Started by Debbie Gambrell on Thursday, September 26, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 7 posts
9/26/2019 at 7:41 PM

@William Howard, 1st Baron Howard of Effingham

From what I can determine, the below referenced child should be connected as child of the subject profile based on the notes in the About section of said child, but I'm unable to add a child to William and his wife.

Lady Margaret Hynson

Thanks for your assistance,

Debbie Gambrell

9/26/2019 at 11:22 PM

The reason that you haven’t been able to add children to William Howard is that relationships have been locked on his profile.

We can certainly add children, if we find reliable sources.

Margaret Hinson shows up as his daughter in many family web trees, but I have seen only unsourced ones. Have you found any that cite evidence?

The Wikipedia entry for William Howard doesn’t help here, as it lists her as a child in one place but leaves her out in another, and cites no evidence.

She does not appear as one of William Howard’s children by Margaret Gamage, in Peter Bartrum’s Welsh Genealogies, and though that’s not conclusive proof she wasn’t one if their children, it’s troublesome, since Bartrum is careful about adding women.

So we need clearer evidence before we add her.

9/26/2019 at 11:46 PM

Yes, I realize it is locked is why I can't add. The only evidence I was going by was what is already posted in the profiles, so I guess I'll have to wait until I myself or another descendant can find something more concrete. Thanks for getting back to me about it regardless.

9/27/2019 at 12:02 AM

Debbie Gambrell as always, try & “walk back” from the supposed arriver to America. The Geni tree is rather a mess there.

Here’s a blog - I can’t vouch for it but it’s more coherent, and maybe a good place to start for a cleanup.

http://descentbysea.com/thomas-hynson/

They are suggesting / hoping that he’s from this Hinton family of Middlesex. Visitations:

https://books.google.com/books?id=NItPAAAAYAAJ&dq=Hinson%20of%2...

Have Richard, of Barnard’s Inn, Gent. m Margaret Howard, daughter of John Howard, of Bradish Hall, County Suffolk, Esq.

Two sons, John & Thomas, and daughter Grace.

“According to a parish register from Fordham, County Cambridge, on April 3, 1621 Thomas Hinson, ye sonne of John Hinson was baptized. ...”

9/27/2019 at 12:11 AM

Thanks for the links! I'll see if I can sort it out. I appreciate your help so much.

9/27/2019 at 12:34 AM

I’m wondering if Bradish in Suffolk is also Brockdish in Norfolk - there was a ? As Bradish / Brockdish in the Vis of Suffolk.

If so, could be this John Howard:

William Howard, his eldest son and heir, who died in 1566, seized of many lands in Cratfield, Huntingfield, Ubbeston, and Bradfield in Suffolk; and of many lands and tenements here, and in Sileham, &c. having sold this manor the year before his death, to the Grices as aforesaid; but upon the sale, he reserved, all other his estate in Brockdish, in which he dwelt, called Howard's Place, situate on the south side of the entrance of Brockdish-street; which house and farm went to

John Howard, his son and heir, the issue of whose three daughters, Grace, Margaret, and Elizabeth, failing, it reverted to

Mathew, son of William Howard, second brother to the said John Howard their father, whose second son, ...

(Find on Howard at Francis Blomefield, 'Hundred of Earsham: Brockdish', in An Essay Towards A Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Volume 5 (London, 1806), pp. 327-339. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/topographical-hist-norfolk/vol5/pp... [accessed 27 September 2019]

It was Elizabeth Howard getting married to John Knapp here:

https://archive.org/details/visitationsofsuf00harvuoft/page/148

If this is correct then note: “issue failing” for the three Howard girls.

10/3/2019 at 11:09 AM

The link in your message on 9/27 is not the same line. In fact, in the comment below the article it is stated that none in that line married into the Norris family, as several were posting that they're from the line I am where Ann Hinson married Thomas Norris and nothing was matching.

I'll work on the info you sent regarding the Howards and hopefully find some answers there. Thanks again so much.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion