William Hubbard - Date of death

Started by Mark Stein on Thursday, December 2, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 4 posts
12/2/2021 at 2:54 PM

Depending on the source, there are three different dates. How is the correct one determined?

Private User
12/2/2021 at 3:16 PM

As with many Connecticut families, we ought to be trusting Donald Lines Jacobus as the authority in this case. In his Families of Old Fairfield, he cites a will he found for Hubbard dated 10 October 1702. The inventory was taken that same day.

The 1684 alternative was proposed by Alvan Talcott in the 1800s, attributed to records in the Guilford town clerk's office. But such a record has never been produced to my knowledge, and there's no reason why the Guilford clerk would have the record instead of the Greenwich clerk. Edward Warren Day picked up on Talcott's research and repeated it, but didn't present the sources himself.

Private User
12/2/2021 at 3:28 PM

I should add that part of how we know that's the correct William Hubbard -- the one from the 1702 Greenwich will -- is that the executor of the will was Jacob Patchen, identified in the will as the wife of William's daughter Mary. And we know that this William's daughter Mary was indeed married to a Jacob Patchen.

Of note, Jacobus wasn't certain that William had married the former Mrs. Catherine Austin, but he thought it was likely enough to include it in his history.

Also, I was wrong above: I had the inventory taken the same day in my notes, but in looking at the actual book, it was inventoried 7 November 1702. So William's date of death is between 10 October 1702 and 7 November 1702.

I'm about to eat dinner but will clean up this area after I'm done. Thanks for bringing it up.

Private User
12/2/2021 at 5:23 PM

Okay, date of death has been corrected to show the range; "About" has been redone, with citation; immediate family conflicts have been solved.

I'm not convinced that he died in Greenwich, however...his will identifies him as "of Fairfield," so I'm wondering about the story there. I see other researchers saying the will Jacobus found was from Greenwich, but in checking the book, nope, it just says "of Fairfield."

The First Congregational Church of Greenwich says there were "probably" burials at Tomac Burying Ground prior to 1718, which suggests they don't have actual records of any. Our source seems to be FindAGrave, which uses the 1684 death date, so maybe not the best source.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion