King Halvdan "The Gray" Sigurdsson - His Parents (for consideration)

Started by Glen Stephen Poland on Saturday, November 27, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 30 posts
11/27/2021 at 7:01 AM

Some info found for consideration:

https://sites.rootsweb.com/~mwgrogan/data/fam06426.html

11/27/2021 at 8:51 AM

King Halvdan "The Gray" Sigurdsson is my 27th great grandfather.

11/27/2021 at 9:22 AM

Good mornin relatives! King Halvdan is my blood 36th ggf and in law relationshipis is my 29th ggf's wifes' 2nd ggf. i believe that Sigurd Rise Haraldsson is his father but any additional conversation seems to have been shut down by the curator and/or managers, so that is where the conversation would need to begin.

11/27/2021 at 1:35 PM

I would like to know what proof and by whom has been found to assert that he was indeed not the grandson of Harald fairhair… is it cherry-picking that is going on regarding Snorri Sturlussons writings ?

11/27/2021 at 2:15 PM

Then you all need to have that conversation with the viking and medeival historians in the Nordic countries from 1990 till today. Most of them that have written an article or book about relationships between Olav Haraldson/Olav Tryggvason and Harald Fairhair have come to the conclusion that it is a good story invented by Snorre Sturlasson.

So take the discussion with the historians.

Private User
11/27/2021 at 2:35 PM

@Guðbjörn Ívar Kjartansson, the manager of the profile of King Halvdan "The Gray" is th curator Remi Tryggve Pedersen and he seems to be rewriting the Saga's in his own desire. I sincerely doubt that His "Highness" Remi Tryggve Pedersen acknowledges that the stories in the book of Landnama and for sure will probably denie the newly discoveries in Newfoundland are based on scientific facts are true, just because they are written in by Icelandic authors. Just by reading through his statement on King Halfdan's profile where Remi states that ..... "Today's historians assume that Snorre's sagas are not historical facts when it comes to the kings living before 11th century, therefore his link to his ancestors has been deleted"

Take notice where Remi writes !!! "historians assume".... If His "Highness", Remi Tryggve Pedersen had a scholarly- or an academic background or slightest professional work ethics,he would submit citations or references to peer-reviewed articles to suport his statement. Instead he submits unfounded assumptions with NO references to sources for the statements he makes in such an unprofessional manner as he does. in fact I call his attitude bullying and am astounded over why Geni allows such unprofessional work practices. And yes Remi, if you read this, do report me - please do and I will then for sure have my opportunity to provide my arguments.

11/27/2021 at 3:34 PM

Anna, why should I report you? Just because you don't bow before "His Highness"? :-)

You are entitled to your beliefs. If you want to see what the historians have written about this subject, then look up the articles written since 1990 in for instance "Historisk Tidsskrift" and "Collegium medievale" by Claus Krag, Therese Holt Hansen, Birgit Sawyer, Sverre Bagge, Olafia Einarsdottir among others and the books about these persons and this time by Torgrim Titlestad, Øystein Morten and Tore Skeie among others.

You could also read all the other discussions about this topic on Geni where I have contributed and mentioned some of the historians.

But, Private User you need to discuss this with the historians mentioned, I have mentioned a few but there are more, you can find them if you search for articles about this topic. I have during the last years read their articles and the profiles on Geni reflects what their opinions are. So, when todays viking and medeival historians say that Snorre Sturlasson's saga about the Norwegian kings and their ancestry before Olav Haraldson and Olav Tryggvason are untrustworthy, the World Family Tree on Geni should reflect this. There are several historians saying Snorre is untrustworthy and Snorre is only one person, so the majorituy opinion of the historians should win that argument.

Feel free to prove the historians wrong, but the burden of proof is in your neighborhood.

11/28/2021 at 6:08 AM

Thank you for your valuable work keeping the world tree factual Remi Trygve Pedersen!

11/28/2021 at 7:49 AM

For me, in my opinion, most of this is for entertainment purposes, until it can be verified as actual and historic, which I hope, at some point, these GENI profiles will become historically more accurate. We are all working toward using genetics and the discovery of more historic data to get closer and closer.

Private User
2/11/2022 at 4:17 PM

Remi Trygve Pedersen I'm not going to argue with you. Historians on Medieval research are to me no more reliable sources than the old academics who did the preliminary research on the manuscripts and other sources. Historians tend to rewrite the History to make a name for themselves. Also historians are absolutely not scientists. And I recall that back in the "old days" here on Geni there was a an agreement to leave the original sources unchanged until science proves otherwise. But note also all the comments or references that have come to light in recent times that are unproven, aka the the hypotheses your historians present in their writings and you do not seem to understand that they are merely working with their own hypotheses, not pure proven facts. To me, this is a professional practice.

You instead, make changes to the profiles on Geni at your own discretion without even bothering to mention the sources you claim to base your changes on. Providing references to authors, book/article or pages seems to be something you do not even grasp that if someone is to take you seriously is mandatory on your behalf. You only mention that "historians assume" something. Do you even understand the meaning of the word "assumption or assume"?. Have you even asked your self or the historians you use for your excuses and you constantly refer to, want you even to quote them in the manner you do? I for one sure wouldn't.

And yes, you are one of the most unprofessional persons I have come across ever.

2/11/2022 at 11:15 PM

Historians work with two things. Theories. Those are the ones that they can not prove, but perhaps hope they can with sources but they are not validated. -- So when someone assumes something or theorise on something, it is a theory, not facts. Some theories go in completely opposite directions of each other. This means that changing a profile after that notion will give extreme problems.
Facts are what can be proven with sources, archaeology and similar. Sometimes that fits with theories. Other times and very often they do not.

Therefore the best way of dealing with these profiles would be to say what the sources say even if contradicting but leave the bloodline mentioned in those sources. SOmetimes that contradict too.

That cannot be helpt. I would say then go after the one that is most often mentioned but leave a note with the contradicting line, or cut the line, as we have done with Gorm the Old and HarthaKnud, his father, and state what the sources say.

As Anna States, medieval sources can be very unsure and also very contradicting.

Private User
2/12/2022 at 2:38 AM

And then we have it I do not have much to add to what Anette Guldager Boye says in her comment. Fortunately, based on medieval sources, which Remi Trygve Pedersen does not want to acknowledge, scientists and academics are constantly working on proving and disproving what has been written before. But while that work has not been completed, it is, of course, a requirement that we collect and respect the data from the past that are considered sources from the Middle Ages. And how can we research the past if we do what Remi Trygve Pedersen does when he throws out all the clues that are in the sources from the old Manuscripts and thereby tries to hide medieval research data from those who have the ability and skills to research such sources. Thank you Anette for your objective and informative answer.

2/27/2022 at 7:57 PM

Remi has again changed the profile and locked it. What sources does he have to make this decision? I want Remi to source credible academic sources and proof that the saga was incorrect. Since he has changed the profile and disconnected the burden of proof is on Remi. Hmmm has this decision anything to do with Remis own private business where he is earning money on his genealogy business? And what credentials does said Remi have as a scholar? What has he published and what academic degrees does he have?

2/28/2022 at 3:17 PM

Guðbjörn Ívar Kjartansson you could start by reading "Historisk tidsskrift, bind 2-3, 2002 from page 381", the interesting part where the historians view is shown starts at the bottom of page 385 and on page 386 it is written (translated from Norwegian):

"Furthermore, the contemporary material otherwise indicates that Harald Sigurdsson claimed the Norwegian kingdom as his brother's successor, and not as a member of an obscure family collective and descendant of the first Harald. The line from Harald Hårfagre through his alleged son Sigurd Rise and down to Sigurd Syr is also extremely obscure. (The lovestory between Harald Hårfagre and Snøfrid, mother of Sigurd Rise, is one of the obvious fairytales in Harald's story.)"

There are several articles from viking age historians from 1989 up till today that say the same thing if you just want to look for them. So these historians think that the so called facts (in your opinion) in the sagas are incorrect in these matters. Maybe you should get hold of a resume from the 20th Nordic Meeeting of Historians held at Reykjavik in 1987 to find similar information.

I have shown my sources in several discussions about this here on Geni, Guðbjörn Ívar, you should try to look them up. So the burden of proof that Halvdan Sigurdsson was a son of Sigurd Rise and he again was a son of Harald Hårfagre is on you. And sources written 200-300 years after the persons lifetime isn't good enough. They are only secondary sources at best, probably more like tertiary sources. On top of that you should also knbow about Snorre Sturlasson's agenda when he wrote his sagas and that must be taken in to account.

Why are you bringing my small genealogical private business in to this? Do you even know what I do and what I help people with?

I don't have any credentilas or academic degrees in history, but I do in geneaology. And I have read most of the articles written by these historians during the last 20 years. What have you done to enlighten yourself in these matter?

Private User
3/1/2022 at 1:39 AM

I have been studying the Sámi experiences of racism and otherness in the Nordic countries for quite a few years and I am taking part in one study even now, I am not at all surprised that someone has called a fairly normal relationship between a Sámi woman and a "royal" afterwards - just a fairy tale.

At that time, of course, the Sámi were no less inferior than the other tribes around them, and the Norwegians were not more "royal" then, nor were the Swedes or Finns.

the long history of the Sámi in repatriation and the theft, taxation and separation of their lands from the rest of the surrounding culture is a long subject. Yet it is precisely this kind of reflection in which history is made as fairy tale, that is likely to perpetuate old racial doctrines that still live strong in the Nordic countries and are open to open debate.

After all, many Finns, Swedes and Norwegians have had another family with a Sámi woman in the north, which was known but a taboo. This continued for hundreds of years. The situation and the unspoken things are still so outrageous taboos that it takes a long time to disseminate them. This is not helped by religion either, nor by the feelings of shame that many Sámi still suffer from.

Private User
3/1/2022 at 1:40 AM

Guðbjörn Ívar Kjartansson totally agree with you here.

Private User
3/1/2022 at 1:46 AM

I noticed that there are few discussions going on about the same issue.

I posted this today: This is totally absurd. King Halvdan "The Gray" Sigurdsson ALL the lines are cut to his ancestors, based on what?

When you think about how much research, material, articles can be found in sagas, the huge burden of proof shifts to Remi. And what does it say in the profile now? Just a light note that SOME "historians" (Who, where, what, why?)_ assume_ (assume, really?) that ... (without any source).

There have been discussions before and there have been other curators who did not approve Remis thought of cutting lines like that, what have changed? Or has he just cut them without notifying the other curators or Geni community? That conversation has gone unnoticed by me anyway.

If the sagas are not accepted as source of any kind, then there is a huge amount of historical material in Geni that could be lost at the same time.

All the ties to Bible and many other religious texts for example can easily be cut as they are not primary source, but recordings of the memories of others? And instead of listing hard sources and tons of research - just leave slight shy note, that some historians assume that politics has also influenced them, so let's REMOVE all ancestry. If one has an obsession, then this idea is easy to reach into whatever texts; almost any data over 700 years old can be deleted at the same time and for same reasons. Biblical and all the religious or other texts etc.

There must be consistency.

This must be stopped. One person cannot do this kind of "vandalism" here.

No more space should be given to erase history from Nordic countries. As a descendant of the Sámi, Kven people, sagas mean a lot to me in many ways. As a descendant of the Sámi in the recent past, there are unpleasant memories of racialization in recent history.

Massive racial research has been conducted here in the Nordic countries, still happening at the 1970s, Aldur W. Eriksson: Human Adabtability - in addition to the measurements, genealogical studies were also carried out to examine racial purity - the subject has been a silent taboo. Our family also still expect to get back the skulls of ancestors, that were stolen from the graves for shameful racial research not so long ago.

Remi has had obsession towards our famous Sami ancestor Snøfrid Svåsesdotter and her spouse Harald I "Fairhair", king of Norway
for a long time now. I find it very offensive that our ancestors bloodlines connecting to her, are removed just like that, especially when most of Sámi are not known to history books. She is not mentioned just breefly somewhere, but in many different sagas. She is described in both Heimskringla and Ágrip, and she is mentioned in Orkneyinga saga. She is a Sami woman and is according to the sagas, the ancestor of Harald Hardrada. With the exception of Ragnhild the Mighty, she is the only wife of Harald Fairhair mentioned by name outside of Heimskringla. Now by one curator, the whole ancestry is deleted from her to Harald III "Hard ruler", king of Norway Just because obsession of one person. And without anything to back his opinions.

One person without any help from any scholar cannot make moves like that.

Private User
3/6/2022 at 6:49 AM

Private User Thank you for your input to this discussion! Several years ago, after a whole lot of discussion, there was an agreement as you say to keep in the old registrations but from a research point of view, state if new and confirmed and CITED information came to light. Also name the sources that these new information's contain. It's not enough to throw in the discussion names like Remi Tryggve Pedersen does, that no one has heard of and then he also quotes books that usually is no way to get a hold of to read. Trust me - I for one have googled some of the books he has pointed out and they do not seem to be accessible to the public. He also omits to point out the page numbers that his "alleged" sources contain. And most of the sources he is quoting, if they exist, are written in Norwegian as well (and how many can read Norwegian ?). He seems also in denial of the fact that there exist at least a dozen other genealogical bases that are not in line with what he is claiming to be the "correct" info's.

I'm also seriously considering his intentions, that is, whether he's using his facilities here at Geni for his own self-interest, since he is a representative of two genealogy service company's in Norway. That is, whether he is changing the records of Geni to make people believe that he is the one and nobody else who has the "correct" information's on Nordic genealogy. He seems to be listed as the owner (innehaver) of a officially listed genealogy firm called "Slægt og Genealogy" and is also listed as a "Contact person" at "Slekt og Data Kongsberg" as you can see for your self by viewing this link: https://proff.no/rolle/remi-trygve-pedersen/kongsberg/1221902/

Private User
3/6/2022 at 11:12 AM

I agree with you, Remi has acted wrongly, he has not started a discussion, he base his opinion on sources that are not cited, but according to him claims that the line is invented, who does that?

Quote exactly what they say, bring up the evidence that they have, if other experts don't agrre, bring them up with names and quotes why they disagree.

In my opinion, Remi has acted wrongfully, he is also biased against this line and have time after time showed this in various threads. In reality, when Harald Fairhair brought Norway under one rule, the chance that the following kings after him in Norway would be related to him actually increases, not the opposite, it's common logic and after a couple of generations, they all would be.

3/6/2022 at 4:29 PM

Thank you, Anna Kristin, for advertising for my sole proprietorships that I use for my professional genealaogy. I use that oneman company for transcribing documents written in Gothic that a lot of amateur genealogists have a hard time to read and to do genealogical research for people willing to pay others to do the research for them. Don't you have those in Iceland, I know Sweden does, and I guess Ulf knows who Ted Rosvall is who do the same as I do in Sweden and also have his own one man company for doing his genealogy for money. This, Anna Kristin, is required by law since it is illegal to get paid for doing genealogical research without telling the tax authorities that you earn money by doing this.

The organisation "Slekt og Data" is a genealogical organisation just as your Ættfræðifélagið is https://aett.is/ You can read more about "Slekt og Data" at this site: https://www.slektogdata.no/nb/english/about-genealogy-society-norway I was the founder of the local group if this society here in Kongsberg back in 1999 and held a position on the board up til 2007. At the moment I'm only a doing cources for the member by being one of the instrictors. In the main part of the society I'm the leader of the group of society members that transcribes churchbooks so they get published on the internet at the Digital Archive's platform. All this is unpaid and voluntary work. Now, maybe your worries can be calmed somewhat down , now that you know that none of my two positions mentioned at proff.no that Anna Kristin links to has nothing to do with history as far back as Harald Fairhair.

Anna Kristin also criticizes that the articles and books I use as sources are written in Norwegian. Well, Ann Kristin, I am Norwegian, Harald Fairhair was Norwegian, and most historians writing about him are Norwegians. No wonder most of it is in Norwegian. It is not my problem that you can not read Norwegian. I use a translation tool when trying to read Icelandic, why can't you when the text is in Norwegian. (By the way ther are 5.4 million Norwegians, and there are only approx. 340000 Icelanders, so how many can read Icelandic? And how serious is that question of yours at all?) What other genealogical databases say is in fact uninteresting unless they are up to date on the historical research. What is interesting though is what the viking historians are saying in the last couple of decades. Now, you go and find out what the viking historians and archeologists have found out during the last 30 years about this, and you will probably find an overwhelming opinion of what I write compared to what you write.

Private User
3/8/2022 at 7:02 PM

Remi Trygve Pedersen of course I can read Norwegian, how else would I have found you in the company listings? And as for the research of the Viking Age you mention, I point out to you that there are endless new researches done by archaeologists that confirm that the old manuscripts and the oral Sagas, not the modern historians, have been giving the correct information’s on that period. You can shout or argue as you please - but it will not change the reality that these are facts.

You would be surprised if you knew how many people read Old Norse to their advantage and are interested in Gammel Norsk. Then how could you know that your own old mother tongue, Gammel Norsk, is quite different from modern Icelandic just as modern Norwegian is nothing like Gammel Norsk (Old Norse). Besides – the old Manuscript’s have more or less been translated over to English, which is a bit more professional than the Norwegian books you are referring to. And please stop talking down to people like you do in your answer to me. Your attempt to belittle me and my Nation completely failed you.

Some years ago an agreement was reached on how the registrations on Geni would be. You do not respect anything of what was decided. And I stand by what I have said before - there is nothing theoretical or professional about your work and behavior here on Geni. On the contrary, you show a complete disrespect for other members here at Geni and their work (as can be seen in your answer here above). You should read what Ulf Martinson writes here above and try to recall what standards were set on if comments were made on the Geni listings or different information's or sources where available or emerged.

You don't even seem to understand the purpose of the job here at Geni. I don't know why I bother to try to make you understand facts such as if we destroy the investigative value of the records by deleting what others have recorded according to their sources, then how can a credible DNA or other scientific research been carried out or other research threads or leads be tested? Idiomatic practice that you practice Remi and does nothing but harm the remarkable work done here at Geni. And Remi - that really pisses me of. The work here on Geni evolves about genealogy and the origin, not you or other members.

Private User thanks for your input and I don't have anything more to add to what you say cause in a nutshell it's precisely what was agreed upon.

3/8/2022 at 9:12 PM

I have just been scanning through this discussion and am amazed at the parallels between my Nordic lines with my Native American lines. Seems like similar tensions between oral tradition and racial issues regarding genealogy. Just an observation from an interested (and invested) bystander as I don't know, but wish I did more to contribute.

3/8/2022 at 9:17 PM

Private User så du er en natterangler, du også :-)

The latest agreement among the curators and Geni admin is that all profiles considered mythological are not to be linked to living people. We curators work towards this goal. For persons living before 1350, that means that when and whereever a profile's ancestor changes from having reliable sources to not having reliable sources it also changes to be a mythological person. For the Norwegian kings before the Danes took over the kingship, This means that the lines becomes mythological at King Sverre (ca. 1151 - 1202) that claimed to be a son of Sigurd Munn, but really was a son of Unas Kammakare on Faroe Islands, when using only Norwegian lines. And it becomes mythological at the fathers Olav Haraldsson and Olav Tryggvasson. It is not possible to verify any lines back to Harald Fairhair, So what ever you think, feel or believe, it is not possible, and if you still believe that it is possible, please show the trustworthy sources for a line back to Harald Fairhair.

The purpose on Geni, as in every other genealogical database, is to have trustworthy familytree, not one of wishfull thinking.

The mythological ancestry of Harald Fairhair is still on Geni, but as with every other mythological tree on Geni, we work to not having any mythological person connected to any living person.

Private User
3/8/2022 at 10:00 PM

I agree with Susanne Floyd - on and off the grid that the parallels and arguments for oral traditions are cogent and should not be brushed aside without further consideration.
If the historians are only as yet "unsure" or "assume", it would be better to at least acknowledge oral traditions which have been replete throughout peoples and their histories for thousands of years. As Seneca, we rely upon oral traditions for our history. Our clan mothers teach the name of each clan member to the next clan mother and so on. Sachems, tribal chiefs or medicine men are designated to pass our history and ancestors down orally. If you have no written language or are forced to "unlearn" your language or culture, you're going to want that oral tradition which has been passed word for word from one generation to the next. Ask any Native American if they trust their tribe's oral tradition or the white missionary's written account of Native Americans; 100% they will reply "our tribe's oral tradition".

Private User
3/9/2022 at 1:41 PM

Remi wrote
"The latest agreement among the curators and Geni admin is that all profiles considered mythological are not to be linked to living people."

And why shall you alone decide over when a profile is mythological?

The problem seems to be the sagas, the name saga is = släktkrönika = genealogy, not a fantastic story. Many of the kings in the sagas is also mentioned in other contemporary text around Europe, that if anything, should only point in one direction, that they actually existed.

Nevertheless, we still use the word, "sagokungar" for the kings mentioned in the saga's. Unfortunately, it seems that some grown up people belive that this actually means fairytales kings and as a consequence, don't take it serious.

There is also the problem understanding the oral tradition used by skalds, where they used metre and also rhyme to remember stories, but also could just recite names followed by names. It's a long training not suitable for anyone and the best stodd second to the king in social status and any scandinavian king worth his named, had invited skalds, they stayed, lived with them, documented, and passed it over to the next one.

The oral tradition was ongoing for several hundreds of years, before some people took and wrote it down, it's a misconception that it shouldn't be viewed as contemporary.

When it comes to the swedish saga kings, Langfeðgatal describes them correct page 57.
(Norways king on page 55) (Denmarks kings page 56)
http://www.septentrionalia.net/etexts/alfraedi3.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langfe%C3%B0gatal

3/9/2022 at 6:37 PM

Ulf, I'm not deciding when a profile is mythological, but I read what most of todays historians that are knowledgable about this have written. You all should do the same. They say pretty exact where they draw the line between mythological and historical.

3/9/2022 at 8:23 PM

Both of you ( or all of you) should read the article by professor in archeology Bjørn Myhre called "Før Viken ble Norge". It is attached to this project as a document: https://www.geni.com/projects/Scandinavian-sagas/18 and you can find it linked here: https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000091552052821 It's long, 232 pages, but a lot of it is interesesting. It's about the burialmounds in Borre, Vestfold. Most interesting from a genealogical and historical view are chapters 13 and 14.

And it is ofcourse again written in Norwegian.

Have fun.

Private User
3/10/2022 at 12:42 PM

As I wrote before, read
"When it comes to the swedish saga kings, Langfeðgatal describes them correct page 57.
(Norways king on page 55) (Denmarks kings page 56)."

There is the most correct list of the kings and how they are connected.

The kings are all decendants from Sigurd Ring, the father of Ragnar Lodbroke.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigurd_Ring

First we had the Scandinavian Sviones, mentioned 100 A.D.They in turned later dived into danes and svear around 400. The danes defeated the Herules in part of Denmark and Skåne, in the Scandinavia there were many petty kings, they controlled places, the boarders between them was not defined as what we today have, they were more floating, constantly changing depending on who controlled that area. The hugh area was sometimes called Reidgotaland, the riding goths land.

It spanned from the black sea, across todays Ukraine, Poland, most of the Baltic states, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Netherland, England, it had many trade centers along the way as well as fixed places controlling routes by sea or rivers, of which many later become villages, town and cities, often but not always planned by danes. One of the earlier kings trying to controll most of it was Ivar Vidfamne.See map
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivar_Vidfamne#/media/File:Ivar.png

There is only one family in the vikingage, big enough to take the power from all the rest if the petty kings, the sons of Ragnar, dividing between them Denmark, Sweden, Norway, a project that continued with his children and grandchildren until the states of these 3 kingdoms was established more or less as we see them today. They have acted like todays oligarchs, keept the power within the families by killing or buying off their competitors, and passed in on to their owns offsprings. We have today not only the various sagas describing it, or other contemporary text written by historians or munks, we also have the archeological proof for how this have evolved over the last 1500 years.

By comparing different sources, we can rule out both minor and mayor errors, and we can determine what would be remaining facts. All evidence point in one direction, one family took it all, divided it between them and as a result of this, we have 3 neighbouring countries sharing the same past. That´s why, we can't stare us blind on only one source, as you do Remi, we have to sort out the facts from the fiction, not judge the whole as a fiction just becuase it contains errors.

3/10/2022 at 10:38 PM

Why do you think I have used only one source?

"We have today not only the various sagas describing it, or other contemporary text written by historians or munks...." The sagas nor any other text written by historians or munks are contemporary to the timeperiod they depict before late 12th century.

"..... we also have the archeological proof for how this have evolved over the last 1500 years." I see you haven't read much of the article by professor Bjørn Myhre. To bad, you would have learned a lot.

Ragnar, if he ever existed, is a conglomerate of many person that prabably had a name that sounded like Ragnar. No evidense of his existence exist, and if you have one, please show it to us. I would like to present it to the historians.

Noone disputes the general history of the Nordic countries in the first milennia, just who ruled, their names and their relationships are disputed if they are presented as facts. Even th english wiki-article you link to call Ivar Vidfamne semi-legendary, that should say enough. If you need more, you can start reading this english wiki-article about the legendary kings of Sweden, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_legendary_kings_of_Sweden, please read carefully the beginning of the chapter Historicity.

Sorry to say, but no academics believe Sigurd Ring is more real than they think Ragnar is, but no one stops you from believing it. But the legendary kings will not be connected to likving people today on Geni. Like it or not. But they are not removed or deleted, just not connected to living people.

Private User
3/11/2022 at 12:40 PM

I'm sorry Remi, you stand alone with you views. We know that Ragnar Lodbrok at some stage have been mixed up with another Ragnar who lived 2-3 generations later, unless the first Ragnar became 90-100 years old, we understand this, and by doing that, we can correct it and still use him in the line, all we have to do is to write a notice about it.

Today we have much better means than the people long before us, to actually looking back on or dealing with past events or situations. The sagas works as guidelines, but it is only when we evaluated them in a wholeness we can sort out and make sence of what's likely true or not.

The chronology can also be corrected in some cases by using other sources than just icelandic sagas, like Adam of Bremen and Saxo Grammaticus, but again only by analyzing them against each other to rule out any bias or actual errors, combined with other sources, like archelogical findings that support one text or content/information over the other. It is a fact that many of the profile you disconnect, instead would be possible to connect to living people of today.

Legendary kings might actual be legendary because of that simple fact, that they existed.

Showing all 30 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion