About Andrew Bacon of Hartford & Hadley
Please see updated research at: TAG 47:136-37; NEHGR 168:33
Andrew Bacon was an original proprietor of Hartford, and in the distribution of 1639-40, received a lot on the east side of Main St., immediately south of the Little River. He was chosen townsman, 1641, 1658, deputy, 1642-1656. In 1642 he, with Captain John Mason and Mr. Clark, was appointed by the General Court to prepare carriages for the pieces (guns) that came from Piscataqua. In 1643 he, with Mr. Talcott, was appointed to take a record of the debts of the country. He was also a committee, with Mr. Webster, for Hartford, to join the magistrates in pressing men in each town for service, in 1654. He was exempted from training, watching, and warding, May, 1656. He was a committee, with Mr. Steele and Mr. Boosy, "to provide at Hartford for the comely meeting of the Commissioners of the United Colonies." In 1658 a complaint was preferred in the General Court against him, Gov. Webster, and others, who were about to withdraw from the church, and from Hartford. He signed the contract to remove to Hadley, in 1659; freeman, Massachusetts, March 26, 1661. He married in 1661, Elizabeth, widow of Timothy Stanley, of Hartford; probably a second wife. He died in Hadley, October 4, 1664, without children. His widow returned to Hartford to live with her son, Caleb Stanley; died February 23, 1679, aged about seventy-six.
SOURCE: James Hammond Trumbull, editor, The memorial history of Hartford County, Connecticut, 1633-1884, Volume 1 (Boston, Massachusetts: Edward L. Osgood, 1886), page 229. Retrieved: 3 May 2011 from Google Books