11/5/2021 at 12:59 AM

Jan Jansz van Rensburg

Why do these profiles exist on GENI ?

J P Weyers
11/5/2021 at 1:01 AM
Private User
11/5/2021 at 2:51 AM

@ Phillip,
Jan Jansz van Rensburg is een van die Janse/Jansen van Rensburgs se voorvaders - my man se 7de oupa aan moederskant. Daar is kontroversie in die Familie oor waar hulle vandaan kom. Een neef van my man wat lank in Europa gewerk het het beweer dat hulle uit die Duitse dorpie Rensburg kom en nie uit Nederland nie.
Terloops, binne een gesin is daar Janse en Jansen van Rensburgs. Blykbaar het party net besluiit om hulle van anders te spel.

Baeldaeg blyk my 52ste oupa te wees aan die Botha kant! Dit was bloot vir my interessant om Geni dit te laat soek.
Groete
Rina G

11/5/2021 at 3:09 AM

@ So far I have not experienced anything of this nature..

I would be careful not to speculate on this subject, but at the same time in view of so many areas of life being interfered by fraudulent issues affecting us, we must be continually on the look out.

J P Weyers
11/5/2021 at 4:01 AM

Rina - eeste mens in SA wat ek hoor nie afstam van Claas Jansz nie. Is dit moontlik!
Is jy afstammeling van Eva Krotoa ?
3 van Claas se kinders my voorsate.
Ek dink ook Rendsburg in Duitsland die oorsprong eerder.
Op doop dokument vroeg 1700's selfs van Rensenburg gebruik.

11/5/2021 at 4:52 AM

Rina.
As jy sê Baeldaeg aan Botha kant... menende Van Rensburg of Botha lyn?

11/5/2021 at 4:58 AM

This is a bit tongue in cheek but is he not related to the god in the Bible named Baal?

Private User
11/6/2021 at 1:19 AM

@ Ek het nie hierdire storie bestudeer nie, Maar dis interessant.
Ek het weer na die lys name gekyk. Die pad in Suid-Afrika was Botha, Fourie, Grobler, Strydom.
Joost Strydom het na Suid Afrika gekom. Oor die Strydoms het ek nog nie gewerk nie.
In Europa is persone van die volgende plekke genoem: Ghent, Dijon, Champagne and Chartres, Louis IV koning van Wes Francia, Edward I koning van die Anglo Saksers, Alfred die Grote koning van die Anglo Saksers, Aethelwulf, koning van Wessex, Ditto vir Cynric, dan Crioda en cedric van Wes SAkse , Daarna net name en dan sê hulle Baeldaeg was koning van Westphalia.

Ons moet onthou die storie gaan terug tot voor die Middeleeue. Wat ons as koning beskou was in werklikheid maar net 'n landheer oor 'n sekere area. Ek het veral in die boek oor London wel van die Anglo Saksers en veral Edward I en Alfred die Grote gelees. Louis IV moes in die Lodewyke van Frankryk se voorgeslagte gewees het.

Look at his profile where there is some information or rather speculation..We all know he could not be a descendant of a god.

Philip Thank you for this enjoyable topic.

Private User
11/6/2021 at 1:28 AM

@Hendrik Botha,
My Oupa was Botha daarvandaan loop die storie soos ek bo verduidelik het.
Botha, Fourie, Grobler, Strydom. Joost Strydom het na Suid Afrika gekom
Ek het bloot gekyk na name en dit nie bestudeer nie.
Groete
Riina

J P Weyers
11/6/2021 at 1:52 AM

RINA -Interessant ek weer Baeldag my 58th grt grandfather >>>> Broeckhuijsen > Hoogeboom >van Deventer ( sy seun na SA +- 1690 ) > Nel > Coetzer > Yzelle > Jacobs -Ek

Private User
11/29/2021 at 1:44 PM

I have found the most unexpected people in my ancestry, and I do have a few of those mythical characters, among them Odin. Just clicking and clicking on the names of Spanish royals on my tree, I was able to go all the way to Adam of Eden! --Of course, via his third son Seth (who must have married one of his sisters not mentioned in Genesis but who do appear in other sources, both Judaic and Islamic).
Many historical figures used to claim they descended from gods. Most likely as a means to validate their claims to power and grandiosity. Julius Cesar claimed he descended from the goddess Diana! (all Romans believed they descended from the Trojan hero Aeneas; now we know they were locals).
What I would find out of place is the claim Bældæg (my 53rd great grandfather) was killed by Loki, another god in the same pantheon Odin used to be a main role player. It could be an attempt to further legitimize their powerful position... Or are we to expect clarification this killer "loki" is not the god but some mortal sharing his name? That happens a lot even today. If that is the case, and in the absence of a Geni profile on Loki, it is irrelevant who killed him and I would suggest deleting the note.
That said, I am sure many branches of the tree end in "fictitious/imaginary" characters that were actual human beings, who went through an apotheosis of sorts as time went by and their deeds were embellished by bards and troubadours before they landed in written poems and sagas.
Fascinating!

3/21/2022 at 12:25 AM

Baeldaeg was likely real and I've heard that he married a woman named Nanna a princess from Norway. But the idea he was descended from Odin is ludicrous.

J P Weyers
3/21/2022 at 12:38 AM

Went -- WHY ludicrous ?
See how many claiming descent of Biblical Adam or Jesus or Abraham on GENI ?
As far fetched .

3/21/2022 at 11:14 AM

Indeed. Unfortunately that far back in time most people believed that.

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion