Birthplace of Hannah Wright

Started by Duncan Hodder on Friday, October 29, 2021
Showing all 12 posts
10/29/2021 at 6:54 PM

Further to my post below regarding Richard Worthing, I have now noted a discrepancy in the birthplace of Hannah (Wright) Worthing [Convict "Louisa" 1827]
Her birthplace is presently shown as Stamford Lincolnshire, but her T.O.L. and Ship's Muster records (uploaded to her record) indicate that her native place was Stockport, Cheshire.
There is a record for Hannah Wright born 29 May 1805 to William & Martha Wright. Interestingly, Hannah's firstborn was called Martha; coincidence??
A change of parentage is likely as a result of a change in birthplace!?, so the present father, Roland, is also doubtful

Also, Stockport is supported by the fact that Hannah was convicted at the Chester (Cheshire) Assizes

Hi,
I am just going through all the sources attached to her profile and adding the values that they source.

Leanne

According to the ships muster Hannah travelled to Australia with 5 children - so WRIGHT could be her married name rather than a birth name.

She may have also had more children - as it says "with her 5"

https://convictrecords.com.au/convicts/wright/hannah/114295

In 1830 she requested to marry John Hall - Convict "Shipley" - this was rejected as she was already married

Has anyone found a transcript of her trial?

It could be this one https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C13504413

Prisoner name: Hannah Wright.

Court and date of trial: Cheshire Epiphany Sessions, Chester, 1827.

Crime: Larceny against John Statey.

Initial sentence: Seven years transportation.

Gaoler's report: 'Character from gaol - good'.

Annotated: 'Nil'.

Petitioner(s): Deborah Wright (mother), of Pickadilly [or Piccadilly], Stockport [Cheshire] undersigned by John Statey (prosecutor) and 10 inhabitants of [Stockport].

Grounds for clemency: The convict has a two-week old daughter and a 17-month old son [entirely dependent upon her].

Other papers: Letter from Deborah Wright transmitting her petition.

Martha was born 3 April 1827 - and the letter from Hannah's mother says she has a 2 week old so the letter must have been written around the 17th April 1827.

Her son - aged 17 months - would have been born around November 1825

Given her age (born 1805) I wonder if the other 3 children on the ship with her were her step-children. (they weren't completely dependent on her like her 17 month old and 2 week old.

10/30/2021 at 1:27 AM

The Trial reference appears correct, and the two children mentioned by her mother, Deborah, are also confirmed in the Ship Muster (not 5, reference is 'two - with her').

Her mother's name is given as Deborah Wright, so doubtful Hannah was married, and
Also Hannah's trail on 8th Jan, conforms with the Epiphany Sessions as referenced, so pretty sure we have the right 'Hannah', and confirms her birthplace as Stockport.

I have uploaded a citation to Hannah's daughter, Martha Martha (Wright) Newcombe [Free Settler "Louisa" 1827] that shows Martha born to Hannah in gaol, presumably Stockport Gaol, with Hannah shown as being a 'spinster' Appears she was not married at the time of transportation

Lol - I read the two as five - multiple times. But now I see it as two clearly.

Is her trial record on Geni?

10/30/2021 at 9:49 PM

Unfortunately that is a summary of the trial - I was hoping someone had access to the actual record as it might contain more information.

Hi

we have all the records now sourced and her profile matches the records. There is a discrepancy with her marital status in 1830 (described as married)

What would be good would be to get copies of

• her trial records and the letters for clemency
  • the 1830 permission to marry

Leanne

11/1/2021 at 4:35 PM

I have a copy of the Refusal for marriage that I will upload, in the meantime, the following outlines my views on Hannah's marital status up to the time of her Cert. of Freedom in 1834

The Marital Status of Hannah Wright at the time of Transportation

There is some speculation that Hannah (Worthing) Wright was married before her transportation to Sydney.
This possibly stems from a woman of the same name, Hannah Wright, marrying John Appleby in Stockport on 22 June 1825. This marriage serendipitously matches the birth of Hannah (Worthing) Wright’s first-born son circa Oct. 1825, although this suggests Hannah was 5 mo. pregnant at the time, if they are the same person. Further, the marriage record of Hannah and John Appleby provides Hannah’s D.O.B as 1794, in Stockport. It may be that Roland Wright, the colloquial father of Hannah (Worthing) Wright, was in fact father to the earlier born Hannah, but no support of this could be found.
John Appleby was a grocer, which makes it difficult to believe that his wife would be into stealing shoes.
Records also show the burial of Hannah Wright on the 31 May 1826, aged 32, which conforms closely to the Hannah Wright that married John Appleby.
There are no other marriages of Hannah Wright that can presently be found.

Hannah (Worthing) Wright was convicted of her 3rd case of felony on the 9th Jan. 1827. Her second child, Martha, was born in the Chester gaol, and was baptised in gaol on April 18th 1827. On Martha’s baptismal record, Hannah is stated as ‘spinster’.
It is most unlikely that authorities would allow Hannah to marry prior to transportation, and that her status of ‘spinster’ continued until her arrival in Sydney.
The simplest, and most likely explanation for Hannah’s surname ‘Wright’ is that this was her maiden name, (https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/08/occams-razor/49...), however there is the matter of a refused permission for her marriage to John Hall in 1830, on the basis that on arrival into the Colony she had stated she was married.
Hannah’s surname “Wright” continued to be used up to the time of her Cert. of Freedom in 1834, viz:
• On assignment to the Parramatta Female Factory in 1828, and
• Again, in the Factory in 1829,
• Refused marriage permission in 1830
• On her first T.O.L. in 1832, and
• On her final Cert. of Freedom in 1834
Hannah faced a conundrum that was similar for many convict women………………It was a much better outcome for female convicts to state they were single or widowed, as on marriage, they would be released to the assignment of their husbands, and in general could live a relatively ‘free’ life without the continual intervention of Gov’t. Authorities, and free of the risks posed by other men. (1) Many women who were married yet separated by transportation also professed to be single until research by Authorities found otherwise (and which was usually contained in the details of their trial).
So why would Hannah state she was married on arrival? It is probable to protect the status of her two children, and avoid them being ‘branded’ as ‘bastards’, with the notoriety that this label brought.
In reality, there was no other option for Hannah given she had two dependent children with her. This ‘marriage’ declaration, however, consigned Hannah to serve her full sentence under Government ‘supervision’, and to this end she is noted as Hannah Wright until her Cert. of Freedom.
Hannah’s marriage to John Hall was refused on the basis that she had stated she was married on arrival into Sydney. Once stated, the condition became fact and was duly recorded by Authorities.
(1) A Cargo of Women – Babbette Smith

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion