Jean de La Fontaine - Generational conflicts

Started by Sharon Elizabeth Richards on Tuesday, April 23, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 2 posts
4/23/2019 at 7:55 AM

Arthur de la Fontaine cannot be the son of Jacques de la Fontaine he was born 100 yrs too soon. Is anyone looking at dates logically here? Jean and Arthur who are listed as siblings were born nearly 100 years apart???

2/8/2021 at 11:12 PM

Kindly check my research as I agree with you. Guyonne le Royer according to my research to date married the father of Arthur whose name also is Jean de la Fontaine. Here's what I have, but I have not been able to verify with historical records yet.

2.B. Jean de la Fontaine, Chevalier (Knight) and Buyonne de Monthibault are the parents of:
2.B.1. Guy de La Fontaine, Lord of Seville who married Buyonne De Audigne (My 16th GGF) and are the parents of:
2.B.1.1. Jean de la Fontaine who married Guyonne le Royer (My 15th GGPs) [Not verified] and are the parents of:
2.B.1.X3. Arthur de La Fontaine who married Susanne de Gordon (My 14th GGPs) and are the parents of:
2.B.1.X4. Gilles de La Fontaine who married Antionette de Maine (My 13th GGPs) and are the parents of:
2.Jean [John] de la Fontaine AKA James The Martyr who married Jeanne Chabot (My 12th GGPs). It was these two who had four sons, namely:

• 2.1. Jean de la Fontaine (My 11th Great Uncle)
B. c. 1545 Maine, Charente, Poitou-Charentes, France
D. May 10, 1563 in Le Mans, Sarthe, Pays de la Loire, France.
Cause of Death: Murdered with his parents at the age of 18.
According historical records I have come across, this ancestor married twice and left property at Rochelle amounting to 9,000 livres. This is the guy who saved his younger siblings’ lives after witnessing his parents and older brother get murdered by Catholic troops, Christian terrorists. Along with his parents and brother, the butler was also killed.
B. 1549 in Maine, Charente, Poitou-Charentes, France
D. 1633 in La Rochelle, Charente-Maritime, Poitou-Charentes, France
Religion: Protestant
1603: M. my 11th GGM in S.W. France
-Identity not verified. Parents not identified yet.
-B. c. 1553 in France
-D. Unknown
A shoemaker took them in and taught Jacques II how to mend and to make shoes. He not only supported himself and his brothers on his meager wages, but soon was able to establish his own business, in which he prospered. He married in the early part of 1603 and his first son Jacques III was born the same year.

After his wife’s untimely death, Jacques remarried. His wife, apparently in order to inherit his fortune, tried to poison him. Prompt medical attention saved his life. In spite of Jacques’ efforts to hush up the poison attempt, his wife was tried and condemned to death. Upon learning that King Henry IV was visiting at la Rochelle, Jacques applied to him for a pardon for his wife.

King Henry IV “wanting to judge from the man’s appearance whether there was an excuse for the wife’s act”, demanded that Jacques appear before him. When he saw him, he shouted, “Let her be hanged, let her be hanged. He is the handsomest man in my Kingdom”.
I don’t have any additional information on Abraham other than that he was married and had a daughter and issue before her and then married again. What exactly became of them I have no clue at this time.
B. 1551 in Maine Providence, Normandy, FRANCE
D. 1563 in Maine Providence, Normandy, FRANCE

• 2.4. Navarre de La Fontaine
What the name of this fourth son is with all certainty is unknown, but this is the name I have often found but could not find any reference to verify this name to be correct. I know nothing about him but would be interested in learning more.
B. c. 1554 in Maine, Charente, Poitou-Charentes, France
D. in La Rochelle, Charente-Maritime, Poitou-Charentes, France

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion