Anna Sofia Lundi

Is your surname Lundi?

Research the Lundi family

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!
view all 27

Immediate Family

About Anna Sofia Lundi

Anna Turja kertoo Titanicin uppoamisyöstä

Miss Anna Sofia Turja

Miss Anna Sofia Turja, 18, was born on 20 June 1893 and grew up in Oulainen, Oulu, Finland, the daughter of Heikki Turja and Sanna Hakala. Between this and another marriage Heikki had 21 children in total.

Anna was tempted to America by promise of a job with John Lundi the husband of her half-sister Maria in Ashtabula, OH. A brother, Matt Turja, lived in Conneaut, Ohio. Anna mailed a letter to her sister on 3 April 1912 from Hangö (also spelt Hanko) - a port and the Southernmost town in Finland - stating that she and about 100 other Finns were about to sail from there to make connections with the Titanic (Mrs Lundi received the letter on April 18th).

Anna boarded the Titanic in Southampton and travelled in third class. She shared a room with Maria Panula, her children and neighbour Sanni Riihivuori.

The women were all in the room when the Titanic struck the iceberg. Anna, who was woken by the collision, described it as like a shudder. Anna thought that there was something wrong with the engines. She got up and slowly dressed herself. The other women did the same thing. The brother of one of the women came to their cabin and told them that something was wrong and that they should wear warm clothing and put on their life jackets: 'Get up or soon you will be at the bottom of the ocean.'

Anna was not scared, but others were and she said some of them fainted. No one hurried to get dressed or go up on deck. She returned to the cabin and saw Maria Panula dressing her sleepy and crying children in a hopeless and panicky state: 'We will never get away from here alive", "Do we all have to die by water?'

Maria had lost a teenage son to drowning back in Finland.

As they made they way towards the deck a seaman tried to bar their way but Anna and her party refused to obey. He didn’t stop to argue with them but the doors were closed and chained behind them to prevent others from coming up.'We were not told what had happened, and had to do our own thinking.'

It was, she said, pure chance that they emerged on the boat deck. They could hear the band playing although Anna was unable to identify any of the tunes. The language barrier - she spoke no English - made the situation more difficult for her. She recalled that generally the Finns did not panic and that many had gathered in "the music room" [sic] on the deck to listen to music. As late as half past twelve in the night Annna had been listening to music.

Anna was rescued, probably in lifeboat 15

As they pulled away from the ship Anna heard loud explosions and saw the lights, which had until then been burning brightly, go out. The lifeboat was close to the Titanic when it sank. The moaning and calling for help were awful, she later described the cries in the water: "finally it was almost like an hymn, you could hear" which continued for what she thought was two or three hours. She was told they couldn't go back to rescue swimmers because there the boat was full. In the boat, men and women burned hats and other items so that the other lifeboats would see them and keep close together. On the Carpathia, she talked with a Finnish man who claimed to have been in the water for six hours. He claimed that there had been some shooting as the Titanic went down and that he had just escaped being shot for trying to get into a lifeboat that was lowering with plenty of room left in it.

Anna was taken from the Carpathia to St Vincent's Hospital, Anna and the other survivors, were spared the ordeal of most immigrants at Ellis Island. She wanted to go and see if anyone else she knew had been rescued, three of her roommates apparently perished, but the hospital personnel made her stay in her room, although she noted they were very kind to her.

Anna had lost everything she had except her clothes. The White Star Line paid for her train ticket to Ashtabula (because she spoke no English she had to be, literally, tagged) and for her hospital bill. Anna arrived in Ashtabula at 5:23 p.m. on the "Nickel Plate" train. She was greeted by her brother Matti Turja and taken to her sister's home at 81 Oak Street. Neighbours crowded in to see Anna, 'They marveled at the wisp of a girl they met.' Anna was described by a newspaper reporter as 'fair, slender, and exceedingly bashful.'

Anna's name had been on the lost passengers list, and it wasn’t until 5 or 6 weeks later that her family in Finland received a letter from her that they found out she was alive. She never returned to Finland.

Anna did not go to work for her brother-in-law. She soon met her future husband (Emil Lundi) and they had seven children: Marvin Lundi and Ruth Eckhardt (both died pre-1982); Paul, who still lives in Ashtabula, Ohio; Martin, who now lives in Naples, Florida; Milton Lundi who was born 9 February 1914 and died 2 May 1996 in Long Beach, California; Ellen Harjo of Garden Grove, California and Ethel Rudolph of San Diego, California.

Anna never bothered to learn English and on attending the movie A Night to Remember in 1958 her son had to interpret for her. When the movie ended she turned to her son with tears in her eyes and said "If they were so close to take those pictures, why didn't someone help us?)

Emil Lundi died in 1952 and Anna Turja died, in Long Beach, California, on 20 December 1982, aged 89. She was buried in Edgewater Cemetery, Ashtabula, Ohio. Emil Lundi died in 1952 and Anna Turja died, in Long Beach, California, on 20 December 1982, aged 89. She was buried in Edgewater Cemetery, Ashtabula, Ohio.

Notes The lack of formal immigration procedure arose again when her son tried to enter the army. The FBI investigated why there was no record of Anna's citizen registration from entering the country, but he finally got clearance.

References and Sources Ashtabula Beacon (Ohio), 18 April 1912, 24 April 1912 Uusi Suometar (Finland), June 2, 1912 Claes-Göran Wetterholm (1988, 1996, 1999) Titanic. Prisma, Stockholm. ISBN 91 518 3644 0

Credits Phillip Gowan, USA John Rudolph, USA (Anna Turja's Grandson) Leif Snellman, Finland Homer Thiel, USA Kalman Tanito, Finland Juho Peltonen, Finland Claes-Göran Wetterholm, Sweden

överlevde Titanic förlisningen Titanic survivor

BOAT NO. 15.*

Br. Rpt., p. 38, places this next to last lowered on starboard side at 1.35. No disorder in loading or lowering this boat.

Passengers: All third-class women and children (53) and Men: Mr. Haven (first-class) and three others (third-class) only. Total: 4.

Crew: Firemen: Diamond (in charge), Cavell, Taylor; Stewards: Rule, Hart. Total: 13.

Grand Total (Br. Rpt., p. 38) : 70.


G. Cavell, trimmer (Br. Inq.) :

The officer ordered five of us In the boat. We took on all the women and children and the boat was then lowered. We lowered to the first-class (I. e. A) deck and took on a few more women and children, about five, and then lowered to the water. From the lower deck we took In about sixty. There were men about but we did not take them In. They were not kept back. They were third-class passengers, I think — sixty women, Irish. Fireman Diamond took charge. No other seaman In this boat. There were none left on the third-class decks after I had taken the women.

S. J. Rule, bathroom steward (Br. Inq.) : Mr. Murdoch called to the men to get Into the boat. About six got In. "That will do," he said, "lower away to Deck A." At this time the vessel had a slight list to port. We sent scouts around both to the starboard and port sides. They came back and said there were no more women and children. We filled up on A Deck — sixty-eight all told — the last boat to leave the starboard side. There were some left behind. There was a bit of a rush after Mr. Murdoch said we could fill the boat up with men standing by. We very nearly came on top of No. 13 when we lowered away. A man, Jack Stewart, a steward, took charge. Nearly everybody rowed. No lamp. One deckhand in the boat, and men, women and children. Just before it was launched, no more could be found, and about half a dozen men got in. There were sixty- eight in the boat altogether. Seven members of the crew.

J. E. Hart, third-class steward (Br. Inq., 75) : Witness defines the duties and what was done by the stewards, particularly those connected with the steerage.

Pass the women and children up to the Boat Deck," was the order soon after the collision. About three-quarters of an hour after the collision he took women and children from the C Deck to the first-class main companion. There were no barriers at that time. They were all opened. He took about thirty to boat No. 8 as it was being lowered. He left them and went back for more,' meeting third-class passengers on the way to the boats. He brought back about twenty-five more steerage women and children, having some little trouble owing to the men passengers wanting to get to the Boat Deck. These were all third-class people whom we took to the only boat left on the starboard side, viz., No. 15. There were a large number already in the boat, which was then lowered to A Deck, and five women, three children and a man with a baby in his arms taken in, making about seventy people in all, including thirteen or fourteen of the crew and fireman Diamond in charge. Mr. Murdoch ordered witness into the boat. Four men passengers and fourteen crew was the complement of men; the rest were women and children.

When boat No. 15 left the boat deck there were other women and children there — some first- class women passengers and their husbands. Absolute quietness existed. There were repeated cries for women and children. If there had been any more women there would have been found places for them in the boat. He heard some of the women on the A Deck say they would not leave their husbands.

There is no truth in the statement that any of the seamen tried to keep back third-class passengers from the Boat Deck. Witness saw masthead light of a ship from the Boat Deck. He did his very best, and so did all the other stewards, to help get the steerage passengers on the Boat Deck as soon as possible.

  • Reference: In the Thunder Bay, Ontario newspaper The Chronicle-Journal on

Monday, January 30, 1995 the following list of passengers who were on the Titanic was printed in the column People, by Howard Reid. The following is a quote of his article in its entirety

Documentary focuses on Finnish aboard Titanic

Received a very interesting letter from Shirley Panula of Government Road. Friends in Chicago, Ill., noticed a newspaper article about Marko Kuparinen of Helsinki making a documentary for TV about Finnish passengers on the Titanic. The article then went on to list Finnish passengers who were on board the Titanic. Seeing Thunder Bay is home for the largest number of Finnish-speaking persons outside Helsinki, the names listed may be of special interest.

II Class:

  • Collander, Erik
  • Hiltunen, Maria
  • Hamalainen, Anna
  • Hamalainen, Wiljo
  • Lahtinen, Anna
  • Lahtinen, William
  • Silven, Lyyli
  • Sinkkonen, Anna

III Class:

  • Abrahamsson, August
  • Alhomaki, Rudolf Ilmari
  • Andersson, Erna
  • Backstrom, Karl Alfred
  • Backstrom, Maria Mathilda
  • Berglund, Karl Ivan Sven
  • Gustafsson, Anders Vilhelm
  • Gustafsson, Johan Birger
  • Gustafsson, Alfred Ossian
  • Hakkarainen, Pekka Pietari
  • Hakkarainen, Elin
  • Heikkinen, Laina
  • Heininen, Wedla Maria
  • Hirvonen, Helga
  • Hirvonen, Hildur
  • Honkanen, Eliina
  • Ilmakangas, Ida Livija
  • Ilmakangas, Pieta Sofia
  • Johanson, Jakob Alfred
  • Jussila, Aina Maria
  • Jussila, Eiriik
  • Jussila, Katriina
  • Kallio, Nikolai Erland
  • Laitine, Kristina Sofia
  • Leinonen, Antti Gustaf
  • Linquist, Eino
  • Maenpaa, Matti Aleksanteri
  • Makinen, Kalle Edward
  • Nieminen, Manta Josefina
  • Nirva, Iisakki Aijo
  • Niskanen, Johan
  • Panula, Ernesti Arvid
  • Panula, Jaakko Arnold
  • Panula, Juha Niilo
  • Panula, Maria Emilia
  • Panula, Urho Abraham
  • Panula, William
  • Pekoniemi, Edvard
  • Peltomaki, Nikolai Johannes
  • Riihivuori, Santu
  • Rintamaki, Matti
  • Rosblom, Helena Wilhelmina
  • Rosblom, Salli Helena
  • Rosblom, Viktor Rickard
  • Salonen, Johan Werner
  • Sivola, Antii William
  • Sjoblem, Anna Sofia
  • Strandberg, Ida Sofia
  • Stranden, Juho
  • Sundman, Johan Julian
  • Tikkanen, Juho
  • Turja, Anna Sofia
  • Turkula, Hedvig
  • Wiklund, Jacob Alfred
  • Wiklund, Kali Johan
   For more information please contact Marko Kuparinen,

Kumpu-lanportti 3 A 4, SF 00520 Helsinki, Finland, or the Finnish Newspaper Co., 4422 Eighth Ave., Brooklyn, New York.

Anna, a Titanic survivor, lived in Oulainen, Finland. She boarded Titanic at Southampton as Third Class passenger, ticket #4138. After she left the Carpathia in New York City, she took a train to Ashtabula, Ohio, to live with her sister and brother-in-law. There she met, and eventually married, Emil Lundi. Together they had 7 children. After Emil died, she lived in Long Beach, California with one of her sons, where she died in 1982. "I can never understand why God would have spared a poor Finnish girl when all those rich people drowned.”

view all 11

Anna Sofia Lundi's Timeline

June 20, 1893
Oulainen, Finland
February 9, 1914
Ashtanbula, Ohio, United States
August 11, 1926
Ashtabula County
December 20, 1982
Age 89
CA, United States
Ohio, United States
Ohio, United States
Ohio, United States