Participants:

• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • William W
    Geni member
Showing all 10 posts
Private User
7/30/2021 at 12:20 PM

I'm very glad to see that someone took the effort to digitize (probably with OCR) the full text of ECCP and put everything on wikisource, even with proper links!

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Eminent_Chinese_of_the_Ch%27ing_Period

Private, how is this as our next push?

William W
7/30/2021 at 10:10 PM

Okay, very fine, thanks for the notice, can you put the data into the《清代名人傳略》project page on Geni? so that we can try to finish this project, and I believe this project can be easily finished.

Private User
8/21/2022 at 10:19 PM

I've included the list of biographies in the description here, so that we could use this page to keep track of progress. I can use some help, Private. You could work from earliest-added, adding the profile link to the page here. I'll work from most-recently-added. Now we have 403 profiles, though I haven't added the emperors yet. We are just about half way through ECCP?

You can leave the task of copy&pasting text to me; I've got pretty good at fixing italic/bold. Thanks for your help!

William W
8/21/2022 at 11:02 PM

That's great, but I have one question. If a person is mentioned in the ECCP though he or she doesn't have a complete biography in the ECCP, should he or she be counted? Or we can only count a person that has the full biography?

For example, A is a very famous statesman of the Ching Period, in his biography, it also mentions a little bit about his son, should his son be also tagged in our project or one the famous statesman can be tagged?

Thanks.

Private User
8/21/2022 at 11:50 PM

Indeed, Yuan Shikai is under Yuan Jiasan, for one important example. If I'm not mistaken, their criterion was that the person had to have died before 1911.

It's also a common practice in dynastic histories, and their names are mentioned in the "table of contents". Add them as you see fit (no hard criterion though).

William W
8/22/2022 at 12:33 AM

So we should include all of them as long as they are in the "table of contents", and what if the person died before 1911 and he is not included in the table of contents at the same time?

Private User
8/22/2022 at 7:36 AM

Sorry I wasn't clear. Such "table of contents" exist for dynastic histories, and I have projects for those. Add profiles there too, if and when you run into them.

The ECCP has an index, but that would be too much work. Use your judgment (I'd say when it's a more than a mere passing mention).

William W
8/22/2022 at 6:47 PM

That makes sense to me.

Are you sure this website has digitalized every statesman that's in the ECCP?

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Eminent_Chinese_of_the_Ch%27ing_Period

By the way, as you can see, I've updated several profiles, please tag them into the ECCP project.

Thanks.

William W
8/25/2022 at 5:48 AM

I don't have access to 孫玉庭's profile, please tag him in the ECCP Private User

William W
8/26/2022 at 6:22 PM

Thanks for tagging 孫玉庭, please also tag 彰泰 in the ECCP. Private User

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion