Richard Warren's wives

Started by Noah Tutak on Monday, August 2, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 24 posts
8/2/2010 at 5:19 PM

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I see three wives attached to various profiles for Richard. Are these all the same Richard?

Richard Warren, "Mayflower" Passenger married to Elizabeth Warren

8/2/2010 at 6:37 PM

I don't have an answer yet? other things keep cropping up and I haven't been able to get into that research.

Private User
8/2/2010 at 7:26 PM

What is the source of the theory that Richard had three different wives, all named Elizabeth?????

Private User
8/2/2010 at 7:47 PM

Noah Tutak
And there are even more different Elizabeths in the hot matches!

There are no sources cited on Richard + Elizabeth March or on Richard + Elizabeth Jouatt. The first Richard you give us has several sources cited. All the sources agree he married an Elizabeth. Wikipedia (yes, I know what is said about Wiki's reliability) gives her name as Elizabeth Walker. Other sources say we will probably never know her true ancestry.

I'm no Mayflower expert. Most of my family came through Virginia or Philadelphia. I will accept whatever decision the group agrees upon.

8/2/2010 at 9:09 PM

I guess I should merge the Richard's, and then we can deal with the Elizabeth's after the fact.

8/2/2010 at 10:17 PM

I'm just going to use some logic here. Cited on Richard Warren's profile:

"His wife's maiden name was Elizabeth Walker, the daughter of Augustine Walker of Great Amwell, Hertford; she was baptised 1583 in Baldock, Hertfordshire, England, died October 2, 1673.[3] She and his first five children, all daughters, came to America in the ship Anne in 1623. Once in America, they then had two sons before Richard's death in 1628."

Since Elizabeth Walker outlived Richard Warren, one would think any other wives lived and died in England before immigration. However, all of the wives Elizabeth carry the same birth and death dates (1583-1673), how's that for coincidence. And oddly enough, both Elizabeth Walker and Elizabeth March emigrated on the ship "Anne" in 1623.

Now the extra wives Elizabeth managed to doubly (or is it triply) mother only Abigail Snow. Wisely they stayed away from birthing the other six well documented siblings ... or this explains why Abigail Snow has a half sister? Elizabeth Church.

I will see if I can find any documentation on Elizabeth Jouatt, who seems like a real person, got mixed in somehow. I believe Elizabeth Warren might be a total ringer that could be merged into oblivion as she has no parents.

Getting closer to being a Mayflower descendant! Gone from 6th cousin to 5th. I'll get there. :)

Private User
8/2/2010 at 11:47 PM

Erica Howton
You are far more Mayflower than me -- Richard Warren (Mayflower Pilgrim) is your first cousin 17 times removed's wife's son. --my roots are Quaker, not Pilgrim. Once the tangle is sorted out, we will have to check the relationships again and see if we got closer.

8/2/2010 at 11:55 PM

I made it to first cousin something? Cool beans.

But I have to tell you -- I was far more excited to geni-find the Quakers in my tree than the Puritans. In fact there's someone I'd like to disown. (Can I do that?) Wrong side of the Salem witch trials <shudder>.

8/3/2010 at 1:32 AM

Noah Tutak

I think I figured it out. Elizabeth Jouatt was married to John Warren, who came to America in 1630, not Richard Warren.

U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900
about John Warren
Name: John Warren
Birth Place: Co
Birth Year: 1580
Spouse Name: Elizabeth Jouatt
Number Pages: 1

Source Citation: Source number: 2159.000; Source type: Electronic Database; Number of Pages: 1; Submitter Code: GRG.

Here's her whole history (for what accuracy it's worth) ....

Elizabeth IVATT JAUNEATT Jouatt
Birth: Abt. 1584 <, Nayland, Suffolk, England>
Death: 12 Oct 1673
Burial: 24 Oct 1673
Father: John JONATT
John Jonatt
Mother: Mary STRINGER married Abt 1852
Mary Lombard

Married 1st:
John WARREN marriage: Abt 1605, Of Cornwall, England
Unknown Profile

Married 2nd:
MARSH (MARCH) Birth: Abt 1570 (Nayland, Suffolk, England)
or Marsh March

Married 3rd:
Juat PRATT Birth: Abt 1883 <, England>
Juat Pratt?

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, "Family Group Record: Elizabeth Jouett" in FamilySearch Ancestral File, at http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=af/... (accessed 3 August 2010). Elizabeth Jouett 1583.

8/3/2010 at 1:37 AM

"Mother: Mary STRINGER married Abt 1852 " ... that's my typo. Date should be 1582.

8/3/2010 at 2:01 AM

And duh ... Elizabeth Warren and Elizabeth Warren are the same person, as Elizabeth Jouatt became a Marsh by her second marriage.

Private User
8/3/2010 at 2:29 PM

Erica Howton
Girl, you are GOOD! Thanks for figuring it out.

8/3/2010 at 2:48 PM

Excellent work! Now to make the tree reflect all of this...

8/3/2010 at 3:08 PM

Noah,

Thank you for your kind words. Can't you just have a DBA fix it at the command line? :)

Maria,

Thank you. You are a good teacher!

Best
Erica

You are a

1/29/2013 at 3:46 PM

Sorry to re-open an old topic, however, I was just looking at this discussion for the first time today. Erica Howton

In your post about Elizabeth Jouatt, you have her parents as John Jonatt and Mary Stringer, married about 1582 (corrected for the typo you caught too late).

My tree, Richard Warren and Elizabeth Warren (Walker) are my 10th great-grandparents, shows, after someone merged profiles or added profiles for Elizabeth's parents (I went only so far as Richard and Elizabeth), the parents of Elizabeth Walker as Augustine Walker and Mary Stringer and a birth date for Mary Stringer as about 1582. This birth date for Mary Stringer would make her a candidate as a step-mother to Elizabeth Walker.

I looked at a listed source about Augustine Walker. According to this listed source, a marriage of Augustine Walker and a Mary Stringer is recorded in 1597. That could be consistent with a birth in 1582. Again however, that would not be consistent with being the mother of Elizabeth Warren (Walker), born about 1583, but perhaps as a step-mother. A marriage about 1582 would be consistent with being Elizabeth Warren (Walker)'s mother, but that is the marriage date you give for the marriage of a Mary Stringer and John Jonatt.

It is also curious that the name of Mary Stringer would show up as the mother of Elizabeth Warren (Walker), wife of Richard Warren and as the mother of Elizabeth Warren (Jouatt), wife of John Warren, III.

Two (2) different Mary Stringers?

Once again, my apologies for re-opening an old discussion.

1/29/2013 at 6:25 PM

It's always good to revisit, no need for apology at all. I like your suggestion of a step mother relationship. I'm also wondering what the Mayflower Society or any descendant lineage groups might think.

Private User
8/7/2013 at 11:08 PM

http://bigelowsociety.com/rod/john1.htm
These are the correct children and wives of John Warrene who came over on the Arabella of the Winthrop Fleet. He is the father in law of John Bigelow. He signed his will with the "e".

Private User
8/9/2013 at 2:46 AM

John Warren
Here is another alternative John Warren.

Private User
4/4/2014 at 1:43 PM

Erica Howton , somehow I have been cut off from John Warren who is my 9th great grandfather (proven by DAR records). Can you correct this as soon as possible? You have completely broken me off my tree.

Private User
4/4/2014 at 1:44 PM

Erica Howton , somehow I have been cut off from John Warren who is my 9th great grandfather (proven by DAR records). Can you correct this as soon as possible? You have completely broken me off my tree.

Private User
4/4/2014 at 1:44 PM

4/4/2014 at 1:47 PM

Oh dear - do you have dates / spouse for this John Warren? I'll look around also.

Private User
4/4/2014 at 2:18 PM

My J9th GGF ohn is THE only John Warren of Watertown who came on the Arabella with Gov. Winthrop and the Earl of Lincoln's daughter and her husband. Daughter Mary Warren married John Bigelow.. Geni may be having a "hiccup"......

4/4/2014 at 2:53 PM

John Warren, of Watertown

Pamela Bigelow Johnson is John Warren, of Boston's 9th great granddaughter.

http://www.geni.com/path/John+Warren+of+Boston+is+related+to+Pamela...

Found! There is however dome merging needed for duplicates of daughter Mary (Warren) Bigelow, could have been the issue. I'll post back when that is completed.

Showing all 24 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion