Lieutenant Thomas Pepsironemeh Rolfe - Any sources for Thomas Rolfe having name "Pepsironemeh'?

Started by Dan Cornett on Tuesday, April 14, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 14 posts
4/14/2020 at 4:32 PM

Hello, I have been looking and looking but can find nothing. Is there any evidence that Thomas Rolfe's middle name or AKA was Pepsironemeh? I mean it is not farfetched to think that perhaps he had an Indian name as well as an English name, but I have found no record of it. Am I just looking in the wrong places or is this just an invention perpetuated by Find A Grave? Thank you.
Sincerely,

Barbra H Private User

4/14/2020 at 6:31 PM

It’s not a FindaGrave invention, but it well could be a “genealogy name”.

The only place I have ever seen a middle name for Thomas Rolfe was on Geni.

That being said it's entirely possible that he did have a middle name, but I've never seen anything documented to that effect.

Private User
4/15/2020 at 6:25 PM

Record Match from Geni World Family Tree
Thomas Pepsironemeh Rolfe
Thomas Pepsironemeh Rolfe
Birth 1615 - Virginia, United States
Death 1675 - Virginia, United States
Father John Rolfe
Mother Rebecca Rolfe
Wife Jane Rolfe (born Poythress)
Child <Private> <Private>

I believe I also saw it on my family tree maker. I was tracing down Jane Poythress.

Private User
4/16/2020 at 12:46 AM

Using Pepsironemeh as middle name would be wrong unless it is marked with quotes as a nickname, as mentioned in Wikipedia and other places as known for. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Rolfe

Private User
4/16/2020 at 12:36 PM

Private User I agree that it should be treated as an aka, not a middle name. His mother may have considered it his real name, but we don't know that, and I doubt that it was ever officially recorded as his middle name. And we should go by the official records of the time, in other words, his legal name. As with other profiles, "Pepsironemeh" may be included as his nickname. I've yet to find any published documentation of his nickname, however his family and friends may well have always known about it.

4/16/2020 at 1:45 PM

In the American tree we often use a nickname or an alternative name in quotes in the middle name field. In this case, we have no source citation for the name “ Pepsironemeh”, so I agree it belongs in the AKA field only, and have so edited.

There is no such thing as a “recorded middle name” in England or the Virginia Colony at this time. His mother had many “use names” in her languages. I am guessing that somewhere there is a reference to Thomas’ name in the Mattaponi language but it could be anarchronistic (reconstruct after the fact). We don’t have the baptismal record but he signed himself as Thomas Rolfe.

4/16/2020 at 2:59 PM

I’m really surprised we can’t find a real reference for the name Pepsironemeh. Glad the question got asked.

I have also seen in a record where his middle name was Smith...cant remember now where i saw it.

Private User
4/20/2020 at 7:07 AM

Middle names weren't A Thing in the early 17th century. There are a few, rare examples, generally commemorating something remarkable (like being a posthumous child or the twentieth child or etc.). But most people did without and didn't miss them.

They gained in popularity over time, showing up with increasing frequency among the aristocracy during the 18th century and eventually being taken up by the general public as well. The turning point, when it became more common to have one than not, is guesstimated to be about 1800.

4/20/2020 at 8:57 PM

I’m thinking the “ Pepsironemeh” name would never have been a middle name as we understand it, but a supposed Native American name, and that’s what to track down: where does that come from?

He was raised in England and returned to Virginia as an adult. He signed himself Thomas Rolfe in 1640. Theoretically that’s around the first time ? He would have met Opechanough and Cleopatra, if indeed his pass requesting to meet them was honored. Wouldn’t he have only spoken English?

I think it may have been Nicname later in life. And i dont think Smith was correct either. Maybe if we knew the meaning of Pepsironemeh it would help. Maybe an endearment given to him after meeting his Aunt.

4/21/2020 at 11:13 AM

IF the meeting actually took place: we don’t have proof that it happened (although why wouldn’t it have). And if we have no further record of native contact after the pass was written in 1640, where did knowledge of the acquired name come from? The worry here is that it’s fabricated.

Erica Howten, it may very well be.

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion