family of Henry White do not include a daughter Abigail. The Whites were in Perquimens and records show the two families well aquainted so such a marriage is logical but the evidence is not been found."

8/20/2019 at 12:21 PM

Just now seeing all and added a discussion link here that was added/started by someone else on another profile...

Showing 1-30 of 148 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion