Shmuel Abraham Wahl, of Kremnitz - Are These New Katzenellenbogens Legit?

Started by Private User on today
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 5 posts
Private User
Today at 8:01 AM

Claudia Bullock Can you please see if this new line of Katzenellenbogens rings true to you? Everyone except Aryeh Leyb Wahl on the descending tree is a new addition, with lots of descending lines from there. Only asking about the top level (descendants of Shmuel Wahl of Kremnitz), and in particular Isaac Constantine Wahl Katzenellenbogen.

Today at 11:23 AM

Private User,

Adam, for starters, it appears that the problem began with this merge, and that the merge will need to be un-done:

https://www.geni.com/merge/view?revision_id=81539898960

I think that the two men are different. Although they may have appeared to be married to the same woman named Olga, it seems that there are 2 different women with similar names who often get confused with each other. The MP for the one who died 4/30/1594 was this one:
Abigail Ogla Katzenellenbogen who as you can see was actually married to Rabbi Shmuel Yehuda Katzenellenbogen, MaHaShik and NOT to Shmuel Abraham Wahl, of Kremnitz

That said, none of the children you asked about (i.e. Isaac Constantine Wahl Katzenellenbogen and his siblings) were children of Rabbi Shmuel Yehuda Katzenellenbogen, MaHaShik

With regard to Isaac Constantine Wahl Katzenellenbogen, in particular, I have just now searched the index of all 6 volumes of "The Unbroken Chain", and I could not find anyone at all who has Constantine as any part of their name. So, I do not know who the correct parents would be for Isaac Constantine Wahl Katzenellenbogen and his siblings, or how they would have gotten the name Katzenellenbogen.

It seems to me that the person who added the profiles for Isaac Constantine Wahl Katzenellenbogen and his siblings, Gary Michael Katz may be able to shed further light on this matter, as he has included birth and death dates, and perhaps could provide us with additional information regarding his sources.

Kevin Lawrence Hanit and Randy Schoenberg, I want to bring this to your attention.

Claudia

Today at 12:26 PM

Private User

Claudia Bullock

About two years ago I tried to find the identity of the parents of:
Abigail Ogla Katzenellenbogen

The only thing I found that most likely she is from the jaffe family, but I could not verify that she is the daughter of
Rabbi Mordechai Jaffe, Ba׳al "Halevushim"
She's certainly the wife of
Rabbi Shmuel Yehuda Katzenellenbogen, MaHaShik

Private User
Today at 12:31 PM

Claudia Bullock Many thanks, you're the best!

So even if the Olka Wahl submitted by Gary Katz were to be given the correct Katzenellenbogen spouse, there is no evidence of all those Katzenllenbogen offspring from her. I merely wanted to confirm that all those added K-bogen's are not independently confirmable via your exceptional work, indicating that more proof must be requested before merging any of these profiles into existing trees. Given their unreliable state, If their proponents are unwilling or unable to provide supporting evidence then mergers of their data need to be blocked. The problem apparently is that due to a bulk upload there are myriad possible merger points, many of which are not blocked and seem to be legitimate on their face. Randy is aware of this and I believe is attempting to resolve in a comprehensive way. I have no gripes with people putting their unsubstantiated trees on GENI, but there is a problem when these trees can be merged with other trees that are based on hard-won historical evidence, because if they can be merged then someone sooner or later is going to merge them (GENI's law!). I believe there is away to isolate trees so they cannot be merged, and your analysis plus the failure to proffer makes that a necessity in this situation.

Today at 1:07 PM

Private User,

I would agree with you that bulk uploads of trees can be problematic. FWIW, my personal preference would be that uploads of GEDCOMs to Geni not be allowed at all. When I first joined, they were not allowed. I added to Geni, branch by branch, and only when I had additional information to add, since many of the people in my family tree were already in Geni. In fact, I always warn friends against doing uploads of large trees by GEDCOM, because of the problems inherent in the process.

Claudia

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion