Started by Elisabeth Kornfeld on Friday, May 27, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 25 posts
5/27/2011 at 9:53 AM

Hello all,
I started uploading some of my images of Kornfeld graves in Golcuv Jenikov.
Some of them I can match with names on our tree, but for some of them I can't quite figure out how they belong,
so perhaps others might be able to help. Didn't really know how to "announce" this except in one of these discussion posts,
but maybe the best would be to post comments about each picture below that specific picture.

Elisabeth

Private User
5/28/2011 at 12:45 AM

Hi Elisabeth, Sounds interesting... but at present I cannot see where they are. I am guesing that they are in your photos, but cannot see any link to your photos.
Is that because I am not collaborating with you, or part of your Family Group, or some other Geni technicality ?
Thanks
Peter

5/28/2011 at 2:40 AM

Hi!
I tried looking for an option to make them more public, but I can't find one.
Might be some Geni technicality, but we ARE collaborating, so I would think photos would be covered by that.
How about this link to the album, does it work?

http://www.geni.com/photo/album/6000000012553284399?album_id=600000...

5/28/2011 at 1:54 PM

Hi Elisabeth, I'm not seeing them either. And I tried clicking on the link and got a message that said I don't have permission to view the album. Why don't you try inviting us to your family group. Maybe that will work.

Private User
5/28/2011 at 2:03 PM

I had the same problem as Judy
Peter

5/28/2011 at 2:24 PM

I just invited both of you to my family group. If you accept, I think then we will be able to see each others pictures. I don't know why Geni can't have a better help section or a getting started section. You really have to learn the program by trial and error.

5/29/2011 at 2:53 AM

I find this really annoying. I'll definitely invite you two to my family group, but I was hoping other people besides those that I specifically choose would be able to see those photos. (What does that even mean, "family group"? Hm.)

5/29/2011 at 6:41 AM

I checked out Geni's FAQ section, but it didn't mention anything about making your pictures more public. I really agree with you Judy, that some kind of beginner's guide would be great. Reading about the family groups though, it sounds like this would be the key to seeing each others' albums: http://help.geni.com/entries/461169-what-is-a-family-group-request
Can you view the pictures now?

5/30/2011 at 5:32 PM

ok, I can now see your pictures. The family group was the key. Apparently, certain things are only viewable by family group members. Geni naturally defines family group as going out to 4rth cousin I think. Since you are I think my 4rth cousin once removed, you're too far out -- unless I invite you (or you invite me) to my family group, which I did and you can now see my pics and I can see yours. And Peter is even less related -- so he had to be invited as well, which we did. Is this clear? There are several help discussions that I have found, that I am now following, just in case I have questions. Those discussions aren't easy to find -- don't know why there isn't a better help page, but I think we're getting there -- just feel bad for new people who quit before they start because the site is too overwhelming.

5/31/2011 at 4:52 AM

Also I suggest you invite Randy Schoenberg to your family group as he is a wealth of information and might provide additional insight.

5/31/2011 at 4:55 AM

It seems you're right about the photos. Though I wish there was an option to make specific photo albums more public, like there is on facebook..
Thanks for the suggestion, I will invite Randy Schoenberg.

5/31/2011 at 6:20 AM

Peter Rohel (c) When you wish to Share (incl. Profile Management) with Someone - Best to to do Both 1) Invite to Family Group 2) Collaborate. Sorry - Not Sure why "Both vs. only 1 of them is Required". Otherwise - I concur with what was said in this Thread :)

Elisabeth Kornfeld,
here's an idea for you, based on those photos, you could create public profiles for those which you "can't quite figure out how they belong" (or even for the whole lot), associate the photos with each profile, and then make a PROJECT for them all.

That way, anyone interested could join the project and thus have access to them.

6/1/2011 at 4:41 AM

This is a new idea for me. I haven't done a project before. Can you tell us how to start the project and how would others know it exists?

6/2/2011 at 8:01 AM

I am new to the whole project thing on Geni as well, but it sounds like a good idea. I am also wondering though, how would people find the project? Can I tag it with some common descriptive words so that it will come up if people search for example for Czech republic, Hebrew inscriptions etcetera? Or how does it work? Do I need to connect a photo to a public profile before the photo itself can become public? I suppose I am a little hesitant about creating profiles with names such as "? Kornfeld" or "Unidentified grave 1", in cases where the graves are difficult for me to read.

6/2/2011 at 12:04 PM

Projects are searchable. Best to give it a name that people might think to search under. And send out email to whoever might want to join or follow it. You can add people as collaborators if you are a collaborator / the project creator. Otherwise, people can join the project as Followers.

I think Shmuel meant make a project for all of them (all the profiles), including the profiles that you can't quite figure out where they belong.

There are some formatting tricks to making a nice looking project narrative, assuming that you even need much of a narrative, but any of us curators can help with formatting.

The secret of projects is that the people in the project can see the profiles and the related photographs and can edit them collaboratively.

Elisabeth Kornfeld,
Hatte gave you most of the information. As to finding the project, there are two more things of importance:
1) When you add a profile to a project, then a link TO the project is added to the profile itself. Take my favorite example: Adam of Eden. If you look on the right side, directly under Statistics, you'll find... Related Projects. So anyone looking at these Kornfeld profiles should see this link.

2) When a discussion like this has links to profiles in it, that are part of a project, a link to the project is added on the left side of the discussion itself. This link does NOT always appear, so I'm uncertain of the exact mechanism.

Both of these will bring people interested in the profiles to your project.

See the "Related Projects" on the left at the top?

6/2/2011 at 5:19 PM

I'm starting to understand, but I guess I'm not sure how a project will benefit the main issue that we have, which is we have pictures of headstones for whom we do not have profiles yet. Also, how do you create a profile that isn't linked to your own tree and what do you think would be a good name for this project, one that would show up in a search ...

Elisabeth, if you click on the top Research -- projects, that will take you to pages that explain projects further, some of it I understand, some of it, not so much. If you want to start a project (from what I read, once you pick the name, it can't be changed), go ahead ... it will be a couple of weeks before I can participate.

6/2/2011 at 5:43 PM

Here's how you could handle the profiles. Create a child of yourself. Name it something like Unidentified Individuals. Then detach it from your tree. Use it to add profiles of individuals for each headstone, so you will have a tree of unidentfied individuals. Add the profiles to the project. They don't have to be in the same family to be added to the project.

The name of the project should fit the goal - Unidentified Czech headstones Possibly related to ________ Family. I'm not sure of your intent. But this would give you a place to have discussions and allow people to see photos of the headstones and to make suggestions.

6/2/2011 at 5:44 PM

If you pick a project name that you really want to change later, Geni can change it for you.

6/2/2011 at 5:44 PM

Oh, make sure to FOLLOW the Unidentified Individuals profile so you can find it again, since you will have detached it from your tree.

Judy Baumgarten (Kornfeld),
in this case, the benefit of putting such profiles in a project is that anyone interested in them, can [ask to] join the project. They will then have full access to review and edit these profiles. This would make it much easier to expose these specific profiles to other users.

6/5/2011 at 10:37 AM

Thanks for all the advice - I will go over it in more detail shortly. If a project helps people find the pictures, that sounds like something we should definitely try, though I still think I would have preferred it if I just could have made a photo public without having to create a profile for it.

Elisabeth Kornfeld,
going through the extra step of creating profiles, also makes the information in the photos, on these headstones, to be available to Geni's search functions. So people ARE much more likely to find them.

Showing all 25 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion