Frances Anne Burdett (Lake) - Merge in progress involving this early Virginia family

Started by Hatte Blejer on hiatus on Thursday, June 20, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 17 posts
6/20/2019 at 6:22 PM

Private User - can you confirm that the information coming in the merge is correct vis a vis Frances Burdett and her ancestors? I did find a source which I added to the Overview, but you will know if that source has any credibility.

Since some of the duplicate tree is in the 1500s, I was wary.

6/20/2019 at 7:45 PM

Erica Howton You may want to weigh in too. I don't think there is evidence for these Lake parents. Am I wrong? I would detach her. It feels wrong to me. I'm a Lake descendant. She would be my 9th great aunt, if she were their daughter.

She was married three times -- Blore or Blower; Sanders; Burdett

Also her name is not Frances Anne, but Frances / Francis.

6/20/2019 at 7:51 PM

In conclusion - I would detach her. I would put Lake or Leake as a possible maiden name but not attach her to any parents unless one of the managers or you two can bring new, primary evidence for her parents.

6/20/2019 at 10:48 PM

Where’s her first husband?

“Francis (Frances), who married ancient planter, John Blore (Bloar, Blower), came to Virginia in 1620 on the London Merchant. On February 16, 1624 she was living on the Eastern Shore in a household headed by her husband. Also present was their child, John II. In Early 1625 John and Francis Blore were still living on the Eastern Shore, on Old Plantation Creek (73). The household included two servants, but the Blores child John II was no longer present, probably because he was deceased. In 1625 Francis Blore was age 25. Sometime prior to March 14, 1628. Francis was widowed. She married mariner Roger Sanders (Saunders), whom she also outlived, and sometime after September 16, 1633, she wed William Burdett, who executed a prenuptial agreement. When Francis Blore Sanders Burdett made her will on March 23, 1641, she made bequests to several individuals.”

6/20/2019 at 11:17 PM

I haven't added a first husband yet :) Packing for another trip.

Private User
6/21/2019 at 7:10 AM

Miles Files says her first name was Lake: http://espl-genealogy.org/MilesFiles/site/p846.htm#i84581

She had at least five siblings back in England: "Edward Lake, Richard Lake, Jane Lake, Margarett Lacke, and Ellinor Lacke (my brothers and sisters)" - will of Frances Burdett 1641.

Her three husbands were John Blore (Blower) c. 1598-1628, Roger Saunders c. 1600-c late 1637, William Burdett 1600-1643. One known child, William Blore/Blower, who apparently predeceased her. William Burdett had been married before and had a son Thomas from that marriage.

Private User
6/21/2019 at 7:24 AM

Footnote: The Alicia who was William Burdett's third and final wife was the very-much-married Alicia Traveller-Burdett-Walker-Custis who was accused of child abuse and neglect in the case of the orphan Elizabeth Bibby. (Accusation *not* from Miles Files!)

Private User
6/21/2019 at 10:34 AM

I should never have merge on her father. I know that my information is correct and this through off my information. I tried to figure out how to unmerge but couldn't. Maybe you can be of some help there.

6/21/2019 at 10:41 AM

John Lake, I Has his children listed, a different family. I don’t think this was a merge issue.

Private User
6/21/2019 at 5:59 PM

Why did you take out all the information that I put in my tree yesterday. All my information is correct. Now I have to spend a lot of time putting them back. Also Frances Anne Lake was only married once. Now you have a first husband. I would appreciate you leave my line alone. I also will not combine anyone again.

6/21/2019 at 6:09 PM

Private User I think we may be talking about different people?

This Francis was definitely married to 3 men.

Which child do you descend from ?

Please don’t re - enter, these profiles have been on Geni for many years.

Source:

“Virginia Immigrants an Adventurers, 1607-1635, Martha W. McCartney, GPS, 2007 FRANCIS (FRANCES) BLORE (BLOAR, BLOWER) (MRS. JOHN BLORE [BLOAR, BLOWER], MRS. ROGER SANDERS [SAUNDERS], MRS. WILLIAM BURDETT) Francis (Frances), who married ancient planter, John Blore (Bloar, Blower), came to Virginia in 1620 on the London Merchant. On February 16, 1624 she was living on the Eastern Shore in a household headed by her husband. Also present was their child, John II. In Early 1625 John and Francis Blore were still living on the Eastern Shore, on Old Plantation Creek (73). The household included two servants, but the Blores child John II was no longer present, probably because he was deceased. In 1625 Francis Blore was age 25. Sometime prior to March 14, 1628. Francis was widowed. She married mariner Roger Sanders (Saunders), whom she also outlived, and sometime after September 16, 1633, she wed William Burdett, who executed a prenuptial agreement. When Francis Blore Sanders Burdett made her will on March 23, 1641, she made bequests to several individuals.“

6/21/2019 at 6:13 PM

Sir John Lake what’s your source, please?

John Lake, I Did not have a daughter Francis or Frances.

He did have an Anne - bap. Feb. 10, 1604/5, North Benfleet, Essex.

That was his youngest child.

Is it your claim that this Ann = Francis ?

6/21/2019 at 6:15 PM

A birth date of 1604 is probably too late for this Francis. She was a married woman in 1620.

“"I can't find any reference to Frances Leake/Lake as that being her maiden name...the ship list for 1620 London Merchant lists her as Francis Blore, wife of John on the Starr...I think the info comes from the Muster Roll (APP, p. 70), when they were asked how they came...so she just gives her married name...I don't think the original ship list for the London Merchant is available, just reconstructed from the Muster ....”

6/21/2019 at 6:37 PM

This profile looks in the wrong place.

Frances Saunders

——

William Burditt had only one surviving child, Thomas:

1) Justice and high sheriff of Northampton County and subsequently deputy governor of Maryland.
(2) Justice of the Peace in 1651.
(3) Will of William Burdett, gent. dated 22d July 1643, Rec. 7 Aug., 1643.
Son Thomas,
wife Alice, widow of George Traveller;
wife's son Geo. Traveller, and dau. Elizabeth.
Bequeaths "£5 to the lower parish of Northampton for a communion cup and plate if it will hold out. otherwise one cupp only, or, as the ministers and their church wardens shall think fitt." Thos. Burdett to have 1 doz. silver spoons with his name engraved upon them Alice, his wife, to have the charge of the education of his child and to live on his lands. Asks that "Mr. John Rozier, Capt. Wm. Stone and Mr. Thomas Johnson take special care of he educacon of my Tender Sonne"

https://www.colonial-settlers-md-va.us/getperson.php?personID=I0235...

Private User
6/21/2019 at 6:46 PM

Thomas Burdett

6/21/2019 at 6:59 PM

Do you agree with the information posted on message https://www.geni.com/discussions/197917?msg=1305416 ? If not, what sources tell you differently?

6/22/2019 at 5:20 AM

Private User

Please explain where you see that John Lake, I had a daughter Frances born 1600 who came to Virginia.

The genealogy of this family is well known; it’s been on Geni since 2007. Hatte Blejer on hiatus Is a direct descendant, that’s why she “caught” the issue.

Not only was there no Frances, descent was New England Puritans.

If there’s something we don’t know, please explain.

Thank you.

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion