United Kingdom

Started by Joseph Frederick Strausman on Friday, September 10, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 12 posts
9/10/2010 at 12:10 PM

I would like to address this problem because some people might not realize this. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland didn't form until April 12, 1922. The reason I am saying this is because tons of people, when working on ancestors from England, Scotland, Wales, and the Republic of Ireland, put their locations as the UK. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland formed January 1, 1801 and the Kingdom of Great Britain started May 1, 1707, the latter consisted of England and Scotland.

Private User
9/10/2010 at 12:17 PM

Hello, Joseph!
Yes, this incorrect data really bugs me. I think the reason this happens is because the computer program requires, say, London, England, to automatically be in the U.K. It's tricky to get the data correct.
Good luck!
Kitty Milloy, San Diego, CA

Private User
9/10/2010 at 12:51 PM

You get it correct if you fill in the correct fields.

Please try the Edit Location Details the next time.

9/10/2010 at 1:17 PM

UK = GB + NI obviously formed after Ireland's secession. Was there a name for the entity consisting of England, Wales, Scotland and the whole of Ireland?

9/10/2010 at 3:56 PM

I think you'll find that people who use software that has mapping, make data fit in differant ways

I.E. A person born in Austrasia in say the year 600 AD

if you put it into my program as the Old Kingdom of Austrasia the program will alow it but of course when mapping it will map it as Australia (wromg side of the world)

To get it to map it right (or mostly right), you have to enter it as The Old Kingdom of Austrasia, Belgum. Although Belgum may not have been the actual area, the software will map it more-or-less in the middle of That Kingdom.

The same kind of thing happens with GB (the software places it in Palistine) and many other old countries (many of the old soviet countries do even odder things)

Untill the writers of Genealogy software start to add in the old kingdoms etc, people will continue to "correct" the software by inputing that incorectly.

To work with the softwre for London, something like "London, London, England, GB, UK would have to be input.

The only thing I can suggest is if you find one, Correct it on Geni, but be prepared for someone who uploads from another program to get it wrong and find out what software they're using and ask then to write thier software companies to help get historical maps into wide use in Genealogy.

Private User
9/10/2010 at 4:12 PM

Geni are using Google Map as a HELPER application if you are lazy and use the simple location field and that is of course only working for areas of today.

If you click on the "> Edit Location Details" below the field you can fill in whatever values you want without any automatic lookup or correction.

9/10/2010 at 7:08 PM

@ Harald, yes it was the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. And @ Bjørn, yes thank you for putting that up; I don't think some people realize that you can do this.

9/11/2010 at 1:26 AM

So, for someone in London, his country should be:
- Pre 1707: England
- 1707 to 1801: Great Britain
- 1801 to 1922: United Kingdom (defined to include Ireland)
- 1922 to today: United Kingdom (defined to exclude the Republic of Ireland)

But it's never completely incorrect to say "country = England" either.
Right?

Countries are great fun!

Private User
9/11/2010 at 2:40 AM

What are people living for example in England and Scotland using them self when they want to describe where they live?

I doubt they use United Kingdom even if that is the official name.

9/11/2010 at 4:43 AM

I dunno, I do hear them say "the UK" a lot. But I'll leave it to inhabitants of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland to supply more information.

9/11/2010 at 6:16 AM

You do know that for most European Countries, to be totaly correct you would haave to add a ", EU" after the location since they're a part of the European Union!
So lets stop at saying England, Scotland or Ireland or you'l get everyone trying to get things "just" right and the whole Tree will have to be re-written.. and by the way the last person I talked to that had an English accent refered to him self as a "Brit" once and a "bloody limey" several times. He might agree he's from "Britton" but I don't think putting in "Limey Land" would work (by the way he was in the Marines, not the Navy)

9/12/2010 at 1:58 PM

Well the European Union didn't start until much more recently. Don't know the exact dates off the top of my head.

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion