Started by Vance Barrett Mathis on Sunday, June 13, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 12 posts
6/13/2010 at 4:48 PM

While working with merge request, I noticed issues with the following profile:
John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster, 1st Earl of Richmond

A profiler, maybe more than one, has given John of Gaunt three different fathers. If someone is interested in cleaning up this profile and the trees associated with it, his father was King Edward III of England.

I went to to three, but it is such a convoluted mess that I wouldn't know where to start to correct it.

Vance Mathis

6/13/2010 at 4:50 PM

Correction in post: I meant to say that I went to the TREE. . . . and did not know where to start to correct it.

Private User
6/13/2010 at 5:14 PM

he is shown as king edward lll's son on king edwards tree.but- there are a lot of king edward's managers that need to read your post. or .....
we could start notifying them. no time at the moment to do that for me.

6/13/2010 at 5:42 PM

I cleaned some of this up my un-merging several obviously wrong Johns.

Unfortunately, the way Geni merging currently works, it only takes one person to add an incorrect profile to a merge stack to plant the seeds for a giant mess with scores of wrong profiles merged together. This is because the Tree matches don't just show the main profile in the stack- it considers them as still being seperate. Once a wrong one sneaks in there, then people can start merging other profiles that match THAT OTHER profile- no longer comparing to the original/main one in the stack. That's why you'll often see lots of correct profiles in a stack, and then several wrong ones in a row (that match each other, but not the main profile), followed by several more correct ones.

Private User
6/13/2010 at 5:49 PM

i notified a few of them before geni went into hyperspace......will do more later.
something like 92 matches.

6/13/2010 at 9:40 PM

I am not sure if I'm one of those that caused the confusion. If you come across my name, please know I will fix it immediately.

6/13/2010 at 9:40 PM

I am not sure if I'm one of those that caused the confusion. If you come across my name, please know I will fix it immediately.

Private User
6/13/2010 at 10:40 PM

no confusion, just duplicates of the same duke of lancaster-john gaunt. merge merge merge please.

6/14/2010 at 3:58 AM

Sorry- I have a typo in my message above. The first sentence should read: "I cleaned some of this up BY un-merging several obviously wrong Johns."

None of the pending merges were mine. But LOTS were wrong.

Private User
6/14/2010 at 6:53 AM

I have tried many times to look at his tree, but keep getting an error message.

6/14/2010 at 7:07 AM

Lynette, you should report your problem to help@geni.com.

6/14/2010 at 1:49 PM

I tried to do some merging... but some of the profiles were locked and some said "cannot merge spouse/partner." I'll try again later, too.

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion