Martha (Strickland) Browne - Curator needed to merge same Martha (Brown/Browne) Strickland

Started by Private on Wednesday, May 8, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• King, Forrest. “Descendants of Mathew Strickland (1648-1696) Through Four Generations,” North Carolina Genealogical Journal, Vol. 34, No. 2 (May 2008);111-142; Vol. 34, No. 3 (Aug. 2008):219-252; Vol. 34, No. 4 (Nov. 2008):293-326.
    Geni member
  • Geni member
  • Geni member
  • Geni member
  • Geni member

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 109 posts
Private
5/8/2019 at 9:02 AM

Same person duplicated with 2 MPs.

5/8/2019 at 11:01 AM

One of them might have wrong parents ?? & the MPs are deliberate to keep them separate.

Martha Strickland shows as married Matthew Strickland.

“Sister” Martha Strickland shows as married William Strickland.

Narrative for the 2nd Martha:

“Martha Browne was born ABT 1710 in Bertie Precinct, Chowan NC. She was the daughter of 2. Thomas William Brown , Gentleman of Albemarle and 3. Martha Braswell. She married William Strickland , Lumbee Indian from NC in Married as 1st cousins, son of Matthew Strickland and Anne Brasswell. “

However her mother shows as Mary Gibson. Mary Gibson -

5/9/2019 at 3:58 AM

Sorry but i might have done that by mistake..i was thrown off by all the misinformation. So much needs to be corrected. Will correct them, thanks

Private
5/9/2019 at 5:46 AM

It seems okay now with the lastest references applied to both and different people. Thank you.

5/9/2019 at 9:41 PM

I am the manager of the Martha Mary Strickland Browne profile. I wonder if someone else would manage this profile instead of me?

How is it determined that William Strickland is Lumbee Indian from NC?? What documentation is there for this account?

Please e-mail at rlynnstrickland@yahoo.com for a one-to-one assist with these Stricklands. I am in three lines of Stricklands and get confused so I need someone with knowledge to help me figure out my relationships.

Private
5/9/2019 at 10:05 PM

My Lumbee family history... - Genealogy.com
www.genealogy.com/forum/regional/states/topics/...
My Lumbee family history... By april black June 10, 2004 at 09:59:39. If anyone has any information about the following families (from the Robeson County, NC area) I would REALLY appreciate it.

Re: James Q. Strickland, b. 18 - Genealogy.com Jun 09, 2004

Re: Martha Brown & William Str - Genealogy.com Jun 09, 2004

Re: Samuel Capers Hiott - Genealogy.com Jun 09, 2004

Private
5/9/2019 at 10:13 PM

Robert, it looks like on Mary Martha's profile that there are 6 managers.

For the Lumbee connection, the above link may shed light.

For the Cheraw line, it is due to Aaron Strickland's line to the Churrah Regulator camp in which one was not there unless one was Cheraw and working backwards to the Gibson maternal line that first brought the Cheraw. Lumbee came from Cheraw when they were living at the Lumbar River having left the Drowning Creek Rev War service area and Battle of Drowning Creek. It's been a heavy week of review on these Stricklands and they are looking very solid.

5/10/2019 at 7:00 AM

William Strickland IS NOT a Lumbee Indian..He is the son of Matthew Jr and Anne Braswell (Bracewell). He was born in Isle of Wight VA..this William is not a jr, not a brother of Matthew Jr, and not the son of brother Matthew Jr. This William left his will in Northampton County. He did not become an Indian by marriage or by having a child that may have married into. Unless there is proof that Ann Braswell was an Indian you can't produce a child of two white people with Indian blood! If there is a Lumbee "connection" it doesn't come from William Strickland, his father Matthew Strickland Jr, or his father Matthew Strickland immigrant of Isle of Wight VA!

Private
5/10/2019 at 7:07 AM

I would say disconnect or remove that reference. I only can speak to Aaron Strickland's line and going backwards to his Gibson, known native on record.

Private
5/10/2019 at 7:09 AM

There is nothing on tithable records by the name Braswell or a similar spelling that we have run across in a group of helpers studying tithables for quite a while now.

Private
5/10/2019 at 7:10 AM

Also there is supposed to be a Maryland Mathew Strickland that is a few generations back but no one has come forward to have that one entered into Geni. He is supposed to have been in Indian Woods.

5/10/2019 at 9:36 AM

Just to add fire to the fuel....'cause I'm like that....read the following.....

https://nativeamericanroots.wordpress.com/tag/braswell/

5/10/2019 at 9:42 AM

Yes, I meant to say that...fuel to the fire...well...causes a bigger fire. Fire to the fuel....well....causes an explosion! lol

Private
5/10/2019 at 10:37 AM

That is super information. The application to apply under the grandfather clause for FPOC registrants includes W.E. Strickland. So, Lumbee it is like the parties claimed. Thanks Diana.

5/10/2019 at 10:37 AM

Oh....this is so much fun... I'm workin' on it.... (try to follow me)

http://cemeterycensus.com/nc/gran/cem390.htm

Thomas Brandon

Edna Virginia Cooley

Private
5/10/2019 at 10:43 AM

So, working backwards to his maternal line, how a FPOC was generatlly taxed, was his Valentine line and curiously, that sir name along with Bourgeois is a very well documented down to Choctaw Dawes Card line of native and likely connected down the line of Valentine somewhere. So this Lumbee claim is validated in tithability and in down the line carded Valentine family and, due to claimants who are Lumbee claiming what they claim.

5/10/2019 at 10:51 AM

My husband is a direct descendant of Chavis, Gibson, Bass, Jordan, Quick, Wallace, .... and his stepdad has some...plus Guy and Helms! Can't work on this much longer, have things to do. Lots of Love to you David!

5/10/2019 at 11:41 AM

LOL ... we are talking about the years 1706-10 for the birth of this William Strickland son of Matthew Jr and Ann Braswell....born in Isle of Wight... Show me the proof that Ann Braswell who is the granddaughter of Reverend Robert Bracewell from his son Richard Bracewell and Sarah? don't know who.... who died in Isle of Wight and left a will Record #2, The Great Book, p. 174: is an Indian and then I might buy into that this William has Indian ancestry through a maternal line. Also, Is this William Strickland your W.E. Strickland? Show me the document with a middle name E for Matthew Jrs son William born in 1706-10... thanks

Private
5/10/2019 at 12:08 PM

I don't have a stake in this game; but, it follows that since William E. Strickland's application of their Grandmother FPOC tax roll in mulitple years shows, as it does in that link, with descendants enrolled in a state recognized tribe have a line that goes back to Valentine, as they do, that it would not show on a record book but on a Poll Tax record in Fishing Creek. The gap from the William E. going back to this William is how I am taking it, so the length of time would obviously be a 150 or more gap from the applicant to the ancestor. The upline of the Valentine would have gone back maternally to an unknown; but, the Gipson are all over the poll taxes. That Gibson mom was C-1 Asian by most everyone's calculations of their k9b matches to each other in the same spots on the chrome 16 and very tied to Lightfoot.

5/10/2019 at 12:57 PM

Well.....well,well,well.....

Ok, I did find dna chart for Strickland.... that being said, the results are only as good as the trees. I only see 1 NA on there.

You be the judge....

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Strickland?iframe=yresults

5/10/2019 at 1:05 PM

Aaaaaaand....Braswell (and other spellings). Seeing only 1 NA on there too....

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/braswellfamilydnaproject/defau...

5/10/2019 at 1:08 PM

Who are the parents of Martha Strickland who married William Strickland and who are their children?

5/10/2019 at 1:10 PM

Because the source for William Browne

https://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=clin...

Claims:

Children of Thomas William Brown , Gentleman of Albemarle and Martha Braswell are:

+ 7 vi. Martha Browne was born ABT 1710 in Bertie Precinct, Chowan NC.

5/10/2019 at 1:52 PM

This is the profile that is on the braswell dna chart for NA....

William Barjonah Braswell

5/10/2019 at 1:56 PM

http://strongfamilytree.org/getperson.php?personID=I1349&tree=S... William STRICKLAND (d 6 May 1728, son of Matthew Strickland d 1699) & Elizabeth. Married Oliffe Pittman. Of Isle of Wight, Virginia and Bertie County, North Carolina. Father of John (Bertie & Edgecombe), Joseph, Matthew (Bertie & Edgecombe), Samuel, William of Bertie and wife Martha Brown. (Strickland-L-Rootsweb.com Email from Strick19@aol.com dated 8 Sept 2001)

5/10/2019 at 2:08 PM

Page 11.

*King, Forrest. “Descendants of Mathew Strickland (1648-1696) Through Four Generations,” North Carolina Genealogical Journal, Vol. 34, No. 2 (May 2008);111-142; Vol. 34, No. 3 (Aug. 2008):219-252; Vol. 34, No. 4 (Nov. 2008):293-326. [http://www.stricklanddna.org/documents//mathew-strickland-four-gene... Page 11] William Strickland (son of William Strickland d 1728 and Olive) b about 1704 in Isle of Wight m Martha Brown in Bertie County before Nov 1723 and d in Edgecombe or Halifax County NC after 1756.

5/10/2019 at 2:08 PM

This is the profile on the Strickland / Stricklin dna chart for NA.....

William Riley Stricklin

5/10/2019 at 2:10 PM

So I do not understand the notes in the profile for William Strickland, II

Son of Matthew and Ann was born in 1690 in Isle of Wight, died July 18, 1781 in Northampton/Halifax, North Carolina.. Married Martha Brown. Children: William, 1723; Aaron, 1725 in Edgecombe; Isaac, 1726; and John, 1729. Had 9 children with second wife, Mary Whitehead

5/10/2019 at 2:21 PM

The 6 Children of William (of William) & Martha Brown are listed on Page 42 - 44

http://www.stricklanddna.org/documents//mathew-strickland-four-gene...

7 children
# Aaron m Christian Hill
# Isaac
# Jacob m unknown
# William m Sarah
# Joseph
# Moses m Rebecca
# probably Abraham perhaps m Rebecca

——

So the children attached to this William are wrong also.

Showing 1-30 of 109 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion