William Cahoon - Parentage

Started by Tamás Flinn Caldwell-Gilbert on Tuesday, September 10, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 34 posts
9/10/2019 at 9:06 PM

I am starting this discussion because of the note in William Cahoon 's profile which says that his ancestry is not identified.

This website states that: "There is much confusion as to exactly who William was and where, when and to whom he was born. However, to date and to my knowledge, there is no record in existence that confirms the exact date, place and parentage of William Cahoon."
It examines at least two claims to his parentage and dismisses both of them.

Source: https://dougcahoon.wixsite.com/clan-colquhoun-tour/copy-of-beginnin...

I am of the opinion that Williams should be disconnected from Alexander Colquhoun and Marian Stirling. According to Colquhoun Clan genealogies, their only child was Jean, who died young.

This also brings to question William's supposed brother, John Cahoon, who has no other family attached here on Geni.

I am of the opinion that we should detached William from Alexander and Mariam.

Does anyone like to make any objections before changes are made?

Sincerely,
Tamas

9/11/2019 at 4:58 AM

It is unlikely any of Cromwell’s POWs relocated to the Colonies after Dunbar were of landed gentry; their families would have ransomed them, or they would have returned after their indenture was complete. Cromwell didn’t know what to do with his captures so sent the survivors to America. They all stayed & some did especially well.

9/11/2019 at 5:23 AM

https://www.facebook.com/theclanmuseum/

——

Snip

There is no way that I could conceive of a son of the family being allowed to become an exile whilst still a youth when money would have turned the trick. The fact that there is no correspondence even concerning the matter among the papers would indicate that there was no family ‘concern’ in this individual. Perhaps we shall never know the real background of William, but once he reached America, he obviously left a clear trail of his life afterwards.

Bibliography

Dobson, D. Directory of Scots Settlers in America 1625-1685
Fraser. Sir W. Chiefs of Colquhoun and Their Country
Hume Brown, P. History of Scotland
McPhail I Dumbarton Common Good Accounts 1614-1685

9/11/2019 at 5:27 AM

In regards to the “brother John” all we have is the name Association, and we don’t even know if that was their real name. Still, I’d keep them together and lock to no parents, with the note that John died soon.

Private User
9/11/2019 at 12:12 PM

We may be concerned but since I am unable to offer absolute proof, what can I say.

Private User
9/11/2019 at 12:13 PM

Mine wasn't John

9/11/2019 at 12:43 PM

Additional references:

Bibliography at http://stephenokeson.com/genealogy/Calhoun_132.html

*Montrose Sisters: an account, by Phinella Henderson
*The Clan Colquhoun Journal, Vol. 2, Nbr. 2
“*Sir John Colquhoun of Luss - Necromancer?", byJames Pearson
*The Clan Colquhoun Journal, Vol. 5, Nbr. 3
*"Who was William Cahoon?", The United Kingdom Society
*Vicissitudes of Families, Third Series,
*"A Tale of Magic on Lochlomond, A.D. 1631", by Sir Bernard Burke
*An Examination into the Parentage of William Cahoon, by Gary D. Calder

Private User
9/11/2019 at 12:54 PM

Thanks Erica for the Additional info on William.

Private User
9/11/2019 at 1:08 PM

So according to this His parents should be Sir John Colquhoun and the Lady Katherine Graham.

9/11/2019 at 1:20 PM

Not really (in my opinion).

Here’s another snip from the Facebook Page:

—-

He lost his title and estates, and was excommunicated by the Presbytery. The records state that Sir John returned to Luss in 1647 seeking forgiveness from the church, his brothers pleading for him. He was described as ‘tearful’ and pleading to be re-admitted to the church. However, first they wanted him to confess to the sin of ‘incest’. This he refused to do, so they would not admit him. There is no mention of any sons of this liaison.

—-

9/11/2019 at 1:30 PM

The Facebook article (2018) was adapted by the author from his previous publication:

The Clan Colquhoun Journal, Volume 5, Number 3, Autumn 2002, “Who Was William Cahoon?” (The United Kingdom Society) by Gary D. Calder.

Private User
9/11/2019 at 1:52 PM

So on my Ancestery.com tree, I made the change and worked the line forward. Easily done due to Another line I have in my tree also connects to another sibling. Should I do a bypass on this tree to make my William the son of John Colquhoun?

9/11/2019 at 2:17 PM

It is impossible for William to have been a child of Alexander.

Teresa, if he were my ancestor, I would only link to a bio of Sir John of Luss, because it stops finding his real Ancestry.

This is the important piece:

—-

“ In either case, were this William Cahoon a ‘son’ of the family, there is no circumstances under which they would allow him to be sent away as a prisoner to the Americas. No Colquhoun father would allow his son to take part in a Covenanting army at an early age unaccompanied, and depending upon which date is claimed (1633 or 1635) he was still to young to go to war alone.”

—-

And if captured, and he really was Colquhoun of Luss, it wouldn’t have mattered if he had been born out of wedlock: Cromwell’s people would have tried to extort money from the family. There would be correspondence (British side also, in case you want to think the family historian purged the charters and so on). And some whiff of that documentation would have been found by now.

9/11/2019 at 2:41 PM

Disconnections are always painful, regardless, I think.

Here is my line:
William Cahoon is your 8th great grandfather.
You
→ Viet Nam War Veteran, SFC Freddie Ralph Hicks, Sr
your father → Viola Isabel Hicks
his mother → John Thomas Edgar Webber
her father → John Richard Carter Webber
his father → Samuel Webber
his father → Sarah White ‘Sally’ Webber
his mother → John Chapman, Sr.
her father → Sarah Chapman
his mother → Nathaniel Cahoon
her father → William Cahoon
his father

Thank you Tamás Flinn Caldwell-Gilbert & Erica Howton for the Discussion and for not just plowing through. It is very much appreciated and your hard work is not unnoticed.

On Ancestry, the DNA matches are only shown to so many generations and so Sarah the granddaughter of William is the one I have confirmation for. Is there a Y study for this line?

9/11/2019 at 2:53 PM

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/calhoun?iframe=yresults

I see William b 1632 in Hap'group R1b1a2 - Family A

I see a John of Luss b 1698 in Hap'group E1b1b1 - Regrouping is coming

9/11/2019 at 2:54 PM

So the Y DNA study so far seems to indicate unlikely to me. As R is not E.

9/11/2019 at 2:55 PM

Thank you for checking.

Private User
9/11/2019 at 2:59 PM

I also appreciated this discussion. I got connected because my Samuel had documentation he was the son of William and deliverance peck.

9/11/2019 at 3:25 PM

I wouldn’t publish the kit number on this discussion.

Sadly the ancestry of Deliverance Lombard looks unknown as well. There are good notes in the profiles for her and her current Geni father, Joseph Peck

9/11/2019 at 3:27 PM

Tagging Sir John Colquhoun of Luss, Baronet and Catherine Graham to the discussion.

9/11/2019 at 3:28 PM

Yes, and their daughter is named Deliverence so I am hoping to keep them intact.

9/11/2019 at 3:30 PM

You’d need to show me where Joseph Peck had a daughter Deliverance, because I do not see her in his profile notes, nor in the discussion of her origins in her profile.

9/11/2019 at 3:31 PM

Erica Howton did I publish a kit number? Was thinking I was posting something other than what you saw since the year was not the same. At any rate, these studies I thought were public but let me know if I need to delete my comment with the R-M269 noted

9/11/2019 at 3:32 PM

Private User Samuel looks very solid. His parents were his parents :)

9/11/2019 at 3:46 PM

Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087 The furthest to the left on project spreadsheets is a kit number. I wouldn’t put it on another site without explicit permission; I don’t know how often the SS is updated; etc etc. BUT I’m not a project administrator so “best practices” best answered by the many who are.

9/11/2019 at 4:14 PM

Got it...for future reference, am deleting the comment 8 lines up and this is what was posted minus the kit number:

Cahoon William Colquhoun b.1633 Tullichewan, Scotland, UK Scotland R-M269

9/11/2019 at 4:15 PM

Do Sir John Colquhoun and the Lady Katherine Graham have Geni profiles at this time?

9/11/2019 at 4:26 PM

I tagged them to this discussion.

Private User
9/12/2019 at 2:54 AM

http://www.thepeerage.com/p24572.htm#i245712

He was created 1st Baronet Colquhoun, of Luss [Nova Scotia] on 30 August 1625, with a special remainder to heirs male whatsoever.1 In 1632 a warrant was issued for his arrest on charge of abducting his sister-in-law, Katherine, the life-rents of his estates being made over to Sir Robert Douglas of Spott, 1st and last Viscount Belhaven, but Sir John's brother Humphrey recovered the estates.1

Showing 1-30 of 34 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion