Nathaniel Dunham - Dunham families of Massachusetts

Started by Erica Howton on yesterday
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 7 posts
yesterday at 6:28 PM

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Dunham-231

NOTICE: Two Nathaniel Dunham Families in 1690 Massachusetts: This one headed by Nathaniel and Mary (Tilson) Dunham in Plymouth; the second, herein, headed by Nathaniel and Mary (LNUnk) Dunham of Wrentham, Massachusetts and later in Hebron, Connecticut.

please do not reassign spouses ***
To maintain sanity:
- Nathaniel I, II and III refer to descendants of Joseph Dunham (1637-1703)
- Nathaniel Sr and Nathaniel Jr refer to the family in Wrentham and Hebron whose earlier ancestry is uncertain.
- Nathaniel Dunham (1698-1779) son of (Samuel 3-2, John 1) [TAG 62:9]
- So there we have it, three men named Nathaniel Dunham living in 1692 and 1700 in Plymouth and Wrentham, Massachusetts Bay Colony. [TAG 62:1]

yesterday at 8:35 PM

There is an article written about six men named Nathaniel Dunham in Colonial America.

Nathaniel Dunham, of the Plymouth Colony

yesterday at 9:41 PM

I was not able to undo merge well enough. I’m sorry!

So ended up creating a new Mary Dunham & Nathaniel Dunham, Sr., of Wrentham & Hebron and moving the children to the correct parent pair.

If anyone wants profile management, please request management via the options menu so we don’t get conflated again. It “had” been correct on geni a few years back.

yesterday at 10:43 PM

Dean Richard Hobart - thank you for uploading

Deacon John Dunham 1589-1669 The American Genealogist Vol 30-1954 Pg 143-155
https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000197455975837

I just checked the Y DNA tree on Geni, and the tester is a descendant of Lemuel Dunham & Mary Dunham

So our tree is looking good.

Today at 12:29 AM

Even better - an explanation of the Dunham / Denham name confusion.

http://www.dunham-singletary.org/mw/images/c/cb/Newsletter-Vol_XV-1...

Another look at all existing records for Thomas Dunham is documented below by developing a time line for Rev. Thomas Dunham/Denham and showing a strong probability that he was the son of Deacon John Dunham, and that he did marry and have children. One of these children was Nathaniel Dunham “of Wrentham, MA and Hebron, CT.” Note that the spelling of the surname Dunham/Denham was not unusual at the time as there was no standard system of spelling. Thomas spelled his name both ways in the same document when he wrote his will in 1688.

Today at 1:51 AM

In other words, the current thinking is that Rev. Thomas Denham & Rev. Thomas Dunham were the same person - the son of Dea. John Dunham, of the Plymouth Colony & Susanna Dunham

Bccording to Robert Charles Anderson,"The Great Migration Begins", published by NEHGS, Rev. John Dunham never married.

According to DNA test result analysis in 2018, he did marry and have children:

Editor’s Corner

http://www.dunham-singletary.org/mw/images/c/cb/Newsletter-Vol_XV-1...

The New Year brings continued correction and documentation about some of the Dunham families whose genealogical ancestry has not yet been proven. Sometimes I receive information that is entirely new to me, such as the Dunham line which was the subject of the October 2017 newsletter. Sometimes it is necessary to take another look at a genealogical situation that has been written about in the past.

The advent of DNA testing has helped to gain new understanding of certain Dunham lines that were previously thought to belong to independent Dunham families. Ever since 1953 when Mrs. Florence Barclay and 1959 when Mr. George McCracken wrote articles in The American Genealogist (TAG), the Dunham/Denham line descending from Rev. Thomas Dunham, minister of Rye and Bedford, New York was thought not to be connected to Deacon John Dunham of Plymouth.

A few years ago Bruce W. Dunham participated in DNA analysis and the results of that test showed him to be a match to the descendants of Deacon John Dunham. A second man, Peter C. Dunham, who was tested years ago and has the exact same line of descent through the first ten generations provides a control of the results. A third man, Thomas W. Dunham, also descends from Rev. Thomas Dunham and his results match. Another man whose genealogical facts are the same as those of Bruce and Peter C. Dunham, but who has not yet taken the DNA test, provides the opportunity for double checking that these lines all match the descendants of Deacon John Dunham of Plymouth.

Since Thomas moved around a good deal, and since he sometimes spelled his name Denham, it was previously thought that he was not the son of Deacon John Dunham. It has been only recently, and with the aid of DNA test results plus standard genealogical research, that we have been able to prove his lineage. Thus it is with great confidence that we know that Thomas Dunham of Rye and Bedford, NY was indeed the son of Deacon John Dunham of Plymouth.

Should we merge?

Today at 1:54 AM

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Dunham/?iframe=ydnacolor Does not show Nathaniel’s as a separate line. It’s all Dea. John Dunham, of the Plymouth Colony at I-M253

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion