Signers of the Declaration of Independence

Started by Private User on Tuesday, October 5, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 213 posts

I've started a Wiki page to list all of the Master Profiles for the Signers of the Declaration of Independence.
http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Signers_of_the_Declaration_of_Indepe...

This is the third in a series of what I'm calling Notable Profiles. The first two are:
US Presidents and Vice Presidents - http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/US_Presidents
Mayflower Passengers - http://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Mayflower_Passengers

We need to establish Master Profiles (MP's) for each of the signers and to clean up the profiles and their families. We need help! Everyone is welcome to help in any way they can. Merging, discussing, editing the wiki...

Comments or suggestions welcome!

Brendan,
I have MP for George Walton, signer from Georgia. Here is the link.
George Walton, Signer of the "Declaration of Independence"

This is a great idea. Thank you for getting it started.

First MP added! Thanks Maria

Should we put Signer of "Declaration of Independence" in the "display name" field, like we did for the "Mayflower" Passengers?

Arthur Middleton, signer from South Carolina, MP here:

Arthur Middleton, Signer of “the Declaration of Independence”

Abraham Clark, signer from New Jersey, MP here:

Abraham Clark, Sr., signer; Declaration of Independence

I like it. That will make the profiles easier to search. I added those two.

Of course some signers already have listings on the notables pages and MPs created:)

Thomas Jefferson, 3rd President of the United States of America

John Adams, 2nd President of the USA

Edward Rutledge, signer from South Carolina, MP here:

Gov. Edward Rutledge, Signer of the "Declaration of Independence"

General biographical link for the Wiki:

http://genealogytrails.com/main/biosdeclare.html

All added. Wasn't even paying attention to the names :)

More general links:

Descendants of Signers of the Declaration of Independence
http://www.dsdi1776.com/

membership page:
http://www.dsdi1776.com/Membership/membership1.htm

Steal this info directly for the Wiki:

Only 15 of the 56 signers have male descendants today.

These Signers have no descendants: William Whipple, John Hancock, Samuel Huntington, James Smith, James Wilson, Caesar Rodney, George Wythe, Francis Lightfoot Lee, Joseph Hewes, Thomas Lynch, Jr. Button Gwinnett, Lyman Hall, and George Walton.

These Signers have no same surname (male) descendants: Josiah Bartlett, Matthew Thornton, Samuel Adams, Elbridge Gerry, William Williams, William Floyd, Francis Lewis, Robert Morris, Benjamin Rush, Benjamin Franklin, George Clymer, George Taylor, George Ross, Thomas McKean, Samuel Chase, Thomas Stone, Thomas Jefferson, William Hooper and John Penn.

These Signers have very doubtful same surname (male) descendants: Stephen Hopkins, William Ellery, Oliver Wolcott, John Witherspoon, Abraham Clark, John Morton, Carter Braxton, Edward Rutledge.

The remainder of the Signers are known to have same surname (male) descendants.

I have had wayyyyy too much fun playing at this site:

Interactive John Trumbull's “Declaration of Independence”.

On this page you will find an interactive version of John Trumbull's famous painting, "Declaration of Independence". John Trumbull's "Declaration of Independence" painting is one of the oldest and most prominent elements of Americana. It is exhibited in the Capitol Rotunda in Washington, DC. It is also depicted on the back of the $2 bill.

http://www.quiz-tree.com/Declaration-of-Independence-Trumbull.html

Great!

I'll help work on this too.

Kim,

It's already a great project. Less tangles. Welcome aboard.

:-)

Sorry, couldn't resist:

John Adams, 2nd President of the USA is Erica Isabel Howton's 7th cousin 6 times removed!

Awesome page, thanks Brendan...and helpers!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Matlack

Col. Matlack was Jefferson's scribe, and the DOOI is written in his hand. This is not a master profile, because it's a very WEAK stub. But here it is....

Although not a signer, surely he belongs here.

Wiki updated:

Added Benjamin Franklin, Gov. Samuel Adams (thanks Erica)

Added a Scribe section for Timothy Matlack (thanks Janet)

Added Other Information that Erica provided

Put Kim and Janet as project members

@Erica Isabel Howton John Adams is my 11th cousin 4 times removed through the Johnsons and Underwoods.

Hmmm @ didn't work.

I am somehow related to John Adam's as well, but I haven't paid the Pro fee to find out how yet.

Erica: this is what I get when I click on your profile... hi cuz!!! Erica Isabel Howton is your 10th great grandfather's wife's nephew's wife's great grandfather's wife's fifth cousin 13 times removed.

The @ with name doesn't work once you put a space, so I end up never using it. Right click on Erica's name and click copy link location. Then, past (CTRL-V) to put the whole url in. The url will be changed to her name.

Hmm... the link I gave you was to wikipedia.

I was trying to link to Col. Matlack's profile. Trying again.

Col. Timothy Matlack, Scribe of the "Declaration of Independence"

and here's the link for one of the New Jersey signers:

Richard Stockton, Signer of "The Declaration of Independence"

Anita,
Erica and I are 16th cousins once removed, and you and I are 14th cousins once removed.

As far as signers go, I'm amazed at how many I am related to. Haven't looked at all of them, but here's what I know.

I started with George Walton. He's my most distant relative so far -- George Walton is my fourth great uncle's first cousin twice removed's wife's brother.
Benjamin Franklin, Signer of the "Declaration of Independence" is my 9th cousin 6 times removed.
Thomas Jefferson, 3rd President of the USA is my 10th cousin 6 times removed.
John Adams, 2nd President of the USA is my 12th cousin five times removed.

And, since you can't but I can ------
Anita Boynton is John Adams, 2nd President of the USA's third cousin 8 times removed.

Janet, I added both to the wiki. Could you make them MP's?

Maria, you and I are 14th cousins. :)
Erica Isabel Howton is your 15th cousin twice removed.
Janet Palo-Jackson is your 11th cousin once removed.
Hatte Anne Blejer is your 11th cousin once removed
Anita Marie Boynton is your 12th cousin once removed
Kim Odenweller is your 12th cousin once removed.

Crazy, you're all my cousins!

Also:
John Adams, 2nd President of the USA is your 11th cousin 6 times removed.
Thomas Jefferson, 3rd President of the USA is your 10th cousin four times removed.
Benjamin Franklin, Signer of the "Declaration of Independence" is your 11th cousin 6 times removed.

Didn't know I was related to Adams. That makes 34 presidents that are my cousins. No kidding. It's in the about me on my profile :)

Why does the name Matlack sound so familiar? Is that the guy in the National Treasure movies who started the whole family mystery?

Thank you Maria, for posting that...too cool. And way cool we are all related. Wouldn't that be some family reunion!!! Maybe we CAN get together .... in Plymouth in 10 years....???

Cool Brendan...34!

I went through the Presidents again. Found a couple missing from the wiki and a mistake, so I'm glad I did it.

Since the tree has gotten cleaner and I am related to Adams, I went through the remaining 9 Presidents again. All but 2 are cousins. I'm not related to Woodrow Wilson (he was married to a cousin) and I'm not related to Buchanan.

By the way, look at this crazy connection to Buchanan
James Buchanan, 15th President of the USA is your first cousin 15 times removed's husband's sister's husband's second great nephew's wife's great uncle

41 of the 43 Presidents are cousins! Yet only one family from the Mayflower. Can't wait to see what's in store with the Signers!

Hello cousins!

I'm related to the Adams in a number of ways, as well as to (former) First Lady Louisa Catherine Johnson Adams.

I've not added all of my family info yet (some has unfortunately been lost and needs to be found again).

Anyway, we're all probably cousins in multiple ways.

:-)

I think I am going to have to get Pro.... :(

Anita, you won't regret it. Go Pro as soon as it fits your budget.

Showing 1-30 of 213 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion