Hubbard Bible

Started by Private User on Monday, May 23, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 20 posts
Private User
5/23/2011 at 2:18 PM

I was going through collections at work today and came across a Hubbard family Bible. Since the acquisition information says it dates from the "1660s Hubbard family of Hartford," my assumption is that it has to come through Samuel Hubbard, the son of George Hubbard, of Hartford, since George had already moved to Middletown by then.

Has anyone come across any other Hubbards of Hartford during that time? I've looked around through various records and can't find any, so I think my guess has to be right. If so, it's pretty neat to have a nice tie to this project. Maybe Geni will help solve a minor historical mystery. :)

5/23/2011 at 3:13 PM

George Hubbard, Hartford, perhaps as early as 1639, married Eliz., daughter of Richard Watts of the same; had Mary, born 1642 ; Joseph, 1643 ; Daniel, 1645 ; Samuel, 1648; George, 1650; removed to Middletown, there had Nathaniel, 1652;

Google Books http://books.google.com/books?id=cSrlHHj2AFcC&pg=PA272&dq=H...

5/23/2011 at 3:16 PM

Eight children were born to them, of whom Samuel Hubbard, the fourth child and third son, was born in Hartford, Connecticut, in May, 1648. He married Sarah Kirby, August 9, 1673, and died in Hartford, November 4, 1732.

http://books.google.com/books?id=0V85bp_2F4MC&pg=PA274&dq=S...

5/23/2011 at 3:17 PM

But you knew all that :)

Private User
5/23/2011 at 7:08 PM

No harm in having things confirmed. :) But it does appear that only Samuel hung around in Hartford, so that's why I'm thinking it has to come through that line. Unfortunately, the Bible has been passed through a few different organizations, so finding additional details on its acquisition has been a challenge.

Private
5/24/2011 at 6:01 AM

Dear Ashley,
Were you able to examine the Bible to see if any records of the family
were entered in the book?

If the Bible contains a record of births, marriages and deaths, it would
help to link the book to Samuel Hubbard of Hartford.

Ethel

Private User
5/24/2011 at 6:24 PM

Ethel, I of course thought of that, but this Bible is so fragile that we can only open it to certain pages without doing damage. We do know that the Bible was printed in Europe in the 1660s and brought over for the Hubbards.

Private
5/25/2011 at 5:41 AM

Dear Ashley,

In my family tree, there is a Samuel Hubbard b. 1610 d. 1688.
It is possible that he ordered a Bible such as the one you have found.

I have discovered that the book, "1000 Years of Hubbard History" is
now published online for all to see. Our Samuel Hubbard has a
biography in there, pages 54-55. He had a son, Samuel Hubbard
who did not marry and had no children.. b. 1649 d. 1670.

Five other Samuel Hubbards are mentioned but all seem to have lived at a much later time period.

It would be amazing if this Bible that you found was really the property
of our Samuel Hubbard of Newport , RI. For 23 years he "belonged to the First Baptist Church of Newport."

December 23, 1671, with his wife, one daughter, and
four other persons he formed the first Seventh Day Baptist Church in
America.

If you want to hear more of this Samuel Hubbard, I can send you the biography from this book, "1000 Years of Hubbard History".

Ethel

Private
5/25/2011 at 10:30 AM

I agree.
Samuel Hubbard of Hartford, who married Sarah Kirby is probably a
good candidate for owning the Bible.

Ethel

Private User
6/12/2011 at 11:09 AM

So I had a chance to go back through the acquisition records for the Bible and came up with some better information.

The Bible was printed in the 1530s or 1540s in Germany. The Hubbards began using it in England. It came over with them in the 1630s. So, it does look like it was originally George Hubbard, of Hartford's Bible, and that his son Samuel is the one who kept it going in Hartford.

There is definitely no connection to Newport. It is solidly Hartford.

Private
6/13/2011 at 3:08 PM

Dear Ashley,

Thanks for the extra info. It surely seems clear that this particular Bible
belonged to George Hubbard and was probably given to his son Samuel
who settled in Hartford, CT.

Ethel

Private User
7/1/2011 at 5:48 PM

So I know no one really cares about this mysterious Hubbard Bible, but...I'll continue! :)

Now we're trying to sort out which George Hubbard owned it -- was it George Hubbard, of Hartford, or was it George Hubbard, of Wethersfield, who was also in Hartford around the same time?

And actually, it looks like we have information in both profiles that confuses the two men. I'm going to try to sort them out. In the meantime, I'm going to write a sticky-note for myself to give my children unique names.

7/1/2011 at 6:02 PM

It never works! My mother tried! LOL.

7/1/2011 at 6:31 PM

Unique names? Not a chance...

My middle name is Marie...when my little sister was born, Mom liked Dawn, but the only middle name she could come up with was Marie...well, she couldn't have that, so she named my sister after the Nurse....Annette!!!

Private User
7/1/2011 at 8:57 PM

I love when I Google my name and find everything from wedding photographers to equestrians to high school students to politicians.

I think I'll give my children names like Plutonium or Rubella or Kwijybo. And then they won't be allowed to live in Hartford when anyone with even the same initials is there.

7/1/2011 at 9:04 PM

Johnny Cash - A Boy Named Sue ...

Private
7/2/2011 at 9:29 AM

Bravo for work well done.
It is curious how we are attracted to mysterious Georges and Samuels....
and we want it sorted out.

If you decide which George Hubbard was the father of
the Samuel Hubbard of the Bible....

Please let us all know.

7/2/2011 at 10:51 AM

My father gave my sisters and me unique names and once we married, they became even more unique:

Hatte Blejer
Tandy {Rubenstein} Ford
Jayne Brown --> Reano

:)

Tandy is nearly unique. Jayne is fairly rare, although more usual among Jews, but with the surname Reano, nearly unique.

Hatte spelled Hatte is unique. Even Hattie you won't find many Hattie Rubensteins and no Hattie Blejers haha. Spanish spelling of Yiddish name with old fashioned American name that nowadays only black families have maintained.

7/2/2011 at 10:53 AM

I'm also interested in this Bible Ashley.

9/19/2020 at 1:35 PM

Ashley, were you ever able to garner any genealogical information from the Bible? I’m a direct descendent of George Hubbard and would love to hear about anything you found.

Thanks,
Leah

Showing all 20 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion