William Browen - William Browen and relationship to the Noyes

Started by Ronald Suiter on Friday, February 8, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 90 posts
2/8/2019 at 11:30 AM

This was a response we got....Makes sense to me..

When I was at the Trowbridge Wiltshhire Record Office many times I noticed the LDS of Utah microfilming the Wiltshire parish registers.(it has been moved now to a different city) So the registers for Calne, Wilts. have been found on LDS #1279348 & for brother Michael #082411 in Durnford, Wilts. which was another Brown family homeplace. Michael is mentioned in the will of Brother George who died young in 1642 in Newbury, MA and states that Michael and their father were still in England in 1642. So travel to England is not necessary to check on the birth of Richard Browne b1613 and his brothers and 2 sisters. The knowledge of all his brothers and sisters confirms that Richard of Calne is indeed your wife's ancestor. Her distant cousin, Douglas Brown, has posted on his tree on MyHeritage.com the complete information including a nice analysis of the subclade R-DF83 (the Browns from Richard Browne). Also found was a change in surname in Calne done by William Brown changing his name and the same children listed in parish registers as being then named Browen. Several lineages of the Mendenhalls in the USA did the same thing in order to specially distinguish their family line. However, in both cases of the Mendenhalls and the William Browen family, the children could later change the name back to the former name as the Browns did. But that provides a double check on Richard Brown b1613 as being born in Calne, Wilts, UK to William Browne bc the 1580's.

So Sarah Noyes was not his sister. Nor was Richard a son of Joseph like Sarah was. Sarah's will names a James Brown as her brother. Sailing with Sarah and her husband is named her brother-in-law, Nicholas Noyes, not the brother-in-law of Richard Brown who was on the same ship with his brother, George. George died young in 1642 and left a will which names two of his brothers as Richard of Newbury, MA and Michael who still lived in Southampton, UK along with their father who lived past 1642. Ship records show that Sarah and James Noyes came from Cholderton, Wilts, UK. That was only 5 miles from Durnford, Wilts. where Michael Brown was born as stated above. The Sir George Brown family in the line that went to Newbury, MA in 1634 during the 1500's lived in Surry like George did and then Suffolk, finally moving to Southampton about the mid 1500s. Then we find them in ownership of estates all over Wiltshire. William Browen himself is said to be born and lived at one of those Wiltshire estates, namely Salterton, Durnford, Wiltshire. The father of Joseph Brown b1580 and several brothers is seen to be William Browne b1550 who had his children by two wives from 1575-1587. Edmund b1576 is as of now stated as the firstborn to William b1550. But no son named William is listed on Geni for William of 1550 birth. I propose that William Browen bc1586 is the missing William son of William b1550. His birth fits right in the family record of children for William the elder. He might have been indeed the firstborn of William. Sarah when she married James Noyes became a close relative of Rev. Thomas Noyes and Sarah and James and Richard and George were all in the church in Newbury pastored by Thomas Noyes. So they were all apparently closely related to one another

2/8/2019 at 11:47 AM

Ah - the Brown brothers who came to Newbury !

Richard Brown, of Newbury

George Brown, of Newbury

Let’s check what Anderson’s Great Migration Project has for them.

Roland Henry Baker, III Any thoughts ?

2/8/2019 at 11:49 AM

(I am particularly fond of George and his useful will).

2/8/2019 at 12:57 PM

Gary Allen Singleton I thank you for all your help

2/8/2019 at 1:04 PM

Wiltshire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 I found a baptism record for George 1611 father william Browen. I put it on Ancestry site not sure how to get it over to this site.

2/8/2019 at 1:37 PM

Subject: Quote from Googled "Magenweb.org/Essex/Newbury' called "Newbury Ancestors"

This one seems to be a good choice because it includes the ancestry from James and Sarah (Brown) Noyes:

Two brothers, Rev. James Noyes and Nicholas Noyes, came to Massachusetts aboard the ship Mary and John in March 1633, and were part of the first group of about forty settlers of Newbury, MA in 1635. Their father was Rev. William Noyes, rector of Cholderton (county Wilts), England [about 11 miles from Salisbury], a graduate of University College, Oxford in 1592. Their mother was Anne Parker (sister of the scholar, Robert Parker); their cousin Rev. Thomas Parker accompanied them.

James and Nicholas had two older brothers, Ephraim (1596 - 1659); and Nathan (1597 - 1651) who succeeded their father as rector of Cholderton. A younger sister and brother remained in England.

REV. JAMES NOYES

Rev. James Noyes was born in 1608. He entered Oxford (Brasenose College) in 1627 but did not complete a degree: he was invited by his cousin and former teacher, Rev. Thomas Parker, to teach with him at the Free School in Newbury, England [a town in Berkshire on the river Kennet, about 56 miles west from London], which they did together before coming to New England. (James Noyes was reported to be especially masterful in Greek and later wrote several learned treatises concerning religious subjects.) He married (in 1633) Sarah Brown of Southampton, England.

Notice it states that their father (Noyes) was rector (pastor) at Cholderton, Wilts. So that was how James Noyes was brought close to the Brown family then of Wiltshire nearby and Sarah met James. Good confirmation.

2/8/2019 at 1:39 PM

A search of church records in the Calne, Wiltshire co. area did turn up a family of Browne's who may fit.

According to "The Great Migration New England Immigrants 1634-1635 Vol. I A-B pg 418 -420 and 432-435" " appears a ref; to parish records in Calne, Wilts, for a William Browne whos sons: George baptized September 1611 and Richard 31 Oct. 1613...

Further investigation found a Name change (Possibly by a clerk) Browen.....for

Richard Browen b:1613, Christening, Father William Browen, Calne, Wilts, Co. Eng. Batch # C39063-1, origin Eng-Vr, GS Film # 1279348, Ref: 2:2P0VRX, FHL Micro.#1,279,348

George Browen b: 1611 Christening, Father William Browen, Calne, Wilts, Co. Eng. Batch # C39063-1, origin Eng-VR, GS Film # 1279348, Ref: 2:2P0NME, FHL Micro.#1,279,348

Michael Browen B: 20 Sept. 1612 Drunford, Wiltshire, Eng. Batch # PO1399-1, origin Eng-ODM, GS Film # 082411 IT6, FHL Micro.# 0824211 IT

and again more searching found; in the FamilySearch.Org.

Matching Batch #'s C39063-1 Origin #'s Eng.-VR Gs Film #'s 1279348 Micro Film #'s 1279348 for the following persons;

Ref: 2:2PO26IX Anne Browen Christened 1606 Calne, Wilts, Father William Browen

Ref: 2:2POK5N Grace Browen Christened 1610 " " " " "

Ref: 2:2P2OCG William Browen " 1608 " " " " "

2/8/2019 at 3:01 PM

Hi Ron,

The "Search for passengers of the Mary & John 1630" series published in the 1990's showed that most of the passengers came from Wiltshire indeed. Anderson notes that George Brown and Richard Brown of Newbury were brothers and that they had a brother Michael per the will noted above. Anderson in The Great Migration suspects they were the sons of William Brown of Calne, Wiltshire with George bp Sep 1611 and Richard in 31 OCT 1613. With the additional bp of Michael on 20 SEP 1612 in Durnford it seems highly likely that this is the correct origin of the Newbury Brown Brothers.

Sarah Brown wife of Rev James Noyes was married in Romsey, Hampshire, England and was the daughter of Joseph Brown. In the Great Migration it is noted she had a brother James Brown but his identification isn't certain. Anderson proposes that he might have been the Rev James Brown of Portsmouth.

And we have several other Brown families from Wiltshire who came to New England. For example The widow Christian Brown who came to New England from Salisbury, Wiltshire with her three sons George, Henry and William Brown to Salisbury, Massachusetts.

These families we very possibly all closely connected but exactly how is not yet clear.

But as far as Browns related to the whole Noyes/Parker complex we should also consider Richard Brown b c1576 who came to Watertown in 1630 and then to Charletown and died before 6 Oct 1660. He saved the life of Robert Parker who was father to Rev Thomas Parker of Newbury, MA and father of Sarah Parker who married first John Woodbridge who also had two sons who came to New England and married second Thomas Baylie. Robert Parker was also brother to Ann Parker who married William Noyes and was mother to the Noyes family we are referring to above:

Rev. Robert Parker, Rector of Patney

So we have another very close relationship - probably a family relationship from Wiltshire between a Brown family and the Noyes/Parker family. Robert Parker born c1564 perhaps at Wilton, Wiltshire (Parents not known) perhaps a relative of the earls of Pembroke graduated Oxford and Magdalen became a fellow. He was made rector on 23 Sep 1591 by Henry Herbert, 2nd Earl of Penbroke at Patney, Wiltshire. He was also gifted the role of warden of St. Nicholas Hospital, Salisbury. About this time he married first Dorothy Stevens and had a daughter Sara Parker bp 15 Apr 1593 at Patney, Wiltshire. He resigned both positions on 11 Jun 1593 and was appointed rector of Wilton, Wiltshire (the seat of the Herbert family). For 14 years he was surrounded by some of England’s greatest intellects, poets and playwrights. In 1594 the Earl appointed him to the rectorship of Stanton St. Bernard, Wiltshire. In 1607 he published “A Scholasticall Discourse Against Symbolizing with Antichrist in Ceremonies, Especially in the Signe of the Cross.” In this place he had son Thomas Parker born c1595 and shortly after Elizabeth Parker. This work published in the Netherlands won him prosecution in the ecclesiastic court of the Bishop. In 1612 he wrote and open letter to clear his name:

“I was certified… long sithence of a vain rumor spread of me in England, as if I had joined with the schism of them, who commonly called *BROWNISTS* This report was much strengthened (as I was then informed) by the slanders of one Samuel Wats, who gave forth about Sarum [Salisbury], that I had read or seen the fantastical book which he a little before had printed: a fond and frivolous untruth, yet so prevailing with some, forgetting the Commandment, Thou salt not receive a false tale against they neighbor, as that thereupon my deprivation was hastened.”

He was exiled from Wilton in 1607 and was hiding in London with Dr. William Ames. It was Robert Brown who saved his life and ferried him to the Netherlands. Robert Brown was “a man of good understanding and well versed in the discipline of the separation, having been a ruler in one of their churches in London.” Robert Brown became a ruling elder in Watertown. Robert Brown conveyed Dr. William Ames and Robert Parker aboard their vessel at Gravesend as they were being pursued. Once in Leiden William Bradford notes they joined Henry Jacobs. There Robert Parker moved to Amsterdam and joined John Paget’s church in 1612. He died in the Spring of 1614 at Doesburg, Netherland while acting as preacher in the English garrison. His widow Dorothy made her will 10 Oct 1649 a “Midenhall in Wiltshire” and names her children Mr Thomas Parker of New England and her daughter Sarah Baylie and Elizabeth Avery. Thomas Parker of Newbury, MA wrote “The visitations and the Prophecies of Daniel” and sent it to his brother-in-law Thomas Baylie who dedicated it to Philip [Herbert] Earl of Pembroke in for the dependence of his father Robert Parker and to his honorable father Henry Herbert.

In Mather’s Magnalia 1:484: “Mr. James Noyes was born, 1608 at Choulderton in Wiltshire, of godly and worthy parents. His father was minister of the same town, a very learned man, the school-master of Mr. Thomas Parker. His mother was sister to the learned Mr. Robert Parker…”

I’m digressing a lot here but I think it is clear the Brown family of Wiltshire was very powerful and kept ties over many generations. So William Brown b 1550 was probably related to all of these Browns and probably to the younger William Brown. But not necessity was he father to the younger William Brown. At least I haven’t seen evidence for it. Some of these Browns were more distant cousins but were evidently very close.

2/8/2019 at 4:02 PM

Rev. Robert Parker here is the correct profile:

The basic facts should be:

== Rev Robert Parker ==
* Parents unknown
* Brother of Ann Parker wife of Rev William Noyes
* born say 1564 Wilton, Wiltshire, England
* died Spring of 1614 at Doesburg, Netherland while acting as preacher in the English garrison.
* Married (once) in Patney, Wiltshire Dorothy Stevens before 1593
* His widow Dorothy left a will dated 10 Oct 1649 at “Midenhall in Wiltshire” [https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/48511/GleaningsEnglandI-001603... link]
== Children ==
# Sara Parker bp 15 Apr 1593 Patney, Wiltshire m/1 John Woodbridge m/2 Thomas Baylie
# Rev Thomas Parker b 1595 Wilton, Wiltshire died 1677 Newbury, MA unmarried
# Elizabeth c1597 Wilton, Wiltshire m Timothy Avery remained in England

We need to remove the child Joseph Parker and the parents and make Ann sister via NN parents. It looks like we created two generations out of one man and had his father going to Holland which isn't correct. We don't know who his father was according to Anderson's Puritan Pedigrees published December 2018. I attended his lecture on this topic earlier last fall.

2/8/2019 at 4:37 PM

Gary Allen Singleton Try using Foxfire. The tag system doesn't work for me in Chrome.

2/8/2019 at 4:42 PM

Erica Howton I updated the notes on Rev. Robert Parker, Rector of Patney but it'll probable be best for you to do the final snips and locked of the profile.

2/8/2019 at 5:03 PM

I gave the wrong surname for the pastor of the church for all the Browns and Noyes' in Newbury, MA. His name was really Rev. Thomas Parker bc 1600 and it is believed he married Richard and his wife before they left for America. And he joined them on the voyage. The Thomas Parker family married into the Noyes family a generation or 2 before the marriage of Sarah to James Noyes. So cousins Sarah, Richard, and George Browne along with the Noyes family including her husband and his brother and then the Thomas Parker family were all together on the same ship. They tried Ipswich MA first but then decided to go to Newbury, MA to start their church. One of the Brown family close descendants was later ordained as pastor of that same church.

2/8/2019 at 5:43 PM

Rev. Thomas Parker was the son of Robert Parker whose life was saved by Robert Brown above. Possibly they were related.

Then there are two Richard Browns one of Watertown and Charlestown who died bef. 6 Oct 1660 and save the above Thomas Parker [GMB 262-66; WF 154-59; TAG 56:24]. He had a son Thomas with an unknown wife. He married second to Elizabeth (unknown) who married second to Richard Jackson and died in Cambridge 11 Jan 1676.

Then there is the second Richard Brown probable bp 31 Oct 1613 in Calne son of William who married by 1642 Edith (Unknown). He married second Elizabeth Greenleaf and died 26 Apr 1661 in Newbury. [GM 2: 1 :432-35].

In both cases we don't know the maiden name of the first wives. So how could we know that either was married by Thomas Parker if we don't have any marriage event?

As far as Browns who were pastors we have very many. The whole Brown family from Wiltshire was full of them.

I think what we are looking at here is "gleaning" or "clues." I'm looking at research published 2018 and I'm still not seeing evidence of how these people are actually related. That they are related somehow I do think is reasonable. If you can take a look at "Search for passengers of the Mary & John 1630" series and see if you can pick it apart. Also take a look at Robert Charles Anderson, Puritan Pedigrees, The Deep Roots of the Great Migration to New England (Boston, MA: NEHGS, Dec 2018) 291-308.

2/8/2019 at 6:47 PM

I’ve cleaned up the family of Rev. Robert Parker, Rector of Patney

Here’s a note from

A P Baggs, Elizabeth Crittall, Jane Freeman and Janet H Stevenson, 'Parishes: Patney', in A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 11, Downton Hundred; Elstub and Everleigh Hundred, ed. D A Crowley (London, 1980), pp. 203-208. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/wilts/vol11/pp203-208 [accessed 9 February 2019].

Rober Parker [Patney] rector 1591–3, was afterwards forced to live abroad because of his extreme puritan views. (fn. 103)

2/8/2019 at 6:57 PM

This profile is mixed up. Can anyone help fix ?

2/8/2019 at 7:33 PM

I decided to deal with the extra Robert Parker by merging him into the Rev & disconnecting from not his parents in Lancashire, Robert Parker & Elizabeth Ann Parker ; and also extra wife Mary Eydith Stevens & child Richard Parker

If anyone knows where they belong ...

2/8/2019 at 10:12 PM

Also note

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Woodbridge_V

Rev. John Woodbridge V, born 1582 at Stanton, Wiltshire, England, died 9 December 1637 at Stanton, Wiltshire, England; married Sarah Parker, born 1583 at Cholderton, Wiltshire, England, died 1683, daughter of Rev. Robert Parker, of Wiltshire, who himself was descended from the Spencer Family of Althorp, Northamptonshire ....

2/8/2019 at 10:15 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spencer_family

close relative of Henry Spencer (died c. 1478) was John Spencer, who in 1469 had become feoffee (trustee) of Wormleighton in Warwickshire and a tenant at Althorp in Northamptonshire in 1486. His nephew, Sir John Spencer (died 1522), first made a living by trading in livestock and other commodities and eventually saved enough money to purchase both the Wormleighton and Althorp lands. Wormleighton was bought in 1506, the manor house was completed in 1512. In 1508, Spencer also purchased the estate of Althorp with its moated house and several hundred acres of farmland.[5] He had grazed sheep here from the 1480s. Impressed by the quality of the land, he eventually bought it and rebuilt the house in 1508.[6] At that time, his estate and mansion in Warwickshire were considerably larger, the house in Wormleighton was four times the size of Althorp.[6] In 1511 he made further purchases to acquire the villages of Little Brington and Great Brington as well their parish church of St Mary the Virgin, from Thomas Grey, 2nd Marquess of Dorset.[5] By putting down roots at Althorp, Spencer provided what was to become a home for the next 19 generations.[6] In 1519 he was knighted by King Henry VIII, died three years later and was buried in the new family chapel at Great Brington.[5]

—-

There should be good records on this family.

2/9/2019 at 6:19 AM

That's exactly what I was thinking - just merge the two into one. Nice work!

One notr on wife Dorothy Stevens/Stephen and her brother Benjamin. Their parents aren't known yet. It appears to me the only evidence of her maiden name is that she names her brother Benjamin Stevens in her will. As much as we might like Nicholas Stephens to be ancestor to her I can't find evidence of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Parker_%28minister%29

Under Family:

It has been claimed[27] that Dorothy and her brother the Revd. Richard Stevens (and possibly Anne) were children of Nicholas Stephens (d. 1611) and his wife Frances Brydges, daughter of Sir Richard Brydges, of Burderop Park, Chiseldon, Wiltshire.[28] However their names do not appear as children of Nicholas Stephens in his will or pedigree.[29]

Claim:

J.J. Currier, "Ould Newbury": Historical and Biographical Sketches (Damrell & Upham, Newbury, Mass. 1896), p. 165. See Noyes & Noyes (1904), Genealogical Record I, p. 45, who at first rejected the claim, but after further research accepted it.

Claim refuted:

For Stephens of Burderop see 'Chiseldon: Manors and other estates', in R.W. Dunning, K.H. Rogers, P.A. Spalding, C. Shrimpton, J.H. Stevenson and M. Tomlinson, A History of the County of Wiltshire Vol. 9, ed. E. Crittall (V.C.H. London, 1970), pp. 6-

British History Online
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/wilts/vol9/pp6-23

'The Society's MSS. Chiseldon and Draycot' (continued), Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine Vol. 30 for 1898-99 (1899), pp. 126-142.
https://archive.org/stream/wiltshirearchaeo30arch#page/126/mode/2up

Also:

Will of Ann (Parker) Noyes
https://archive.org/stream/genealogicalreco001noye#page/44/mode/2up

2/9/2019 at 8:07 AM

I think we have Ann Parker Noyes wrong.

From https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Parker_(minister)_

When his wife's sister Ann married, he became brother (in-law) of William Noyes, minister of Cholderton, Wiltshire.

——

Here’s Richard Stevens

2/9/2019 at 8:37 AM

Oops I’m wrong and she’s controversial:

Anne Noyes

pg. 45 states that “The statement that Rev. William Noyes married Anne Stephens, daughter of Nicholas Stephens, Esq., of Burdrop Manor, Wilts, England, and that she was the mother of James and Nicholas Noyes, had been admitted to be undoubtedly incorrect.” This page also shows a copy of Anne Parker’s will.

Ancestry.com has a copy of vol. 1 of this book. Vol. 1 also states that Rev. William Noyes married Anne Parker. It also states that she was named administratrix of his estate after his death and that she was buried 7 March 1657 at Cholderton (per parish register).

2/9/2019 at 9:42 AM
2/9/2019 at 10:20 AM

Notes and Queries: A Medium of Inter-Communication for Literary ..., Volume 32 Page 433

https://books.google.com/books?id=LhDX6YsHssIC&pg=PA433&lpg...

2/9/2019 at 11:16 AM

@Douglas Russell Brown: Hello and thank you for your information on my Brown, Browen, Browne family. I was at a loss and had no idea which way to look for information on Williams' father other than I knew he was a William. I was not sure if Trowbridge was the right town a long with Durnford. I was about ready pull the plug on the search, with out documents or YDNA to make a clear connection between R & G to William and who and where was Williams family.

Ron: I understand from your statement you are either a researcher or worked at the Wiltshire Records office, may I say you live in Wiltshire Co. Calne, Durnford, Trowbridge area. My question is are there Browne. Browen, Brown family still living there who can claim ancestry to the Brothers??? And IF so would they be will to take a YDNA rest???

You all have provided a lot of information to consider, I have some reading to do.

2/9/2019 at 11:39 AM
2/9/2019 at 12:01 PM

Douglas Russell Brown There was a mention of YDNA, R-DF83. Two of us in the Family Tree YDNA [www.familytreedna.com/groups/brown-dna-study] Brown, group #71 have taken this SNP's test...I took it to confirm the first and it would be the same for the others. On my last count there were 11 other Brown's who match me ranging from
(1) 0 of 67 Genetic distance match: (1) 1 of 67 match, (2) 2 of 67 match,
(3) 1 of 37 match, and (2) 2 of 37 match, (1) 3 of 37 match, (1) 4 of 37 match.

It would be nice to find that family connection still alive with Doc's to match.

2/9/2019 at 2:04 PM

Douglas Russell Brown I find this all very interesting, good read.
Ron may I inquirer:
. The Sir George Brown [ who is this??]
family in the line { related to Richard & George}
that went to Newbury, MA in 1634 { this refers to Richard and George??}
during the 1500's lived in Surry {Sir. George lived in Surry??}
like George {which George??}
did and then Suffolk, finally moving to Southampton about the mid 1500s.
Then we find them in ownership of estates all over Wiltshire. [this makes sense] William Browen himself is said to be born and lived at one of those Wiltshire estates, namely Salterton, Durnford, Wiltshire.{ok..again I can see this}
The father of Joseph Brown b1580 {Joseph is Sarah's father??}
and several brothers is seen to be William Browne b1550 who had his children by two wives from 1575-1587.{I can follow that}
Edmund b1576 is as of now stated as the firstborn to William b1550. But no son named William is listed on Geni for William of 1550 birth.{ that makes sense}
I propose that William Browen bc1586 is the missing William son of William b1550. {that would follow customer practice}
His birth fits right in the family record of children for William the elder. { your referring to William 1550??}

2/9/2019 at 2:48 PM

Erica Howton That William Noyes married to Ann Parker is a long settled issue. There is no controversy. Some well meaning but ill information person posted a newspaper article making a counter claim in the early 20th century and had no reviewed the evidence or the published genealogies. It is bunk. Nicholas Noyes sent a letter to Cotton Mather recounting his family in England and directly stated that William Noyes wife was Ann Parker. And Ann Parker named the New England Noyes brother in her will as her sons. Evidence against - zip. The only reasonable counter-thought was by Davis in The Ancestry of Abel Lunt. He agreed that William Noyes had married Ann Parker but wondered if William Noyes might have had an earlier wife just because she didn't name all the children in her will. The but theory has been exhausted and the evidence supporting it was been zip. In fact having read thousands of English will from this period in England I can say that while there are constraints in heirs named in the will of fathers these do not apply to mothers and the mothers often name only some of her living offspring as heirs this is very common. Probably in some cases because they have limited property and in some cases because they have already given a share before death to some offspring and sometimes out of alienation, or perception of unequal need. Regardless this has been studied exhaustively and if you want to get into go to Portsmouth and you'll find all the follow up research that Walter Goodwin Davis and Sybil Noyes did after Davis published Lunt Anc. It is an enormous project including all Noyes wills available and all parish records in the area. They never raised the objection a second time. A summary of their research was published in Kempton Ancestry. And followed up with:

Smith, Dean Crawford. Four Generations of English Ancestry for the Noyes Families of New England. New England Historical and Genealogical Register. (New England Historic Genealogical Society, Apr 1995), 149:116-121.

Paul C Read and Dean Crawford Smith, The English Ancestry of Peter1 Noyes, New England Historical and Genealogical Register. (New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1998) 152:259-85

Robert Charles Anderson, "Voyage of the Jonathan, 1639 in The Great Migration Newsletter (2013) 22:1-3, 8

Sumner Chilton Powell, Puritan Village, Puritan Village: The Foundation of a New England Town (Middletown, Connecticut, 1963) Chapter One, The Web of Open-field Life."

Robert Charles Anderson, FASG, Puritan Pedigrees, The Deep Roots of the Great Migration to New England (Boston, MA: NEHGS, Dec 2018) 291-308

So well did the Noyes brother of Newbury know their own kin as they were able to identify their forth cousins living in Salisbury, MA aka Peter Noyes et. al. And their ancestry now goes back a further four generation beyond William Noyes.

2/9/2019 at 3:56 PM

Yes, I read further and saw that Ann Noyes sister of Dorothy Stevens had been debunked. They should get it off Wikipedia. :)

I’m going to add missing Scudder children to Geni.

2/9/2019 at 4:23 PM

Sir George Browne he is referring to is probably George Brown c1440 - 4 Dec 1483 son of Thomas Brown who died 20 Jul 1460 of Betchworth Castle, Surrey, and Eleanor FitzAlan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Browne_(died_1483)

I'm not aware of any evidence that would connect this family to the Wiltshire or Hampshire family. However Peter Brown of the Mayflower was from Dorking, Surrey, England son of Willaim Browne where the pedigree ends. No known connection was found but at least they were in the same area. [The American Genealogist, 79(July 2004):161-178]

As per Joseph Brown of Southampton, Hampshire the source for this is Cotton Mather's Magnalia p 484 based on letters from the Noyes families (see Anderson):

https://archive.org/details/magnaliachristia185501math/page/484

Joseph Brown of Southampton, Hampshire was father of Sarah Brown who married James Noyes. In her will she names her brother James Brown who was almost certainly the Rev James Brown of Portsmouth and Newbury. He was living and in both places in 1674 [MBCR 1:373; NeTR 4; EQC 1:40; GMB 253]. (See Savage 1:268 and GDMNH 115.] He is *not* the James Brown who died in Salem in 1676. And Joseph Brown of Southampton, Hampshire has not been fully researched and the identity of his wife is currently not known (but probably could be discovered) but she certain was not XXXX Hibbert as shown on GENI right now. Currently he has two wrong wives and is father to the wrong James Brown:

Joseph Browne, of Southampton

The only Brown to have a wife named Hibbert was George Brown bp 19 May 1693 and died 1633 in Salisbury, Wilshire. He had a wife Christian Hibbart married 30 Sep 1611 in Salisbury and probably your kinsman. He was father to immigrants to New England: Henry, William and George. SyTR 1, 13, 14; HvBOP 7] Lydia Harmon Anc 69-72; American Genealogist, The 68:53; Essex Genealogist, The 2:191; 29:154

William Brown born say 1580of Calne, Wiltshire, England was father to the immigrants Richard and George Brown of Newbury and of Michael of Durnford. He is certainly in this family. [GM 2:1 :432-35 & GM 2:1:418-20].

My guess is for the Wiltshire families we are looking at first to fourth cousins. If the Noyes family knew there forth cousins and traveled with them multiple times why not the Browns? The problem is we have vital records going way back for cities like Trowbridge but not for several other parishes. So we really need to look to other records.

Showing 1-30 of 90 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion