Father; Wyatt Coleman (1732–1795)
Mother: Sarah Lindsey (1735–1794)

?

11/23/2021 at 2:11 PM

And his Wiki page has his parents as:

f John Orphat Coleman and Isabel (Minor) Coleman

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Coleman-342

So, who are his actual parents?

Any help confirming his parents would be appreciated.

Thanks.

11/23/2021 at 2:12 PM

WAY down toward the bottom of his Wiki page, there is this comment;

I am going to suggest that Elizabeth Garland Coleman should be deleted as a wife of Spencer Coleman. Lucy White and Spencer were having children at the time Elizabeth Goodwin married A Spencer Coleman. I am sure there is a marriage as evidenced by this notation, but I would suggest that it was a DIFFERENT Spencer Coleman. Absolem was born to Lucy and Spencer c 1787 and chldren after that came at regular intervals to Spencer and Lucy. In his will, Spencer names his wife as Lucy. I am hoping the profile manager will review this and take action.

11/23/2021 at 2:14 PM

Below that note above from the Wiki page is this one:

Spencer Coleman is not a son of Samuel Coleman and Elizabeth Wyatt. Samuel died 1748 (Probated Will) he is not mentioned in the will or any orphan proceeding like the rest of Samuels children.
posted Feb 08, 2017 by [Living Daly]

which indicates that of the three sets of parents (from Geni, Ancestry and Wiki), the set of parents attached here on Geni aren't correct.

11/23/2021 at 2:17 PM

This site is adamant that this Spencer never had a wife named Elizabeth. Says he had a 2nd wife with whom he had no children, and her name was Sarah:

https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/coleman/4717/

11/23/2021 at 2:23 PM

If the Wiki connections are correct, Spencer has the same Coleman grandparents but Samuel Spilsbe Coleman would be his uncle rather than his father.

11/23/2021 at 2:30 PM

I found a Wyatt Robert Coleman with wife Sarah Lindsey. Wyatt was the son of Samuel Spilsbe Coleman and Elizabeth Wyatt. Samuel Spilsbe Coleman was the son of Robert Spilsbe Coleman and Mary Clayton.

They are, of course, all related.

Just from the length of all the notes on the Wiki page for this Spencer, it 'seems' that site has the most accurate information.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion