Sources and evidence on Jesus' descendants?

Started by Eero Gustaf Ignatius on Sunday, December 5, 2010
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 6 posts
12/5/2010 at 4:42 AM

The GENI tree needs not be "the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth", after all this is also one area where we are presenting our assumptions.

But in such delicate issues as the immediate descendants of Jesus of Nazareth it is only fair to expect that whoever updates the profiles of his descendants would also add sources used. This would increase the value of these hypothesized persons at least a bit. Let us try to be objective in our search!

Eero,
I agree with you in principle, but please understand that the vast majority of Geni users, and genealogists in general, don't HAVE sources. At best they blindly copy-paste some GEDCOM file, that they found on the internet into their own tree, which eventually gets uploaded to Geni [a dozen times].

If you look at the profile for Jesus, under Discussions, you will see that this issue is of and on, constantly being debated. The vast majority of objections are for purely theological reasons, not historical.

Private User
3/21/2011 at 1:47 AM

easy, Bloodline of the holy grail by lawrence gardner page 362 his references to that can be seen on page 301, any other issues can be taken up with the Author.

11/10/2014 at 7:50 PM

I am surprised at the many claims that have been presented over the years that Jesus of Nazareth was married and had offspring. From a Theological point of view it really says to my understanding no such thing happened, but on a Historical-Genealogical point of view, I am open to the idea that it could be possible. Claims are a dime a dozen and "proof" stands on it's own.
Be it so or not... I don't see any arguement one way or another and I would be supportive of such evidence, because, No Christian(s) should be afraid nor deceived by The Truth... be it so or not.

Rev, A. Edward Moch D.D. ++++

11/10/2014 at 8:18 PM

It could be possible, but there's no evidence and not likely to ever be any evidence (pseudo-historian Lawrence Gardiner notwithstanding).

To me, the circumstantial evidence is persuasive -- the first head of the Jerusalem church was Jesus' brother James, and James was succeeded by their cousin Simeon bar Clopas, and so on down to Judah Kyriakos, a great grandson of Jesus' brother Jude. Judah Kyriakos was bishop of Jersualem at the time of Bar Kokhba's revolt (132-136), and the last Jewish bishop of Jerusalem.

In other words, the earthly heirs of Jesus were the descendants of his brother Jude. If there had been any descendants of Jesus, it seems likely some of them would have led the Jerusalem church.

11/10/2014 at 9:06 PM

If the recent claims provide 'Proof' of additional Historical-Genealogical evidence, then I will open to these new facts
Years ago ... I read the book "Holy Blood Holy Grail" and wrote to Michael Biagent and pointed out some minor flaws in the book. He responded back wanting more information. About Two years later or so... they published rhe book, The Messianic Legacy", giving additional research as well as some adjustment that I suggested Etc. I and My Families Reputation seems to speak for itself.

Thank you Justin

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion