Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 2 posts
Private User
11/2/2021 at 5:58 PM

There are at least 8 John Jones's in Rutherford about the same time. It's insanely confusing and I have been picking at this forever to try and straighten it out.

[(2.) There were seventeen Jones families in Rutherford County, NC in 1790. Eight were headed by men named John Jones.
Four of these families were in the Whiteside Settlement: (Blind) John Jones, Josiah Jones (Duncan's Creek), Robert Jones
(Duncan's Creek) and William Jones who married Mary Melton (First Broad River.) All four of them were associated with
each other in the early records and may have been related. Most of the Jones family members mentioned in the public records
of the times were not from Whitesides Settlement] quote from "The Descendants of Edward Colley (Jr) and Mary Strong" by Marshall Styles.

The book mentioned above was a big help to me. It seems the most comprehensive data I've seen, and to note, I'm using it as a basis for building upon.

I'd like to just focus on two of these John Jones's. One was married to Elizabeth Pettypool and the other was married to Sarah Colley. The one that was married to Sarah Colley is my ancestor I believe, but I find more often than not that Elizabeth Pettypool is mistakenly in the tree. I'm going to lay out why I think that the one married to Sarah is the right pair. Maybe someone will know better and correct this.

Here is John Jones' will, the one married to Sarah. (The Blind One)

["In the name of God Amen. I John Jones senior of the County of Rutherford & State of North Carolma, being in the use of my
proper senses have hereby constituted my Last Will and Testament, viz; Do give & bequeath unto my beloved wife Sarah
Colley one Cow and Calf and one three-year heiffer, one sow and ten pigs, and ten year-old hogs and all my household
furniture, and one Negro man hamed Frank during her lifetime and at her death all to be sold and an equal divide made among
all my children, and I also give and bequeath unto my beloved son Charles Jones one Still now in the possession of William
Jones, and also one cow to my beloved daughter Ursley Queen; and also one black mare and five head of young cattle to be
sold and equally divided among my Children, & it is also my request and will that she remain during her lifetime and keep all
the property and the land where she now is.
"I do hereby constitute and appoint my beloved son Edward Jones Executor to this my last will and testament in witness
whereof I do hereunto set my hand and seal this 16th Day of Febmary 1824. Signed John (x) Jones " The reverse side of his
will bears the following notation by the Clerk of Court "John Jones (BLIND), Last Will and Testament. Recorded July Court
1825.}

Mentions
Wife: Sarah Colley
Children: Charles, William, Ursley & Edward.

Now, John Jones, married to Elizabeth Pettypool:

[I, John Jones being under the decay of nature but of sound mind & membory. I give to my four eldest daughters Sarah Buchanan, Martha Green, Elizabeth Buchanan and Nancy Green one feather bed each with the furniture belonging to each bed. I give to my wife, Ann Jones, 2 heifers which she brought with her. I desire the ballance of my estate be sold and the money to be divided as follows. First I allow my just debts be paid. Then $50 to my wife, Ann Jones, 20 shillings to my son, Stephen Jones, the balance of the money to be divided between Sarah Buchanan, Martha Green, Elizabeth Buchanan and Nancy Green, Frances Bridges, Midred McKinny, and Sterling Jones, dec'd (his children to have a share with the others) of what should have been
their father's part, Lewis Jones, Elijah Jones, John Jones Junr., Edward Jones, Robert Jones & Atha [Allen] Jones.
I appoint my sons Edward & Robert Jones as executors;
signed:John Jones;
witnesses: John Hord, Audley Hamilton, Richard Bostick;
recorded July Court 1821]

Mentions
Wife: Ann
Children: Nancy, Frances, Mildred, Sterling, Lewis, Elijah, John, Edward, Robert & Allen

Now, there are more children than are mentioned in the will of John, the Blind One. Marshall Styles lists:

+30 i. Jonathan Hampton "Jack" Jones, born about 1777, Virginia; married Sarah West, about 1796,
Rutherford County, NC.
+31 ii. Josiah Jones, born about 1778, Rutherford County, NC; married Catherine F. Queen, on 13 Febmary
1806, Rutherford County, NC.
+32 iii. Robert Jones, born in 1779, Rutherford County, NC; married Rebecca Queen, before 1822,
Rutherford County, NC.
+33 iv. John Jones (Jr.), born in 1783, Rutherford County, NC; married Lettice Melton, on 3 August 1813,
Burke County, NC; died on 5 September 1870, Union County, GA
34 v. Sarah Jones was born in 1785 in Rutherford County, NC. She died in 1860 in McDowell County,
NC. Research of Paul Mears.
+35 vi. Charles Jones, born in 1787, Rutherford County, NC; married Elizabeth Jones (maiden name
unknown), about 1809, Rutherfordton, Rutherford, NC; died in January 1846, Haywood County, NC.
+36 vii. Edward Jones, born in 1788, Rutherfordton, Rutherford, NC; married Olive Vine Queen, before
1817, Rutherford County, NC; died after 1850, North Carolina.
+37 viii. Ursula Jones, born about 1794, Rutherford County, NC; married Joseph Henson Queen, before
1819, Rutherford County, NC; died between 1870 and 1880, Habersham County, GA.
+38 ix. William Jones, born in 1799, Rutherford County, NC; married Sarah McGlammery, about 1825,
North Carolina

Now, there is a child named John that's the son of John and Elizabeth. But he was born b. 28 Feb 1785, which is like 30 years from the one that married Lettice Melton. And the Federal 1870 census has that one and Lettice living with their son, ages 80 and 81.

If you cannot reach any of these sources, I can provide a screenshot or whatever.

https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/records/item/529827-desc...=

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/21655263/elizabeth-jones

https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/records/item/209225-the-...=

Private User
11/2/2021 at 6:06 PM

Also, John Jones that was married to Elizabeth Pettypool, was married again after she died, to Ann.

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion