Proposal for a new system of curators for Historical Profiles

Started by Pam Wilson (on hiatus) on Sunday, January 10, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 56 posts
1/10/2010 at 10:09 AM

The following was posted in the Geni Forum at http://forum.geni.com/topic.php?id=58161
Your ideas and input are invited, either through the Forum or here. This is the culmination of an initial discussion between Private User, Erin Ishimoticha, Flemming Allan Funch, Angus Wood-Salomon, Pam Wilson (on hiatus), David Lee Kaleita, Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn / שמואל-אהרן קם (קאן and Private User. We would like broader input!

Many of us who have been active in trying to create a common, shared family tree of ancestors who lived prior to about 1600 (often nicknamed "the Big Tree") are feeling the need to develop a new system to help turn this into a collaborative knowledge database that is historically accurate and can be of educational value, like a genealogical encyclopedia. To do this, we feel that we need a slightly different system to help rein in some of the chaos that ensues with dozens (or hundreds) of duplicate versions of historical profiles floating about. We've begun this process informally through our merging efforts, but what we need now is the ability to create designated "master profiles" for each historical persona to which new users who are descendants can link.

To maintain and ensure the informational accuracy of these profiles, and to logistically handle the tasks, we propose the development of a team of "Curators of Historical Profiles." These would be volunteers, not paid Geni staff, and the team would share responsibility for gathering input and solidifying the Historical Profiles (HP's) and for approving any new changes once a profile has been published as an HP.

Those of us who are active in the Big Tree see a lot of the same problems that are obstacles for Geni to be the perfect genealogy site and tool we want:
* There is too much chaos in the “old parts” Big Tree
* There is a need to lock old (historical) profiles for new information/editing
* Most newly added profiles for people born before 1600 offer nothing new
* We need an incentive for people to connect to the Big tree/common parts instead of adding their own (minimal) version

For some ideas about how this might work, based upon discussions among a dozen or so of us over the months, see below. We welcome further input into this proposal.

Curators should be responsible for all profiles of Historical People in the Big Tree. There should be a special category of such profiles:

A: We need to define which profiles have Curators:
HP = Historical Profiles for Historical People
HPs should be:
1. without Managers and owned by Geni, to get over that whole thing of it being MY profile or YOURS
2. maintained by Curators, who would be volunteers for the collective good
3. in conflict situations, Geni should be the final authority
4. the Historical Tree consisting of HPs should be an incentive for everybody to join with Historical Profiles, rather than protecting their own versions
5. the HPs should be obviously "better", so that one doesn't give up something (control) by joining with the historical tree, but rather gains a lot
6. HPs should include things like
a) full formatting tools (BBCode, textile or similar)
b) integration with YouTube (instead of Upload Videos - imagine some great film clips accessible from the profile)
c) Flickr/Photobucket integration (to not have to download then upload internet photos)
d) auto-integration of the Wikipedia-text in one section of the profile - a separate tab perhaps
7. The Completed Historical Tree could be packaged as an educational resource for non-Geni members

8. Historical Profiles (HPs) should be defined as
a) all People born before 1600
b) those born between 1600-1800 having reached 15 managers or more
c) approved as HP by special group of Curators and Geni staff
(These may be special profiles that are not technically 'Historical', like modern royalty and celebrities, and on rare occasions also minors like the children of royalty - must for each case be approved by Geni staff or a number of Curators)

9. HP categories:
a) Published HP
- designated with distinctive graphic style and format (see above)
- content except Basic Fields (Names, Dates, Places) editable by any Geni user, but will be monitored by the curators and reversed if necessary
- a few of these profiles will be marked as "Locked" and will have
-- the content is only editable by a Curator
-- any Geni user can suggest edits or additions to the profile, and these suggestions will be sent to the curators for approval ("Suggest edit" instead of "Save"-button possible)
- all users can suggest changes etc on the profile Discussion page

b) Provisional HP Geni Profiles
- fall into the criteria for HP profiles because of their dates and/or their relationships to other HP Profiles
- information has not yet been adequately posted and they are still "under construction"
- editable by all Users, open to collaborative input until a Curator determines that the profile is ready to become publishable
- a Curator may click a "Publish this HP" link to submit it to the Geni staff to be converted into a Category a) Published HP

Most profiles will this way be open for edits and suggestions by all Geni Users, while at the same time the (few) very vulnerable ones will be locked for edits.

B: Tools we need in either case:
1. reversible edits (Wikipedia-style): All changes can be reversed to previous edition through a one-click Undo
2. Curator/moderator approval for some changes/edits
3. ability to block users who abuse the system (maybe two Curators should be "needed") from editing

C: Who could be a Curator?
1. Nominations/recommendations by other Curators and Users
2. Active Users who are approved by Geni – ID verified, having no serious complaints etc
3. Having special skills and interests in a particular branch or area of the Historical Tree with Historical Profiles (HP)
4. Must have been an Active User for a year, be very active and spend a minimum time on Geni every month (average of some sort, people will be on and off at times, breaks must be allowed)
5. Independent of Pro or not, but needs a secure way of identification for the non-Pros
6. Should be given all tools Pro Users have
7. Should keep maintaining certain HPs in areas according to their interests and skills, but no real limitation

Other points about how it should work:
9. Curators should/could have a special tab on their profile or a Curator page with list of "Areas of skills, knowledge and interests"
10. Curators should be given authority to edit/delete improper posts in Discussions linked to HPs

D: What is a Curator?
Qualifications and "job description" could be:
1. critical thinking, research and problem-solving skills; ability to organize, structure and critically analyze genealogical and historical information within its larger historical context
2. research skills: willingness and ability to seek out the most definitive sources and to be open to various interpretations of sometimes-conflicting data
3. ability and willingness to represent Geni and to communicate diplomatically and respectfully with Geni users
4. ability and willingness to work collaboratively, to negotiate through controversies, and to work for the good of the whole rather than serving individual interests

1/10/2010 at 10:19 AM

As one of the group that put together this proposal I would like to stress the fact that what we are proposing is a Team of Curators that although they will have their own areas of expertise, one curator won't be responsible for a small group of profiles. It will be a team effort.
I wonder also if the two categories of Historical Profile are quite clear enough. Perhaps we need other people to comment on this.

1/10/2010 at 10:21 AM

Sorry your name got left off of Bjorn's list, Terry!

Well I'll just tag Terry now. :-) Here you go, Terry Jackson (Switzer).

Private User
1/10/2010 at 12:18 PM

Dear Pam,

I think this is an excellent idea. It is high time we developed a more integrated method for dealing with early profiles, some of which are historically extremely well known. I for one have wasted too much time already undoing other members' errors, in cases where even a quick Google search would have given a clear and correct answer.

Best wishes,

Bob Turner

Private User
1/10/2010 at 1:02 PM

Some good thought and work has gone into this proposal. I would love to be a curator for some of the English nobility. Keep up the good work.

Janet

1/10/2010 at 4:59 PM

Speaking as someone with some experience of similar setups on Wikipedia:

Yes, I think this is the right direction to go in.

One additional qualification that Curators need to have: The ability to work cooperatively with others.
We can have the world's leading expert on 1400s Sicilian nobility here (picking a random example) - and it will do us *no good* if the result of having him on board is that we spend more time fighting than editing.

I like the idea of curators being chosen by the users based on experience with interacting with them. We also need a way to throw out curators that prove themselves unable to cooperate with others.

Go for it!

1/10/2010 at 6:16 PM

As a manager/owner of some of the older profiles, I think this is a great proposal. It's often difficult to confidently accept some merge requests due to the lack of info in one of the profiles.

Good job by the team that put this proposal together. I hope Geni is receptive.

Private User
1/11/2010 at 6:57 AM

Sounds great. I know I would be one of the ones who has accidentally linked to the Big Tree and Bjorn Brox courteously asked that I change living ancestors from the 1600s to deceased ancestors.

Private User
1/11/2010 at 10:57 AM

I love this idea for the simple fact that I will not be getting loads of requests to merge profiles. Secondly, the idea that there will be.... comprehensive information on Historical figures would make everyone's life a bit easier. My only concern is the takeover of a line that only attaches to me and maybe a few other people. I can not imagine someone liking an EXPERT coming in and futzing around with the fruits of their labor. Outside of that I think it is a great idea and I say GO RIGHT AHEAD.

1/11/2010 at 11:32 AM

Noah Tutak@Noah & @mike It is interesting, is it not what a positive response this proposal is receiving so far?

Private User
1/11/2010 at 11:37 AM

@Arthur (AJ): This line you're mentioning, will that be people born before 1600?

When suggesting the "boundaries" for this common Historical Tree with only Historical Profiles, we guessed that for people born before 1600 there will almost always be many many users who connect to them - thus more useful if we share One high-quality instead of hundreds of duplicates for the same people, with hardly any info.

There could of course be special cases where the cut-off point would be set at an earlier date.

Private User
1/11/2010 at 11:37 AM

Very positive proposal that merits our support. Key is to have a working group that takes a non-partisan approach with an eye towards historic accuracy. The group could be established with set terms and volunteers could rotate through as persons come forward with desired experience and resources.

Private User
1/11/2010 at 11:56 AM

I would like to add my voice in supporting this proposal. Currently so much time is spent merging together multiple historical profiles and trying to clean up the tree - this time would be better spent on original research to add to the tree. Just think - no more unanswered merge requests, blocked profiles and 600-year-old zombies. Fantastic!

1/11/2010 at 8:30 PM

I agree as well, the time has come.

Private User
1/11/2010 at 9:32 PM

Good - this addresses some of the concerns I have had. I do not know why you have chosen "persons born before 1600" as a group. I would have chosen perhaps "persons who migrated to America before 1640" as a set, and perhaps some other set as well defined by specific parameters. The objective as I see it is to simplify and clarify the material that is gathered for these sets of people, and make it possible for additional material to find its way to the history because of this process of simplification and clarification. I would be interested in being part of such an effort. Lois Dean Courtney.

Private User
1/11/2010 at 10:01 PM

This is a thoughtful and elegant solution to the current mess of historical mis-merges! I would be very happy to hand over management of historical figures to those with the knowledge and patience to sort through it all, in order to focus on the parts of the tree I enjoy and have expertise in.

1/11/2010 at 11:16 PM

)Pam,

I like yho7urf 0prfo0p7usa9l, verfyh m7ucyh
!

1/12/2010 at 5:30 AM

Thanks, Lucia! @Lois and @Arthur: We are working primarily on the European aristocracy (and their ancestors) when we get to around 1600 and before. Very few of us on Geni have done original or primary research on these ancestors--most all of it comes from the peerages and other published sources which have often been rehashed. Very few people contribute any new information when they upload thse older branches of their family tree, but rather, they just upload what they have copied from the internet or from older genealogies. And most of these are shared--very few of us have distinct lines, since in most cases the only families in Europe for whom genealogical records were maintained prior to about 1600 were the nobility, and these were a few dozen families who married in with each other, in general.

NOTE: Most of the Geni users involved in this project are those descended from European roots. I am not familiar enough with Asian, African or indigenous genealogical research to know if there are records stretching back more than 400-500 years for these families or whether they are represented on Geni.

1/12/2010 at 1:30 PM

I think the ideas in this proposal have a lot of merit, and I appreciate the time that has gone into this well thought out proposal. I like the idea of have moderators or curators. I would make these Geni Pro's who have been selected by an existing curator. To make this a self policing community, we could have curators lose their privileges if, say, 2 or 3 curators mark them as problematic.

I like the idea of a curator being able to mark a profile as a master profile, and then only other curators would be able to edit or merge this profile.

This seems like a good follow up to the new privacy rules I have proposed in the forum (http://forum.geni.com/topic.php?id=58211)

I'll continue to monitor this discussion, I'm curious to hear more from each of you.

Noah, I'm curious why you would limit this to the smaller subset of your user base, namely only the Pros.

Is this due to being able to ID people? That's easily solved.
Is it because this would make the coding easier? That's also solvable - make them Pros, you could even make them long term "trial Pros" if you're worried they'll take the prize and run.

The net value gain for Geni would certainly justify the minor costs. We're talking about a group with a few dozen people at most. Never mind that most candidates are already Pro.

1/12/2010 at 3:42 PM

@Shmuel, whereas I can fully appreciate the need for the Curators to have all the PRO tools and the need for numbers of curators may well mean a need to use non-Pro's and I don't have a problem with the next bit I can empathise that Noah et al will have to consider this in their decision making process. The catch is that Pro Curator A has paid his PRO dues and becomes a curator and does his/her fair share of work and then finds out that Curator B who does similar or even less work has PRO tools but has never had to pay for them, he/she may well be disenchanted. I repeat that I would be fine with you and any other volunteer Curator having PRO tools but I can imagine this might be the argument against.

1/12/2010 at 3:46 PM

Shmuel-Aharon Kam (Kahn / שמואל-אהרן קם (קאן I'm surprised that you think this will be a few dozen people at most. I was thinking of a much larger group, easily growing into the hundreds, if not more.

I'm thinking about two things: First, Pro users have access to some advanced tools, such as tree matches, that will help them in their efforts to curate the tree. In the future we plan on offering additional Pro only tools, such as bulk merging tools, that will be useful for curators. Second, there was mention of giving all curators access to Pro only tools. My idea is just reversing this.

1/12/2010 at 3:47 PM

Also what Terry Jackson (Switzer) said :-)

Noah having NO idea how large your user-base actually is, non-Pro, Pro, non-active, active or VERY active, or how many active forum members for that matter. I can't really say.

What I DO know is what goes on in the "merge group". Both group discussions combined (public: http://www.geni.com/discussions/6000000007138855554 and family: http://www.geni.com/discussions/6000000006801299750 ), have 93 participants (and that's being VERY generous, ignoring the very heavy overlap). Many of these are "requesters", doing few merges themselves. I'm pretty sure that the number of "power users" that is NOT part of this group is pretty small, because sooner or later you HAVE to bump into the profiles managed by these managers.

So while we MAY need hundreds of curators, I strongly doubt you will FIND them. Personally, I think "hundreds" will be unmanageable and NOT be that much an improvement over the present situation.

Terry,
we all know that the sheer amount of work involved merging the historical lines or being a curator, is WAY beyond that which the VAST majority of users (Pro or non) is likely to ever do. People take this job upon themselves because they WANT to do it. So I strongly doubt they'll be "disenchanted" so easily. Do Wikipedia moderators bean-count what the others do to "deserve" this status? I strongly doubt it. They too have tools specific to this "rank".

Also I think that people could imply from what you said, that people would pay their Pro fee, IN ORDER to become Curators. Is that really healthy for the system? Shouldn't it be based on merit alone?

1/12/2010 at 5:58 PM

Noah Tutak Thank you so much for your affirming feedback. I look forward to hearing more of your ideas as to have Geni might actually be able to implement this plan. It seems to be getting positive responses from 95% of the people who have commented here and on the Forum.

I think the questions about numbers will work themselves out and are not worth arguing about. I suggest that you see how many people desire to be curators. I do think the core group of mergers (to which Shmuel refers, which are on the Merge Groups 6 Public Discussion, for example, as well as another core group hiding in the woodwork who have previously been active but are not as public now--Kris Stewart comes to mind) will be fewer than 100 active at any given time, but I think this group's composition will ebb and flow during any given month so that probably no more than a couple of dozen will be *actively* working as curators even though many more may in fact be approved.

As to the question of Pro or not--well, it seems to be that there is a bit of an identity crisis going on right now within the Geni community as to exactly what the differences are between Pro and non-Pro users and the benefits and privileges of Pro status. I think that's something that you and your staff need to carefully consider and clarify (perhaps better than it's clarified now, since lots of Pros seem to be questioning whether they should continue to pay). As for myself, I joined Geni not to get special benefits but merely to throw my financial support behind the great work (and the potential) that Geni does and has. It's a contribution to the cause, to make sure Geni stays afloat. Because there's nothing else out there quite like this. And I am so appreciative of the fact that the CEO of Geni is willing to listen to his users and allow us to help shape this into an even better, user-defined system. Thank you.

1/12/2010 at 6:42 PM

I became Pro to be able to search for three different branches of our relatives and I was fortunate it to find them.

Since becoming Pro and seeing the potential of a site like this, I too have decided to remain Pro so that I can offer my financial assistance, as little as it seems, to help grow this product.

Keep up the great work guys.

1/18/2010 at 12:48 PM

Latest comment from Noah regarding this proposal:
"@PINKLE We will make the changes to collaborators first, and then the conversion of profiles to public and private and implement the new privacy rules. I don't see any of the curators proposal happening before these changes. "

Well folks, get out your wading boots, because the septic tank is about to burst.

Showing 1-30 of 56 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion