Anna CARLSON (LIPPKIN) - English vs Finnish/Swedish Name

Started by Private User on Thursday, December 30, 2021
Showing all 14 posts
Private User
12/30/2021 at 5:30 PM

I was told be a DNA match that according to a cousin of hers, that Ann Lippkin was a Kurikka. Can anyone help with this? I can not seem to find anyone remotely close.

12/30/2021 at 7:20 PM

Can you reword your query as it is not at all clear what you are asking.

Are you suggesting that Anna's maiden name was actually Kurikka not Lippkin?

Did Anna ever migrate to US? On your MyHeritage Family Tree you have linked a 1900 census which suggest you believe she did. You've also listed an alias of Elizabeth Kurikka which is very different.

I read your post again and realise that someone with a set of DNA results that are a "match" for you has a second hand family verbal account of Anna being a Kurikka. Is that where the name Elizabeth also comes from?

12/30/2021 at 7:27 PM

The Anna Carlson in the 1900 census immigrated to US in 1888.
Your Anna's son, Harold, immigrated in 1905 and then his wife in 1906.
The 1905/1906 pattern looks typical but 1888/1905 looks very wrong, I would be very suspicious that the 1900 census couple in not the parents of Harold.

12/30/2021 at 7:36 PM

Even if Anna's maiden name was Kurikka you are unlikely to find any US records that would include that name.

Some jurisdictions record the parents' full names on marriage records but as Harold married in Sweden ...

Harold's death record lists his mother's name as Anna Lippkin. The informant is Paul Carlson, presumably the eldest son of Harold and Anna, so are you suggesting Paul didn't know his own grandmother's name? Or more to the point that he got it wrong.

Private User
12/31/2021 at 10:35 AM

I must first apologize: My discussion should have read "I was told by a DNA match....."

Alex Moes: No on the immigration. We were always told that Anna and Charles did NOT immigrate. However, I have a different DNA match that says that Anna and Charles DID immigrate. The only location of the names Charles Carlson and Anna Lippkin come from their sons death certificate.

I will double check on the 1900 census and information, thank you.

I am trying to find a connection to Anna Lippkin and a surname of Kurikka. The Kurikka came from a different DNA connection (different than the DNA connection that says Charles Carlson DID come to the U.S.) in which her cousin told me that Anna Lippkin is a surname of Kurikka.

I am not sure where the names on Harold's death certificate came from other than Paul. Paul was indeed a son (brother to my grandfather, Elmer Carlson).

Yes, other than the information I have provided I have only to ASSUME that when Anna Lippkin came to the U.S. that her name changed or that her and Charles married in Sweden then came to the U.S. I have gone through ALL of our family papers and have nothing farther than what I have posted.

On Ancestry I have used the connection to the Charles that I was given, but, here on GENI I have not. Geni is my "only accurate" information place. I am also on MyHeritage and have been gaining information there, more so in the verification than new information.

12/31/2021 at 4:56 PM

I've seen Finland listed as Anna's place of birth, one thing that perhaps we need to bear in mind is that Finland did not gain independence from Sweden until 1917.

Kurikka happens to be the name of a town in western Finland, as we have Harry's exact DOB we may be able to find him in Finnish records. Failing that maybe we can find some Lippkin records in Kurikka.

Private User
1/1/2022 at 1:43 AM

@Alex Moes

Three checkpoints of Finlands history

Finland was made a titular Grand Duchy in 1581, when King Johan III of Sweden, who as a prince had been the Duke of Finland 

the signing of the Treaty of Fredrikshamn on 17 September 1809, Finland became a true autonomous Grand Duchy 

in 1812, the Finnish-born Gustaf Mauritz Armfelt became a counsellor to the Russian Emperor.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustaf_Mauritz_Armfelt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Duchy_of_Finland'''
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Civil_War

1/1/2022 at 4:01 AM

Apologies, I remembered 1917 just got the wrong foreign power.

1/1/2022 at 8:16 PM
1/1/2022 at 8:17 PM
1/1/2022 at 8:53 PM

Private User

You have added parents and siblings to Harold's father,
Karl Johan Carlson where is the evidence that son/brother of these people is the same person as the father of Harold?

The profile currently shows:
Birth: 12 November 1858
Sweden
Death: 1918 (59-60)
Gothenburg, Dawson, Nebraska, USA

The death in Nebraska looks very odd compared to Harold settling in PA.

1/1/2022 at 9:43 PM

On https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/30274194/carl-j-carlson there is a Carl J. Carlson
BIRTH 12 Nov 1862
DEATH 23 Oct 1918 (aged 55)
BURIAL
Gothenburg Cemetery
Gothenburg, Dawson County, Nebraska, USA

Which would look like the source of the death date on your Carl, there are quite a few Carlsons buried in Gothenberg.
Gothenberg Carl (d1918) is found with his wife Selma in the 1910 census with children born in Wyoming: https://www.myheritage.com/research/record-10132-49391224/carl-c-ca...
In the 1900 US census we find him in Wyoming with an earlier wife named Elizabeth: https://www.myheritage.com/research/record-10131-128703068/charles-...
Also in the 1900 census we see that Carl/Charles immigrated in 1880 so cannot be father of Harold (b1886/7 in Sweden).

Private User
1/2/2022 at 6:13 AM

I have a spin on this Carlson or Remsujeff surname. I can NOT figure out how to attach a couple photos so, in my Grandfather's (Harold T Carlson) profile I am going to add two photos for your review. They are titled "Carlson birthday list via Elizabeth" and "Carlson birthday list via Elizabeth Zoomed on Carlson". As you can see in the photo, which is scanned, you can see a change in the Carlson name and there is remnants of some hand writing that used to be there.

2/23/2023 at 5:25 AM

Lipkin and Remsujett are names I met in North-Western Russia, in what the Arkhangesk area, maybe it is Karelia now, I am not sure. Anyway, I met this name related to each other somehow in the Kem ujezd on the Western side of the White Sea.

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion