Salem Witch Trials: Colonial America in 1692 Project

Started by Erica Howton on Wednesday, October 13, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 91-120 of 258 posts

The Mayflower project has come to a screeching halt because I have no permissions outside of the profiles that I had created and the ones that my collaborators merge. This is a cool project too.

I haven't loaded enough up to the project, I'm sorry. I'll make that tonight's project.

There are lots of witches / accusers to work on. Whoever grabs the Cotton Mather profile is in for a historical trip.

I can edit many profiles, but can't merge the duplicates. Even William and Resolved are messed up now. No rush. The relationships are all seared into my brain now :)

Is the problem that there's a pending merge?

Here's Rev Mather

Cotton Mather

The continental witchburning craze I think got its start around the time of Pope Innocent. The date 1215 springs to memory. That and the Albigenses of southern France (heretics from Albi). Also Conrad von Marburg was a big name in it. He supposedly burned entire villages to get at one witch. Nice guy.

I guess when your Crusades lose momentum, and you lose Jerusalem to the heathens, and you feel frustrated because your efforts to convert the world just aren't working, there is always the heretic next door. And everybody loves a bonfire.

Having gone into the dismal side of life, yes, Erica, it was a wonderful day when they freed the miners here in Chile. A piece of the world was restored. For every negative, I've got to believe there is a positive.

Opus...good thing my boss didn't walk by as I was scrolling thru the pics! You are SO bad Erica!!!!

Andrew...you will learn with Erica...she takes advantage of any help anyone even hints at offering. Which is good, cuz there is no way she could do it all. We love to help you all we can Erica...but no, I don't want to collaborate on this, unless you can find an ancestor of mine who was tried....I am not aware of any!

This is fantastic, y'all! Thanks to my cousin Anne Marit and Pam Wilson (17th cousin) for turning me on to this project. It is the subject of my latest book, The Emancipation of Giles Corey, out by Xmas this year. I am related to the players of Salem, all that I have found, which is the great majority--of victims as well as abusers. My maternal grandfather's Colonial American ancestors all connect to the royal super-highway (related to 66 of the 100 Mayflower passengers, so far): Goodspeed, Albright, Allen, Clark, Stacy, Maverick, Whitaker, Kunz, Jennings, etc. Would love to be involved in this project somehow, through individual pathways perhaps? For book info, check out my new website (still in development) www.michaelsortomme.com .

Michael, Welcome aboard!

Michael Sortomme is your 16th cousin twice removed.
Our point of connection is Margaret Carey, Lady Of Cary

Now, don't let "let's find out about the Cary's" distract us from the Salem Witches.

I think the place to begin is by going thru the list of players in the trial and making sure we have geni profiles for them all. That way we can also identify the ones we want to flesh out.

If you already know which Witches you want to build out, we'll get your name going on them.

So I need tags, team!

<getting punchy here>

Anita,

Heh! Stay focused on Signers! Push out those links so I can get them uploaded to the Project.

Michael, What is the "royal super-highway". I'm not familiar with that term. I just came across a book linking 4 or more Pilgrims to royal families in Europe. Is there a connection to your phrase?

Tag? Your not supposed to punch people when you play tag. It's not sportsmanlike...

Okay, Ben's official "Nurse Children Flotsam Report"... the following are not recorded by any reliable source as children of Francis and Rebecca Nurse, but are nonetheless attached to the couple by "enthusiastic GEDCOM users". This list follows:

Michael Nurse (b. 1651)
Nathaniel Nurse (b. 1651)
Isaac Nurse (b. 1655)
Jacob Nurse (b. 1657)
Suzanne Nurse (b. 1658)
Martha Nurse (b. 1667)

Now the Nurses were definitely believers in big families, as evident by the four sons and four daughters they did have, but 14 (with triplets in 1651) is probably beyond the range of historical accuracy.

Anybody got an axe?

Well get on it as my next case. Many thanks, Ben.

Yep Ben, I was looking up that info earlier today. I thought some of them were extras.

I've flagged the real children in two ways - one, they are from the Massachusetts Bay Colony in (Present USA); two, they don't have any explanation to their birth events.

I'm half guessing that these all may belong to the next generation up, but had someone input "birthdates that made more sense" or something like that.

Anyway... still plenty of events to parse into the line...

er, meant they do have explanations to their birth events...

I was reading about them but then I was sidetracked reading about the members of a prior generation (their grandparents) which has some problems as well. I was trying to fix that when I ran into a tech problem (window wasn't loading correctly). Anyway, we'll get there eventually.

Erica Howton Sorry...tax season is finally over! I am celebrating by going to a Renaissance Festival with a coworker tomorrow, then I am all yours (except maybe during NASCAR races) on the evenings and weekends until about Thanksgiving...then I am underground til March!!!

We're going to have a fun winter, I can feel it. Congrats on getting out from under the quarterlies.

Here's a profile I suggest adding to the Salem Witch Trials project:

Col. & Justice Nathaniel Saltonstall was selected as a judge for the special Court of Oyer and Terminer, the court responsible for the trial and sentence of people, mostly women, for the crime of witchcraft in Massachusetts during the Salem Witch Trials of 1692. Nathaniel Saltonstall is most famous for his resignation from the court, and though he left no indication of his feelings toward witchcraft, he is considered to be one of the more principled men of his time. Nathaniel Saltonstall was born c. 1639, Ipswich, MA; died May 21, 1707 (68), Haverhill, MA.

Max Kushner Saltonstall and I manage Nathaniel Saltonstall's profile at Col. Nathaniel Saltonstall, Sr.

Immediate Family:
Son of Richard Saltonstall and Muriel Saltonstall (Gurdon)
Husband of Elizabeth Saltonstall (Ward)
Father of Col. Richard Saltonstall, Elizabeth Cotton (Saltonstall) and Gov. Gurdon Saltonstall
Brother of Gurdon Saltonstall

Wikipedia says [downloaded March 2010 from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathaniel_Saltonstall]:

Col. Nathaniel Saltonstall (also spelled Nathanial Saltonstall) (c. 1639 – 1707) was selected as a judge for the special Court of Oyer and Terminer, a specific court responsible for the trial and sentence of people, mostly women, for the crime of witchcraft in Massachusetts during the Salem Witch Trials of 1692. He is most famous for his resignation from the court, and though he left no indication of his feelings toward witchcraft, he is considered to be one of the more principled men of his time.

Born in Ipswich, Massachusetts, in about 1639, to Richard Saltonstall (1610 – 1694), he was the grandson of Sir Richard Saltonstall. He graduated from Harvard in 1659, beginning the family tradition of higher education at this university. On December 29, 1663, Nathaniel Saltonstall married Elizabeth Ward, who was 18 years old, and acquired from her father, John Ward, the estate later known as the Saltonstall Seat. Two of their children were Col. Richard Saltonstall (1672 – 1714), and Gurdon Saltonstall (1666 – 1724), later the governor of Connecticut.

In 1668, Nathaniel began his career in town affairs when he was appointed town clerk. Robert Moody quotes that, according to a single surviving record book, he was "firm and effective in law enforcement, and yet, where allowed discretion by law, humane and flexible." His involvement in judicial affairs and apparent good reputation made him eligible to serve in the Salem Witch Trials, and he was appointed a judge along with six other men on May 27, 1692. There is no evidence, however, of his attendance at any of the examinations. Indeed, he resigned from the Court of Oyer and Terminer around June 8, 1692, the same time as Bridget Bishop's trial and sentence for witchcraft. Presumably, he was "displeased with the handling of the Bishop case," and for some time afterward remained "very much dissatisfied with the proceedings."

In addition to town judiciary service, he was a member of the local militia, responsible in part for frontier defense against Native Americans, and he reached the rank of Colonel.

I hope you find this useful.
Keep up the great work you're doing on this project!

Michael

Col. Nathaniel Saltonstall, Sr.

Has been added to the project. You need to find a picture for him!

I wonder why he was "very much dissatisfied with the proceedings." He was supposed to have been very principled ...

Quartlery taxes Erica? I only wish!!! I am a support rep for tax preparation franchisees...today was the last day to e-file your tax return. Now starts the fun of training and pre-season setup...when you make 95% of your yearly income in less than 6 weeks, ya gotta be on your toes when you start!!!!

I'm "following" Col. Saltonstall now as an experiment. He's my 8th cousin ... not very close, the Mayflowers are closer.

Bookmarked Erica, thanks.

I've seen an entire other set of grandparents here on Geni which haven't been merged into the MP. I don't know where they come from.

They're triblets. They have mastered cloning technology. You get up to feed the cats and 20 more appear. It must be magnets?

Magic. Lol.

I prefer to think of these self-cloning grandparent profiles as gloops from Sealab 2021. Hail Squishface...

http://www2.iath.virginia.edu/salem/people/carrier.html

Some more info on my 8th great grandmother

Okeedoke, this is the status report on the Towne folks (as opposed to townsfolk), following an attempt to include the Towne family aunts and uncles into Rebecca Nurse's life story:

These are closely related profiles we are able to edit within William Towne's family (siblings and parents of Francis Nurse I'm not going to deal with as they are for the most part unproven):

First born + spouse:
Rebecca Nurse
Francis Nurse

Third born (no documented spouse exists, should be unmarried):
Susanna Hayward
(This profile is a complete mess...)

Sixth born (spouse below):
Mary (Towne) Estey, Salem Witch Trials

Seventh born + Spouses (2x)
Sarah Cloyes
Sergeant Edmund Bridges, II
Peter Cloyes

Eighth born + Spouse
Joseph Towne
Phoebe Towne
---
These are closely related profiles we are not able to edit, but probably need to be able to (and typically they need a master page):

Second born + spouse:
John Towne
Phebe Lawson
(Mary Browning never married John Towne)

Fourth born + Spouse
Sgt. Edmund Towne
Mary Towne
(Phebe Lawson never married Edmund Towne)

Fifth born + Spouse
Jacob Towne, Sr.
Catherine Towne

Sixth born spouse:
Isaac Estey, Sr.
---
And of course, flotsam (they don't belong to this family group):

ELIZABETH TOWNE

Uriah Towne

Showing 91-120 of 258 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion