Salem Witch Trials: Colonial America in 1692 Project

Started by Erica Howton on Wednesday, October 13, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 181-210 of 258 posts

Right - they're hostile, and WE, fellow users are being blamed. What's right about that?

You have to go through 2 pages of comments before you get to one on the subject of this discussion. New discussions should be started instead of taking discussions like this one so far off topic.

My impression about the attacks is it comes from a misunderstanding about how profile management works.... or how it is currently working on Geni. There are, apparently, many bugs in the system that geni programmers are still working on to fix, In the meantime, when we merge profiles, management will sometimes be handed over to someone other than who started the profile in the first place. That was one of the first complaints by the person who got mad and started spamming and attacking. Profile management sometimes is handed over to those who do the most work of merging, so, when new people come here and don't understand how this works, they may think their management has been stolen.

Could we stay on topic in these feeds and take this to a another discussion. I have started one and hope that we can talk about why we have a big tree, the pros and cons and why some are fearful of it. Then we can get back to work on our projects. Just a thought. : )

Tims comments are just why we need to talk as this is what I have found as well. No one wants to do all of the work, maybe years of work, post all of your tree and then have someone else become the manager of that profile. We need to talk about public trees and personal trees and see if we can work with geni to come up with something to make all happy.

I am part of the big tree, a project manager and a paying member of geni, however when I 1st started my trees with my daughter, we knew nothing of the "big tree" and got tricked into it. That was a few years ago. Now I work on it with distant cousins, and just like any family relation, we don't always see eye to eye on everything.

Lets work together to make this a great site.

http://www.geni.com/discussions/83489

Found a few new Photos for the album of Rebecca Nurse...

http://www.geni.com/photo/view/6000000003210311928?album_type=photo...=

Michelle, thank you for sharing the photos.

Time line info and some corrected marriage info for Rebecca Nurse family

Will try to double check as much as possible before updating on my tree! Ancestry.com is great as long as there is info to find!

http://www.17thc.us/docs/lineage.shtml

Not so much to do with the topic, just an interesting side note... one side of the family has Rebecca Nurse and the Salem witches and on the other side I have a strong history of Anabaptist and apparently brought Mennonites to the US...

Does this make me a confused soul?

I am having a bast looking all this up!

Talk about confused souls --
I am Irish Catholic, Congregational Puritan, Huguenot, Quaker and Church of England in my various ancestral lines.

Hi Maria: My soul is probably even more confused these days - with all the Tewa gods, whatever the Cherokee used to worship before the Europeans came, the early Russian gods, Norse gods, Roman gods, and whatever it was that the Ostrogoths worshipped in the first half-millennium after Christ. Not to mention the gods that were important to the Princess of Isenia. :)

Oh boy, I found some great pics of the Nurse homestead, the sisters, family and several others!

http://www.geni.com/photo/view/6000000003210311928?album_type=photo...=

Where was Isenia?

So far I have:

Austro Hungarian Jewish, Ukrainian Jewish (a different culture), Congregational Puritan, Jehovah's Witness, Southern Baptist, Quaker, Huguenot, a German line I have no idea which religious affiliation, Church of England, Scots whoever - I assume traditional Catholics and also Calvinists, an accused witch in Salem (Mary Bliss Parsons, 2nd cousin), an accuser in Salem (Dr. Philip Reade, a follower of Cotton Mather), English Catholics, Byzantine Orthodox, and whatever Rognalda of the Skalds (?) who married the Prince of Kiev worshipped ..

I think Isenia was somewhere between ancient Israel and England. It incorporated vast areas of someone's rather vivid imagination, the best that I can tell. I'm sure it must have been, like maybe an empire. Maybe even a holy empire, or Roman... no wait... it was before 2 September 962. Never mind.

I'm really hoping that "Rognalda of the Skalds" is not being confused with Rogneda of Polotsk... otherwise I'm going to have to declare her the elusive Princess of Isenia... :)

(Rogneda has her own documented history that hasn't been yet tied into any other credible source... and her "marriage" was not the glorious sort of affair that any girl would want... St. Vladimir was a very bad boy that day.)

Wholly unrelated to Salem, but I'm getting myself ready to work on the Nurse family again, so I'm excusing myself...

You mean I have a mythical great grandma? Is this our common ancestress,Ben? Where is Polotsk anyway?

Nurse way.

OK, since we are on the Nurse Family... and that's what I am working on Also... I have a question for Ya, Ben...

My mother found some relations there with the Nurse Family and has built several of them into our family tree. As i join this group and get "really involved" and really start looking into the subject matter, I see she has lots of Duplicates going on.

Where do I get the CORRECT info to make sure I done kill the records in trying to clean up the little mess we have going there?

What is the best way to make sure I keep the real records...

THANKS!

OK, since we are on the Nurse Family... and that's what I am working on Also... I have a question for Ya, Ben...

My mother found some relations there with the Nurse Family and has built several of them into our family tree. As i join this group and get "really involved" and really start looking into the subject matter, I see she has lots of Duplicates going on.

Where do I get the CORRECT info to make sure I done kill the records in trying to clean up the little mess we have going there?

What is the best way to make sure I keep the real records...

THANKS!

OOPS, sorry for the double post!

Hi Michelle:

The Nurse family directly related to Francis and Rebecca appear to be well-documented, particularly with relation to their descendants. The only questionable area is Francis Nurse's ancestry - he likely arrived as an indentured servant, and his parentage isn't really that clear.

The Towne family is much more clear, and there is a Towne Family Association that has carried out a large amount of research on Rebecca's side. However, much of their resources, for the time being, are at cost. Still, they are at:

I've been using mostly free resources, such as:

The Towne Family Memorial:
http://www.archive.org/stream/townefamilymemor00hubb/#page/n5/mode/2up

The research of S.J. Walker, who compiled work on the family in 2002:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~walkersj/Nurse.htm

Right now I'm working on events closer in to the arrest, trial, and execution, and there is a published day-by-day record I've been working from entitled "The Salem Witch Trials: A Day-by-Day Chronicle of a Community Under Siege":
http://books.google.cl/books?id=TvxES1lB6XoC&pg=PA49&lpg=PA...

Plus there are numerous other online resources that I've been posting attribution on - you'll have to look into Rebecca's timeline to find these.

Basically, when researching a tree, you'll want to try to find what are called Primary and Secondary sources of information. The genealogist at the Thomas Rogers Society passed this along as a guide toward my family eventually hunting down proof of descent. It's a pretty good set of criteria to start working with, whether you are hunting down descent from a "Mayflower-child", a Salem Witch Trial victim, or an early Ostrogoth king:

Primary Sources:

Primary sources enable the researcher to get as close as possible to what actually happened during an historical event or time period. A primary source reflects the individual viewpoint of a participant or observer.

- Vital Records of or information collected by government agencies. Many kinds of records (births, deaths, marriages; permits and licenses issued; census data; etc.) document conditions in the society.
- Diaries, journals, speeches, interviews, letters, memos, manuscripts and other papers in which individuals describe events in which they were participants or observers.
- Memoirs and autobiographies. These may be less reliable than diaries or letters since they are usually written long after events occurred and may be distorted by bias, dimming memory or the revised perspective that may come with hindsight. On the other hand, they are sometimes the only source for certain information.
- Records of organizations. The minutes, reports, correspondence, etc. of an organization or agency serve as an ongoing record of the activity and thinking of that organization or agency.
- Published materials (books, magazine and journal articles, newspaper articles) written at the time about a particular event. While these are sometimes accounts by participants, in most cases they are written by journalists or other observers. The important thing is to distinguish between material written at the time of an event as a kind of report, and material written much later, as historical analysis.
- Photographs, audio recordings and moving pictures or video recordings, documenting what happened.
- Physical objects (such as grave stones)

Secondary Sources:

A secondary source is a work that interprets or analyzes an historical event or phenomenon. It uses primary sources and is at least one step removed from the event. if you were to look at the bibliography of this article you would see that the author's research was based on both primary sources such as vital records and other primary documents, speeches and personal letters. Published books (NEHGR, Mayflower Families Through 5 Generations, textbooks and encyclopedias are also examples of secondary sources.

Generally Unaccepted Sources:
- We (meaning the Mayflower-related societies, apparently) do not accept “Pedigrees of Some of the Emperor Charlemagne’s Descendants” Vol. I, II , or III
- References to Membership in other societies are not acceptable as proof
- LDS
- Group Sheets
- Internet genealogies or family genealogies that do not reflect primary sources
- Unpublished genealogies

Unaccepted Publications:

- We (again, Mayflower related societies, apparently) do not accept “Pedigrees of Some of the Emperor Charlemagne’s Descendants” Vol. I, II , or III
- “Magna Charta Barons” and “Americans of Royal Descent” by Browing
- “Magna Charta” by Wurts
- “Compendium of American Genealogy” by Virkus

Hope that this helps... -Ben.

Sorry, forgot to include the Town Family Association online address (that'll teach me to read through before posting...):
http://www.townefolk.com/

Thanks very much, Ben! This gives me a great source not just for the Nurse family but for researching the family links in general, and some great criteria.

Looks like you have done much of the nurse family work already, I just need to clean up our little corner of it.

I still need to get straight in my head how our "personal family tree" relates to the "big tree". That still confuses me a bit, still learning... but having a ball doing it!

I much appreciate it!

I'm off to search and learn...

THANKS!!

Just be sure to attribute everything you assert. That way other people can duplicate your research in their own mind and either become confident with it, or correct it if they have a missing piece to the puzzle that you didn't have. I usually use the About Me section to do this, but am also finding that the event descriptions are pretty good for that purpose. Good luck with finding your way around the tree, meanwhile. It's a fun place to hang out (that almost sounded morbid... sorry for the pre-Halloween gallows humor). -Ben.

er Paleolithic (1,000,000-200,000 BP)

There is sparse evidence of the Lower Paleolithic in Europe. The earliest inhabitants of Europe identified so far were Homo erectus or Homo ergaster at Dmanisi, dated between 1 and 1.8 million years ago. Pakefield, on the North Sea coast of England, is dated to 800,000 years ago, followed by Isenia La Pineta in Italy, 730,000 years ago and Mauer in Germany at 600,000 BP. Sites belonging to archaic Homo sapiens (the ancestors of the Neanderthal) have been identified at Steinheim, Bilzingsleben, Petralona and Swanscombe, among other places beginning between 400,000 and 200,000. The earliest use of fire is documented during the Lower Paleolithic. In other words it may be in Italy
Source About.com Milt

Lower Paleolithic Sites in Europe

May the day come that we can document back to the Lower Paleolithic. :)

We've been twittered! I bet we get a following, y'all!!!

http://twitter.com/geni/statuses/29123139255

Erica, are you from Texas too??

Steinheim Man; that reminds me of when I was married to a German woman, and I walked my mother-in-law's dog (a frisky Beagle) in the park where the Steinheim Man cave is located (with a locked iron gate to keep curious people like me out). It is near the Main River near Hanau, Germany.

It's not a black dog that we're being followed by, is it Erica? I'm worried... (well, also, a little drunk on pisco too... but it all evens out in the end)...

My grandmother was katherine garner killed as witch...from adrienne soto

It is always sad to know that someone in your family was accused as a witch and died as a result.

The Salem Witch trials were supersitious and fanatic. It is mysterious that
sometimes these innocent people have been lost to the fears of a particular group of fanatics.

Ethel

It is always sad to know that someone in your family was accused as a witch and died as a result.

The Salem Witch trials were supersitious and fanatic. It is mysterious that
sometimes these innocent people have been lost to the fears of a particular group of fanatics.

Ethel

Showing 181-210 of 258 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion