Israel Nations - Need a curator please and thank you

Started by Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087 on Monday, March 16, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• https://georgiahistory.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/confederate-cemetery-2.jpg
    Geni member
  • Geni member
  • https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/193:20639?ssrc=pt&tid=18172610&pid=18017991521
    Geni member
  • Geni member
  • https://www.ancestry.com/discoveryui-content/view/193:20639?ssrc=pt&tid=18172610&pid=18017991521
    Geni member
Showing 1-30 of 42 posts
3/16/2020 at 8:01 PM

Appears two generations have been smushed or dates are confused! Gedcom upload...Merges. Please help? Thank you!

3/16/2020 at 8:01 PM

Israel Nations is your third cousin five times removed.
You
→ Geneive Melba Hicks
your mother → John Mac Emerson
her father → Elma Emerson
his mother → James William Swaim
her father → John Dick Swaim
his father → Moses Swaim
his father → Charity Swaim
his mother → Elizabeth Vickery
her mother → Christopher Nation, I
her brother → John A. Nations
his son → John A. Nations
his son → Israel Nations
his son

Private User
3/17/2020 at 12:02 AM

There's definitely nothing that I can find in this person's background suggesting a Sephardic link. That seems to simply be someone making a leap based on his name. Seems quite solidly British Protestant.

Randy Schoenberg, do we have anyone working on Southern U.S. Sephardim these days, or no? I'm finding nothing -- quite the opposite, actually -- but if we have an expert, they could weigh in.

3/26/2020 at 10:45 AM

Private User there is Jewish in this line (my maternal) as well as in my Solomon Israel on my dad's side.
I am just now seeing your post--sorry and thank you for responding and for tagging Randy Schoenberg. Erica Howton worked REALLY hard on my Israel line last year I think it was.
By the way, it was rumored that my grandpa Emerson's mom, Elma Swaim Emerson was murdered for being "a Jew". Most of my aunts and uncles are gone now but there was a story of how Grandpa used to answer a question with, "go ask the little Jewish woman"...man, I WISH I knew those stories but I was raised away from family as an Army brat and child of divorce. My parents reunited and died just two years apart but they were divorced for 8 years.
Yes.My Jewish comes through in ethnicity reports even though some will argue that is NOT reliable.I knew it in my heart and the DNA simply confirmed it.
<3

3/26/2020 at 10:47 AM

To add to the above for clarification--my father and a step mother raised me.
Israel is the surname of a paternal line that Erica worked on. The Israel Nations this was started on is NOT a direct for me but I do have Nations as a direct as well.
Thank you for any assistance!

3/26/2020 at 12:41 PM

I don’t think it was this Nations tree we tracked back to a clear New Amsterdam Jewish family.

3/26/2020 at 12:42 PM

Have to remember names. It was the location flow that was fascinating.

Netherlands > New Amsterdam > Long Island > Virginia.

The matriarch was called (of course) Sarah.

3/26/2020 at 1:20 PM

Solomon Israel is my 6th great grandfather. This is the line with Sarah Graves? Israel where I am hopeful to get her reconnected. There is a lovely group on Facebook for Israel.
They are one of my most FAVE lines.

3/26/2020 at 1:21 PM

Erica Howton, you said I might have PIRATES! <3

3/26/2020 at 1:25 PM

Sarah Israel
Michael Israel, Sr.

my fifth great grandparents...they came down to my generation with my third great grandmother showing often as Dicey Ezell in the records... Dicie Honeycutt ... imagine my joy at seeing "Israel" finally :D

3/26/2020 at 1:33 PM

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10216401626850083&amp;set=g...
"Around 1661, some Jews of Barbados, Isaac Israel de Pisa, Aaron Israel de Pisa, and their brother Abraham Israel de Pisa, who lived in Jamaica, said that they had discovered gold mines... their punishment was that they were expelled from Barbados.

3/26/2020 at 1:39 PM

The folks there are saying it is Pirate gold lol

So Israel yes paternal. BUt the maternal side I have not found it yet... just know that my mom's brother's DNA revealed it and we have the stories. They were in New Holland. I think people forget though that many people may be born into a family or culture and be identified as such but as adults may marry or convert so it is more difficult to say for certain.

3/26/2020 at 1:46 PM

Comments on the post regarding the expulsion:

"The key part of this story that seems to be missing is that they had a charter from the King to search to find gold... and never did. That appears to be why they were banished."
and
"The King of Spain wanted them to find gold ("recover" gold from the pirates) in Barbados & they got tossed out when they didn't. That's so funny"

3/26/2020 at 1:49 PM

THIS one is the first in America of this family:
Abraham Israel de Pisa

and is mentioned in the American Jewish Historical Society...

Maybe it IS time to search for my maternal side Jewish ancestor(s)...specifically AS Jewish.

3/26/2020 at 1:51 PM

Abraham was the "gold finding Jew of Jamaica" in the article by Dr Herbert Friedenwald

3/26/2020 at 5:01 PM

“ There is debate as to whether the family was Jewish or not, fueled by father Solomon's marraige in an Episcopal Church. On the website for Congregation Beth Israel in Charlottesville, Virginia, there is a copy of a document called "To Seek the Peace of the City." It was prepared for an exhibit about the history of Jewish settlers in the Charlottesville area. That document credits Michael and Sarah as the first Jewish settlers in Albemarle County, Virginia, moving there in 1757. It also has specimens of Michael Israel's signature and Sarah's "mark."

The DNA upload for Sarah is for mtDNA haplogroup H, which is associated with English / Irish origins, and not Jewish. It is likely that Michael Israel’s mother Mary Israel was not Jewish either as they married in the Episcopal Church at Hempstead NY - didn’t I track down that marriage record for you?

In any event, I fail to see any connection to Israel Nations.

3/26/2020 at 5:04 PM

What is debate?
It isn't connected to Nations.

3/26/2020 at 5:06 PM

Who said Sarah was "Jewish"?

3/26/2020 at 5:07 PM

There was a question as to whether this man who is NOT my ancestor is Jewish. The quesion was NOT posed be me.

3/26/2020 at 5:08 PM

ANOTHER curator ( I will not name her name) stated my Israel was NOT likely Jewish and I just ignored it and had no desire to engage or correct her.

3/26/2020 at 5:09 PM

But I question your tone and motivation...

3/26/2020 at 5:09 PM

Tradition of being Jewish only if mother is, I understand from a cultural point.

3/26/2020 at 5:11 PM

With that being said, be nice. I have Jewish roots. ANd if this whoever says that Israel Nations does too, why not investigate?

3/26/2020 at 5:12 PM

People have married across ethnic, racial, religious lines since the beginning.
There is ZERO debate on MY end. I am descended from Jewish ancestors on BOTH sides.
Do I say I AM Jewish? No. Does my DNA say I am Jewish? Yes.

3/26/2020 at 5:13 PM

Do I go to Synagogue? I have. But let's leave Religion outside please and thank you.

3/26/2020 at 5:15 PM

Thank you for the source.
Moving on.

3/26/2020 at 5:25 PM

And now Mary Johnston Israel is showing in this Discussion. Can you start a new one?
The photo added is NOT her. Community yes. But not her--maybe hers s on the next page?

3/26/2020 at 5:26 PM

And as pertains to Israel Nations, I still think there are errors in the profile:
Consistency Check:Death date of Israel Nation, Jr. is after his burial date.Sarah Smith is over 55 years old for the birth of her child James Webster Nations.Sarah Smith is over 55 years old for the birth of her child Pleasant Nations.Sarah Smith is over 55 years old for the birth of her child Tabitha Nations.Sarah Smith is over 55 years old for the birth of her child Anna Tyler Thomas.More than 22 year age difference between Eliza Clarinda Nation and her husband Israel Nations.

3/26/2020 at 5:28 PM

Cynthia, do you mean my tone in a quote from attached source, and which is not news to you from when we looked into the tree?

Actual point of fact: Judaism is from the maternal side. But ancestry is from anywhere and everywhere, of course. And the New Netherland Colony was a diverse place.

I think there was a confusion somehow equating Israel Nations with Solomon Israel? I actually relate to the Nations, and they were “hard shell Baptists” if I recall correctly. So not a productive area to expect Jewish origins. As usual in genealogy, location rules.

3/26/2020 at 5:33 PM

Reboot conversation.

I do relate to Israel Nations in at least two ways. However I don’t have time to work on this tree at the moment. Start by clearing out the gedcom text to attached documents so we can start to construct proper biographies.

Showing 1-30 of 42 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion