Flavius Richomeres, Consul of Rome (384) - Roots run far...and Deep! Flavius Richomeres is my 59th GG!!

Started by Denise Victoria Savoiardo on Monday, March 29, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 28 posts
3/29/2021 at 8:43 AM

I have been adding some updates to my French-Canadian tree and decided to look back at all my ancestors...discovered that they run far and deep...right into Normandy, Ancient Rome and Viking Era!! (this all from my mother's blood relatives)

It is hard thought to find my paternal side...the Banka family ...they immigrated from Poland (what used to be part of Russia rule) to Canada before WWI...

I any case, this find is truly amazing!!

Private User
3/29/2021 at 8:56 AM

Hello there! Flavius Richomeres is my 48th great grandfather. Greetings from Finland!

3/29/2021 at 9:01 AM

Also my 49th great grandfather Greetz;from the Netherlands.

3/29/2021 at 9:08 AM

I believe that he is my ancestor as well. Can you share how he ties in with French Canadian lines?

3/29/2021 at 9:45 AM

Roy Huijer hello 20th cousin twice removed 😁

3/29/2021 at 9:48 AM

Joseph Bolton we are 19th cousin once removed 😁

3/29/2021 at 10:10 AM

@Joseph Bolton, I also have French Canadian lineage back to Flavius Richomeres. Maybe this will help you?

You

Mae Jean LaFayette
your mother

Norman Camille LaFontaine
her father

Frederick Napoleon LaFontaine
his father

Philomene Vestro Lafontaine
his mother

Madeleine Gesson Dit Jeannot
her mother

Pierre "Che-Na-Me" Falcon, Jr.
her father

Pierre Jean Baptiste Falcon
his father

Marie Genevieve Cécile Victoire Genevieve Tremblay
his mother

Ursule Simard dite Lombrette
her mother

Ursule Paré
her mother

Marie-Marguerite Caron
her mother

Marie-Marguerite Gagnon
her mother

Marguerite Cauchon
her mother

Jehan Cochon
her father

Abel Cauchon
his father

Thierry Cauchon, Seigneur de Maupas
his father

Jean Cauchon
his father

Jacques Cauchon
his father

Rémi Cauchon, seigneur de Gueux
his father

Jacques Cauchon
his father

Rémi Cauchon
his father

Rémi Cauchon
his father

Isabelle de Nanteuil
his mother

Marie de Brienne
her mother

Philippa de Champagne
her mother

Isabella I of Anjou, queen of Jerusalem & Cyprus
her mother

Amalric of Anjou, king of Jerusalem
her father

Fulk V, King of Jerusalem
his father

Fulk IV "The Surly", count of Anjou
his father

Geoffrey II "Ferréol", count of Gâtinais
his father

Beatrice of Mâcon
his mother

Aubry II, comte de Mâcon
her father

Richilde de Bourgogne, Comtesse
his mother

Adelaide of Burgundy
her mother

Conrad II "the Younger", Duke of Upper Burgundy
her father

Conrad I "the Elder", count of Auxerre
his father

Hedwig, Abbess of Chelles
his mother

Isembart, count in Thurgau
her father

Warin II, count in Thurgau and Lobdegau
his father

Odilia (Haildis) Von Elsass Welfen, von Elsass
his mother

Adalbert I, duke of Alsace
her father

Berswinde d'Austrasie
his mother

Sigebert III, King of Austrasia
her father

Regintrude of the Burgundians
his mother

Saint Gertrude, abbess of Hamage
her mother

Theodebald I, duke of the Bavarians
her father

Agivald, duke of the Bavarians
his father

Regnaberga of the Burgundians
his mother

Godegisel, king of the Burgundians
her father

Sister of Ricimer
his mother

Princess of the Visigoths N.N.
her mother

Unknown Daughter of Flavius Richomeres
her mother

Flavius Richomeres, Consul of Rome (384)

3/29/2021 at 10:35 AM

Flavius Richomeres is my 45th great grandfather through my my father's bloodline.

Private User
3/29/2021 at 12:32 PM

Flavius Richomeres Consul of Rome (384)
is my 47th great grandfather.

Private User
3/29/2021 at 3:08 PM

Flavius Richomeres, consul of Rome 9384) IS MY 50TH GGF.. so hello cousins

Private User
3/30/2021 at 1:40 AM

Hi,
I also found out recently about my ancestry going back to Flavius, Frankish, Anglos Saxon and also quite a few Viking connections.
Flavius, supposedly, is my 51st grandfather.

Imagine living in the year 384 in Ancient Rome and thinking that your descendants 1600 years from now will meet up one day though a thing called the Internet!

Good old grandpa Flavius, my he rest in peace!

3/30/2021 at 12:55 PM

Hello Denise. Exactly the same thing happens to me. The direct roots of my maternal grandmother Ophelia de Medeiros Corrêa, of distant portuguese-Azorian origin, have passed the "first" 100 generations known in Geni. From her I inherited the mtDNA H-1c haplogroup.

But I got nothing about the European ancestors of my German great-grandfather Dr.Heinrich Burkhart and his wife LOuise Lezler Burkhart, who immigrated do Brazil in 1854, coming from the city of Halle, Pomeran, where he was Professor of Mathematics at the Deutche School. From him I inherited the haplogroup Y-DNA J-M172. Greetings from Brasilia.

3/31/2021 at 2:22 AM

my 49th but there are a huge amount of inconsistences if any one knows how to fix them all

Private User
3/31/2021 at 9:38 AM

Colleen Dorothy Maunsell
I guess one has to take it with a pinch of salt, because over such a long time period there are too many ways records could be wrong ... which would throw everything off.
But it is fun, anyway.
It gives me a whole new appreciation of my Latin lessons, which I had in school.

3/31/2021 at 5:17 PM

Private User.. I agree

4/3/2021 at 9:04 AM

Goodness, so many great grand children

Please, tell me.

I have been curious?

Flavius Richomeres, Counsul of Rome 384
Born: c. 350 Toxandria, Germania Inferior, Galliae, Roman Empire

Father: Teutomer
Born: c. 310 France
Died; June 26, 363 France

So who is:
Flavius Merobaudes Richomeres
Born: c. 314
Died: c. 383
Marcomir De Toxandrie.

Private User
4/3/2021 at 9:11 AM

Private User and Colleen Dorothy Maunsell
I agree with you..."pinch of salt" it is, yet still! Fun!!!

4/3/2021 at 1:42 PM

Has anyone done any research in Armenia?

4/3/2021 at 6:21 PM

Many “Romans” were not ethnic Romans but came from other parts of the empire.

I assume that Flavius is a surname (perhaps derived from a nickname - Flavius means yellow-haired) adopted by some of the Romanized Franks. They do not appear to be connected to the old patrician Roman Flavian family. (Gaius Julius Caesar - aka Julius Caesar - was a member of the Julian family. Male surnames: Julius, Flavius; Female surnames: Julia, Flavia.)

Richimir/Richomeres appears to be a common Frankish name. Merobaudes may be also.

Although some of the descendants of the Frankish Flavians appear to have dropped the Roman surname, others appear to have kept it. A 5th century Roman general and poet (presumably of Frankish descent) was also named Flavius Merobaudes, as a notable example.

4/3/2021 at 6:38 PM

Flavius means his family gained roman citizenship during the flavian dynasty and were given the prenom Flavius. eg the Jew Josephus became Flavius Josephus.

4/4/2021 at 6:35 AM

Ladies an d Gentlemen; Mr. Jason Scott Wills. Thank you for joining us and for your outline concerning the name Flavius. Could "Flavius" be considered a title?
Where is Justin Swanstrom?

The Romans took hostages from local tribes as "Guarantor of peace". These guarantors were usually children.
These hostages were generally well treated and taken in by Prominent Romans and trained into the Roman way of life.
Evidence of hostage taking is Bran king of Saluria (a Druid King and High Priest of the Druids) who became a Roman Admiral in the Roman Navy, He was baptized by the Apostle Paul and became the first Christian in the British Isles and is believed to have married Anna of Arimathea but also transported Joseph of *Arimathea to the British Isles.

Mr. Guy La Fayette our common bloodline splits at Fulk V where I follow Geoffroy V, Count of Anjou, Maine and Touraine b: 24, Aug 1113.
contact me < gwellsgary363@gmail.com >

* Note: A brief on Joseph of Arimathea.
https://d.lib.rochester.edu/camelot/text/history-of-that-holy-disci...

4/4/2021 at 12:16 PM

I’m not sure I understand Roman naming conventions that well, including the praenomen/nomen/cognomen (personal name/family name/nickname), particularly as they may have changed by the time Christianity was legalised in the 4th century.

Many freedmen/new citizens assumed the nomen Flavius during the years of the Flavian dynasty (69-96). Was this a prescribed practice or simply a custom? Various accounts of the life of Titus Flavius Josephus suggest that he assumed his new name to honor his patron Vespasian (Titus Flavius Vespasianus) and/or to follow the custom of accepting the family name of the ruling dynasty.

However, Flavius also became a common name (described as a praenomen or almost a praenomen) in the 4th century and later, first in imperial families and later in other classes. Both Constantine the Great (Flavius Valerius Constantinus) and his father Constantius I (Flavius Valerius Constantius) bore this name, for example. (I’m not sure why it is not considered a true praenomen.)

Flavius Richomeres and other members of his family could be descendants of men who became citizens in the late 1st century, although the putative father of Flavius, Teutomer, appears to have been a Frank in Roman service who did not use the nomen Flavius. Could this family have assumed this name to honor Constantine the Great or another emperor in his family? Or were naming conventions more flexible at that time?

4/4/2021 at 12:34 PM

Richomeres became a roman citizen under the reign of Flavius Honorius

4/4/2021 at 12:39 PM

Because the dynasty of Constantius and Constantine claimed descent from the Flavian dynasty, perhaps newly-made Roman citizens of this time could assume this name.

See the Wikipedia article on the Flavia gens:

“The emperor Claudius Gothicus claimed descent from the Flavian dynasty, and Constantine the Great in turn claimed descent from him via his father, Constantius Chlorus. As a result, Flavius was borne by all members of Constantine's dynasty. Following its use by the Constantinian dynasty, the name assumed the attributes of an imperial title, much as Antoninus had been treated by the Severan dynasty, who followed the Antonines. It was borne by the Valentinian and Theodosian dynasties, and subsequently by barbarian rulers claiming to be their rightful successors.”

4/4/2021 at 12:56 PM

Flavius Honorius became emperor in 393, the year Flavius Richomeres died. Richomeres was a consul in 384 (consul was a high elective office open only to citizens). However, Richomeres could have become a citizen under any of the “neo-Flavian” emperors of the 4th century (the several dynasties mentioned in my earlier note).

4/4/2021 at 1:19 PM

basically if you had one name you were a barbarian or slave / non roman.

if you had 2 names you had been granted citizenship

if you had 3 names you were born a citizen

4/16/2021 at 5:09 PM

Can anyone claim decent from other Roman bloodlines (Lulus b. c -740 Italy) and/or Middle Eastern: Hebrew maybe Armenia?

5/16/2021 at 1:47 PM

No.

Showing all 28 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion