Zerubbabel 3rd Exilarch / זרובבל - Zrubavel wasn’t Shaltiel’s “Biological son”

Started by Yehoshua Aaron Levy Spira on Thursday, October 29, 2020
Problem with this page?

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 6 posts
10/29/2020 at 3:33 AM

המלבי"ם דברי הימים א פרק ג, פסוק יט הביא את המחלוקת: הרד"ק סובר שזרובבל היה בנו של פדיה, נכדו של שאלתיאל ונינו של יהויכין. הראב"ע סובר שהיה בנו של פדיה ונכדו של יהויכין. ושאלתיאל היה אחיו של פדיה ומת ללא בנים וייבם פדיה את אשתו ונולד מכך זרובבל. לכן ייוחס לדודו [-המת, שעל פי התורה הבן הנולד מן היבום "יקום על שם אחיו המת ולא ימחה שמו מישראל". דברים כה-ו]. ומאידך הראב"ע על חגי א-א כתב שכונה זרובבל 'בן שאלתיאל' מפני ששאלתיאל גידלו כבנו.

10/29/2020 at 4:08 AM

B”H
Im not suggesting to change the tree being that there’s an argument amongst the meforshim (biblical commentaries) if he was Pedia’s son, Shaltiel’s grandson, and Yoyachin’s great-grandson (Meir Leibush Weiser - Malbim). According to Abraham ibn Ezra he was son of Pedia, grandson of Yoyachin, Shaltiel being Pedia’s brother; since he married his brother’s childless widow through the Mitzvah of Yibum he is considered Shaltiel’s son “The firstborn son whom she bears will then perpetuate the name of the dead brother, so that his name will not be obliterated from Israel" — Deuteronomy 25:5-6, alternatively, Shaltiel raised his nephew and is therefore called his son.

10/29/2020 at 4:16 AM

Sorry both opinions are brought down in the Malibm but the first opinion is oth the Radak https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/111880/jewish/Rabbi-....

10/30/2020 at 8:50 AM

I am not seeing the whole conversation here!

Yehoshua Aaron Levy Spira,
I don't really have any real preference to which version we use (although not using Yibum to explain it appears neater). I supposed the tree could show BOTH version if we have Zerubbabel ADOPTED by Pedia, in addition to being son of Shaltiel.

Looking at this part of the tree recently, I found that there are 2-3 DIFFERENT Zerubbabel all closely related. From people adding and PARTIALLY merging duplicate copies of these lines.

If you/we can reach a decision on how to arrange his father(s), I will clean it all up, and LOCK it to prevent further changes.

It would be really nice if people would NOT be constantly duplicating the tree and making a mess. I'm constantly working to fix things instead of improving the profiles.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion