Rabbi Gavriel Spitz - SPITZ surname?

Started by Peter Rohel (c) on Tuesday, August 13, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 13 posts
8/13/2019 at 7:59 AM

Recently the SPITZ surname was added to the profile of Rabbi Gavriel - name deducted from his daughter - Krasna bat Gabriel (Krasna daughter of Gabriel).

No "source" has been added for the SPITZ surname -OR- his father's Rabbi Yekutiel Zalman Halevi Spitz, ABD Eisenstadt line that was added.

If you have "source" or can find one - that Rabbi Gavriel belongs to the SPITZ family - please provide it here and on profiles.
Otherwise, it will have to be Removed and the profile will be fully Locked.

Thank you for your help.

8/13/2019 at 1:59 PM
8/13/2019 at 2:56 PM

I have just Undid the merge you mentioned.
Her father is still connected.
Hopefully Daniel Hochman will chime in - and assist with clean-up or sources.

8/14/2019 at 2:47 AM

I have a family tree which verifies this, but I don't know if you will accept that as a source. Also, it's in Hebrew.

8/14/2019 at 7:20 AM

Daniel Hochman - Tree in Hebrew is fine, as the information can be translated by other users who know the language.

As to the verification of the tree:
1.. depends if the data (dates, locations, etc.) makes sense
2.. what is the source - who originally created the tree you have
3.. can the connections be found elsewhere - providing support for your tree & possibe sources
4.. conclusion is made by a group of Geni users - that Krasna & her father Gavriel belong to the SPITZ family

8/14/2019 at 9:30 AM
8/14/2019 at 11:32 PM

The Hebrew text does indeed say that the family name is Spitz. The names mentioned are:
Yekutiel Zalman Spitz and his wife Malka, daughter of Shimshon Brin (Bachrach),
They had a daughter, Sharl, wife of rabi Jaakov, and a son, rabbi Shimshon Halevi Spitz.
The son of Shimshon Halevi Spitz was Rabbi Leizer Spitz and the son of Leizer Spitz was Moshe Spitz.
In note no. 1 it says that the father of Zalman Spitz was Gabriel Halevi Spitz but the author has doubts about this and he has no proof.
Raziel Yohai Seckbach found the document. He may have some more explanations.

8/14/2019 at 11:45 PM

According to the text (attached to the profile of Yekutiel Zalman Spitz) the daughter of Zalman Spitz was Sharl who was married to a Jakob (family name not mentioned).
But in the tree Yaakov Spitz Jakob is entered as the son of Zalman Spitz and Sharl as his wife. This may possibly be wrong.

8/14/2019 at 11:48 PM

And Sorel Knöpflmacher is not mentioned in the above text, so may also be wrong and not be the daughter of Zalman Spitz.

Private User
8/15/2019 at 1:56 AM

Sarl and Sara are the same woman. Daughter of Rabbi Zalman Spitz. It's known by other sources that her husband surname was Knöpfelmacher. So there is no no mistake there. @bob hanscom

Private User
8/15/2019 at 2:06 AM
Private User
8/15/2019 at 2:10 AM

This is the correct profile for Yacob

Rabbi Yakov Segal , Singreich, Ziniech,

and this is a mistake

Yaakov Spitz

8/15/2019 at 3:31 AM

There are two genealogies — one with the descendants of Nissel (Knöpfelmacher) Knöpfelmacher and the other with the descendants of her sister Malka (Knöpfelmacher) Segal — that say exactly the same thing. Their mother, Isherl or Sorel, wife of Rabbi Yaakov Knöpfelmacher, was the daughter of Zalman Shpitz [Spitz] and his wife Malka (Bachrach). The genealogy, entirely in Hebrew, then outlines Malka’s descent from R’ Yehuda Loew, the MaHaral of Prague. I have this genealogy in my possession, and have recently given a copy to Matias Bauer. I had it for quite some time when I made contact with a Segal descendant. I learned that she had an identical genealogy, which had also been passed down in her family. I am traveling right now but would be happy to provide both the Hebrew version and the translated script to anybody who would like to see it.

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion