George John Payne, II - Need a curator please and thank you

Started by Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087 on Thursday, October 8, 2020
Showing all 8 posts
10/8/2020 at 12:10 PM

https://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000001367387979?return=dupli...

Both show as daughter of George. I adopted the profile so it makes me suspect Elizabeth Peyton is NOT the same as Elizabeth Peyton which is a curated profile BT a profile at Wikitree shows the profile I adopted is the daughter of this George and Judith: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Payne-1540

The FindaGrave for George aparently does not show all his children and Elizabeth is not on it:https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/11294639/_

Did Elizabeth daughter of George and Judith marry both men? DO the parents need disconnected from one of the Elizabeths and if so which one?

8/21/2022 at 10:32 AM

They are NOT the same person.
Also, DAR shows HIS daughter Elizabeth as marrying a Goodson, not Peyton and not Woodson:
ELIZABETH [1] SAMUEL GOODSON

8/21/2022 at 10:35 AM

Perhaps a TYPO for Woodson

8/21/2022 at 10:39 AM

From her About:
The following is written by and has been researched personally by Carrie Bias Hoffert; The Elizabeth Pain that married on 2 Jan 1783 in AMHERST County, VA is NOT the daughter of George Payne and Judith (Burton) Payne! Following is just some of the supporting Documentation of Elizabewth Payne (daug of George and Judith (Burton) Payne) was the WIFE of Samuel Woodson and was NEVER married to Henry Peyton of Amherst Co VA to Cabell Co, WV!

ELIZABETH PAYNE married to SAMUEL WOODSON Samuel Woodson and Elizabeth Payne, grew up in the SAME COMMUNITY. Her brother, Joseph Payne served with Samuel Woodson in the REV WAR and the men remained close after the war. They attested to the Rev War service of one another on each of their PENSION RECORDS. Next I found the following records; Elizabeth (Payne) Woodson & Samuel Woodson Proof of their marriage; 1. THIS Elizabeth married CAPT. Samuel Woodson on 19 Jun 1777 • St James Northam Parish, GOOCHLAND County, Virginia.

2. ALSO Supported by the WILL of HER FATHER, GEORGE PAYNE Transcript of portion of will of George PAYNE, (His will, dated 23 Feb 1781, was probated 15 mar 1784 in Goochland Co, VA. )
Her father's will gives “to daughter Elizabeth Woodson, six slaves; and confirms a deed of gift to ten head of cattle and other property.” '

3. DAR RECORDS also confirm this union of Elizabeth Payne to Capt Samuel Woodson. This Elizabeth Payne Woodson was born on 19 Sep 1760 died UNKNOWN at this time, but most likely in Goochland Co, VA. She did NOT die in Cabell Co, VA (WV) in 1854! Thus the birthdate of 19 Sep 1760 belonges to Elizabeth (Payne) Woodson NOT to Elizabeth (Pain) Peyton.

The Payne Genealogy and the FAMILY SEARCH records that were previously listed here have all been deleted and so I have removed those references. Also below I am updating the Henry Peyton Lineage and documentation information.

First there is NO RECORD anywhere of his name being Henry Lindsey Peyton only records show Henry Peyton.

Updated "The Peytons of Virginia II", Vol II, page 198, Henry Peyton Jr. (C Line #37) Paraphased info....He served in Revolutionary War and has been documented. (CBH: Pay records for Private Henry Payton of Amherst Co, VA for service in VA State Line) also (Eckenrodem H. J. Lists of the Revolutionary War Soldiers, State Library of Virginia, 1913)" Born 19 Jan 1730 Culpeper Co, VA (CBH; as per his own statement in NAtional Archives testimony Pension File) He married Elizabeth Pain 2 Jan 1783 Amherst Co, VA. He died after date on headstone (1836) as record of his personal filing for appeal of pension in 1842. Died & Buried in Barboursville, Cabell Co, VA (now WV.) Elizabeth Pain was born c.a. 1760/1765 most likely in VA and died 6 Apr 1864 in Cabell Co, VA (now WV.

Henry & Elizabeth (Pain) Peyton had a daughter C Line #97 (page 199) Mary "Polly' Peyton; born 3 Sep 1797 ROckbridgge Co, VA, she married her first cousin; Henry Peyton C Line # 103 (page 199) son of William Peyton C Line # 38 (page 199) was born c.a. 1762 He married Nave/Nancy (Howard) Peyton on 20 Aug 1782 Amherst Co, VA. Henry Peyton (#103) and Mary 'Polly' (Peyton) Peyton (#97) married about 1812/1814. The informatin that has been corrected in Book II VOl II printed in 2004, the earlier book was printed in 1970s and more info was obtained for the second book. Information corrected; Cabell Co, was never a part of KY...it was part of VA and then became WV; Henry Born 19 Jan 1760 was not born in Amherst Co, VA...by his own admission he was born in Culpeper Co, VA.
C-Lineage direct for Henry Peyton born 1760 Culpeper; Henry Peyton #37; Henry Peyton #23; Valentine Peyton #15; Philip Peyton #10; Philip Peyton #5; Thomas Peyton Sr of Bisley Progenitor of Stafford Co, VIrginia Line. Henry Peyton (#23) born 1727 in Stafford (not Culpeper County, VA) and he was Killed abt 1781 and could not have fought in the Revolutionary War. His son Henry Peyton (#37) was the Henry Peyton of Amherst Co, VA that fought in the Rev War. I have a copy of his actual Pay Record, He was the ONLY Henry Peyton residing in AMherst Co, VA at the beginning and during the Rev War as per tax records. His DAR # is A089985. I have just completed my membership into the Peytons of VIrginia Society and had to have documentation at every stage of my lineage to Henry & Elizabeth (Pain) Peyton. I am just in process of completion of my DAR membership application and expect that to be accepted with the same documents that I used for my Peyton Society membership.

CompletedJun 9 2018 by Carrie Bias Hoffert (CBH)

Gravesite of Elizabeth (Pain) Peyton

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=peyton&am...;

Melissa, "The Peytons of Virginia" supports

your info. According to the book, William Payton m. Nancy Howard 28 Nov 1782. Their son, Henry, b. 8 Apr 1794, Barboursville, Cabell Co., KY, (now WV) m. Mary Peyton, b. 3 Sept 1797, Rockbridge, VA; d. 14 Jan 1866. Mary was the dau. of Henry Peyton, b. 19 Jan 1760, AmherstCo, VA; d. 1836/1843-8; m. 2 Jan 1783, Amherst Co, Elizabeth Pain(e). Henry's father, Henry, may be the son Valentine and Sarah Peyton; this Henry was b. 1727-30, CulpeperCo or more likely StaffordCo, VA; d. CavellCo, (now W.) Va. Rev. soldier.

----

8/21/2022 at 10:41 AM

Elizabeth Woodson married Capt. Samuel Woodson and is more likely George Woodson Payne, II 's daughter
Can we get these MP'd?

8/21/2022 at 10:43 AM

From the Discussion, 9/29/2016:

Carrie Bias Hoffert writes:

I am contacting you about this profile: Elizabeth Mary "Betsy" Peyton (Payne)

Her parents were not George Payne and Judith Burton Payne as you have on your profile;

It has become VERY apparent during my research that SHE was NOT the daughter of George Payne and Judith (Burton) Payne, as has been listed by many of her descendnts.

I base this on the following;

This same Elizabeth Payne is attributed to have married Samuel Woodson, with a confirmed marriage record as well. I have found in my personal research the following information regarding this Samuel Woodson;
1. The family of Samuel Woodson lived in Close proximnity in Pittsylvannia Co, VA to the Geroge Payne family of Elizabeth
2. The 2 families were well aquainted and had many dealings of record.
3. Samuel Woodson and the Brother of this specific Elizabeth Payne served in the Rev War TOGETHER, they additionally vouched for one another's pension & Bounty land records.
4. The 2 men continued throughout their lives to have many dealings with one another.
5. So all of this generally supports the conclusion that the Elizabeth Payne (daughter of George and Judith (Burton) Payne was married to Samuel Woodson was indeed the sister of his best friend, thus the daughter of George Payne and Judith (Burton) Payne.

FURTHER:
THERE is NO record of ANY connection of the The Peyton Family (of OUR Henry) and this Payne Family. There is no evidence to support the fact that OUR Henry Peyton knew any of the members of the family either.
There is no evidnce to support the claim that the Elizabeth Pain married to OUR Henry Peyton was the daughter of George and Judith (Burton) Payne.
I have gone thorugh EVERY online record of any kind I could find to see if I could find any link to our Henry Peyton. None have been found as yet.
So, my conclusion at this time is that OUR ELizabeth PAIN is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT ELIZABETH PAIN.
That Elizabeth, daughter of George Payne and Judith (Burton) Payne was very PROBABLY married to Samuel Woodson.
As Samuel and his wife were married and living in the EXACT same time period as our Henry and Elizabeth, there is no likelihood of any 2nd marriage of this Elizabeth (Payne) Woodson to OUR Henry Peyton. Further, Both Elizabeth (Payne) Woodson and Elizabeth (PAIN) Peyton were having children at the same time and so this is EVEN more definitive that no 2nd marriage occurred.

I have a copy of the ACTUAL marriage record of our Elizabeth PAIN to Henry Payton on 2 Jan 1783 in AMHERST Co, VA. No parents or other family connections are listed for Elizabeth on that record. Further on the DEATH record of Our Elizabeth (Pain) Peyton it states that her parents were A & L Burden of Amherst Co, VA. Her marriage record states she was single, so not married before. THe only thing possible was the the name PAIN was symbolic of BURDEN or that her mother had remarried to a man named Burden. There was an Archelus Burden living in Amherst county during the correct period to have been the father or step-father of Our Elizabeth Pain.

Also all of the siblings you have listed are NOT her siblings either.

Sincerely,

Carrie Bias Hoffert

8/21/2022 at 10:43 AM

I don't know how to grab the URL for this Discussion so I just did a cut/paste

sorry :/

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion