Query on parents of Jane HAMILTON

Started by Leanne M (Volunteer Curator - Australia) 🇦🇺 on Thursday, July 16, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 14 posts

Jane Dawson is on Geni with 2 sets of parents

Set 1
* father - William Hamliton 1777-1850, son of Laird James Hamilton and Agnes Hamilton
* mother - not listed

Set 2
* father - William Hamilton 1777-1850, son of Thomas Hamilton and Margaret Hamilton
* mother - Jane Hamilton 1777-1857

Can anyone provide any information on this family?

Private User
7/22/2020 at 8:13 PM

fixed it

Private User, what evidence do you have on the family to backup the disconnect that you did?

Jane Hamilton is still attached to 2 husbands with the same name
* William Hamliton 1777-1850, son of Laird James Hamliton and Angnes (Henry) Hamliton
* William (Hamilton) Hamilton 1st 1777-1850, son of Thomas Hamilton and Margaret (Downie) Hamilton

Private User
7/24/2020 at 7:38 AM

she is my 4th great grandma, the evidence i have on the family to back it up is from the family of the family - is that ok or do you know something i dont

I have no evidence for either sets of parents.

You (a 4th great granddaughter) have that the father is William (Hamilton) Hamilton 1st 1777-1850, son of Thomas Hamilton and Margaret (Downie) Hamilton
Private User ( a 4th great grandson) has that the father is William Hamliton 1777-1850, son of Laird James Hamliton and Angnes (Henry) Hamliton

No-one so far has provided any genealogical evidence for either father.

We need genealogical evidence to substantiate either man as the father.

Private User
7/24/2020 at 12:58 PM

yes I realize this, maybe Mark will provide the genealogical evidence needed ??

Do you have any evidence for the parents you propose?

Private User
7/26/2020 at 7:01 AM

only what I have in paper work from family. at this stage I am presuming it is a merge issue with Geni. or is it possible Jane did have two husbands called William. I intend on researching it further or Private User replies

7/16/2021 at 3:05 PM

Many descendants have tried to establish the parents of Jean/ Jane Hamilton over the last 40 or so years. We have evidence for her marriage to James Dawson in Feb 1816; we have evidence for her death on 9 August 1885 In Strathalbyn, South Australia. An obituary published in the Southern Argus on 13 Aug 1885, sates that she was 84 years old. This is confirmed in her death notice published in the Evening Journal, on the same day, describing her as ‘in her 85th year’, ie 84 years old, so born circa 1801.
There are a few potential candidates, but so far, no evidence for the birth or parents of our Jean/ Jane Hamilton. I am not comfortable having my name attached to a tree with the parents listed here. This is not what I have on my own FTM tree or the copy in Ancestry. My name is Rosemary Gall. The Geni tree here is in the name of my aunt Rosemary Brown because she is a direct matrilineal descendant of Jane Hamilton and James Dawson and I have posted her MtDNA here in the hope of finding others who may share it. I will prob remove her name if ‘my’ Geni tree continues to show parentage for Jane Hamilton is not proven but it presents as though I agree with it.

7/16/2021 at 3:05 PM

Many descendants have tried to establish the parents of Jean/ Jane Hamilton over the last 40 or so years. We have evidence for her marriage to James Dawson in Feb 1816; we have evidence for her death on 9 August 1885 In Strathalbyn, South Australia. An obituary published in the Southern Argus on 13 Aug 1885, sates that she was 84 years old. This is confirmed in her death notice published in the Evening Journal, on the same day, describing her as ‘in her 85th year’, ie 84 years old, so born circa 1801.
There are a few potential candidates, but so far, no evidence for the birth or parents of our Jean/ Jane Hamilton. I am not comfortable having my name attached to a tree with the parents listed here. This is not what I have on my own FTM tree or the copy in Ancestry. My name is Rosemary Gall. The Geni tree here is in the name of my aunt Rosemary Brown because she is a direct matrilineal descendant of Jane Hamilton and James Dawson and I have posted her MtDNA here in the hope of finding others who may share it. I will prob remove her name if ‘my’ Geni tree continues to show parentage for Jane Hamilton is not proven but it presents as though I agree with it.

7/16/2021 at 3:07 PM

@Jane Dawson Many descendants have tried to establish the parents of Jean/ Jane Hamilton over the last 40 or so years. We have evidence for her marriage to James Dawson in Feb 1816; we have evidence for her death on 9 August 1885 In Strathalbyn, South Australia. An obituary published in the Southern Argus on 13 Aug 1885, sates that she was 84 years old. This is confirmed in her death notice published in the Evening Journal, on the same day, describing her as ‘in her 85th year’, ie 84 years old, so born circa 1801.

7/16/2021 at 3:08 PM

@Jane Dawson Many descendants have tried to establish the parents of Jean/ Jane Hamilton over the last 40 or so years. We have evidence for her marriage to James Dawson in Feb 1816; we have evidence for her death on 9 August 1885 In Strathalbyn, South Australia. An obituary published in the Southern Argus on 13 Aug 1885, sates that she was 84 years old. This is confirmed in her death notice published in the Evening Journal, on the same day, describing her as ‘in her 85th year’, ie 84 years old, so born circa 1801.

7/16/2021 at 3:14 PM

@Jane Dawson Many descendants have tried to establish the parents of Jean/ Jane Hamilton over the last 40 or so years. Evidence for marriage to James Dawson in Feb 1816; evidence for her death on 9 August 1885 In Strathalbyn, South Australia aged 84, so born circa 1801. No evidence for birth or parentage. I dont want ‘my tree’ showing that I agree with info displayed here.

Given that no-one has provided any evidence in 12 months for either set of parents I have detached them from her profile and added unknown parents

{unknown mother of Jane Hamilton}
{unknown father of Jane Hamilton}

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion