|Birthplace:||Basking Ridge, Somerset, New Jersey, United States|
|Death:||Died in Martins Ferry, Belmont, Ohio, United States|
|Place of Burial:||Martins Ferry, Belmont, Ohio, United States|
Son of Col. Ephraim Martin and Martha Martin
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Capt. Absalom Martin
About Capt. Absalom Martin
DAR Ancestor #: A074064. SERVED IN 1780 IN THE CONTINENTAL LINE as a private.
34. Absalom8 Martin (Ephraim (Col)7, Ephraim6, James5, Joseph4, John3, Isaac2, Christopher1) was born 1758 in Basking Ridge, NJ, and died January 1802 in Jefferson(Martins Ferry, Ohio).
- Parents: Ephraim MARTIN b: 13 Sep 1733 in Basking Ridge, Somerset County, New Jersey & Catherine Squier
He married Catherine Zane 1789 in Ohio Co, WV, daughter of Ebenezer Zane and Elizabeth McCulloch. She was born June 17, 1769 in Redstone (Old Fort) Fayette Co, Pa, and died 1816 in Pease Twshp, Belmont Co, Ohio.
- from Louise Martin Mohler's book "The Martin family of America"
The first legal resident of the state of Ohio. Served in the American Revolution under his father and was a paymaster. had a most oustanding army career and then, came out to the West. Served as surveyor under Thomas Hutchins when the congress requested surveys of the Seven Ranges. After that completion, surveyed for the French at Gallipolis, Ohio. Then, assisted in surveying the Army Lands which reached almost to the present site of Columbus. His own land, near Wheeling, bordered the river and there he operated a ferry. His name appears in various official capacities in the new government, both local and state. Late in his career, in 1801 the Jefferson County sheriff was empowered to seize his property to pay a debt owed to a Robert Woods. He died shortly thereafter.
Notes for Absalom Martin:
Absalom was a Revolutionary War Veteran:
Paymaster 4th NJ, November 27, 1776
Lieutenant 1st NJ, November 2, 1777
Regimental Paymaster, February 1, 1779 to June 1783
Captain 6th NJ, January 1783 to close of war
Above from Historic Register, Officers of the Continental Army 1775-1783 by Heitman
Member of survey team to survey the 7 ranges in Ohio 1785-1787
Member of survey team to survey Zane's Trace (Wheeling to Maysville)
Original member of the "Society of Cincinnati"
Chronological Sequence of Recorded Events
1. 1758 - Born vicinity of Basking Ridge, Somerset County, New Jersey
2. Jan 3 1777 - Suffered broken arm during skirmish with British at Elizabethtown Farms while serving in NJ Continental Line under Col. Ephraim Martin, 4th Bat, 2nd Estab.
3. Feb 171777 - Appointed Paymaster, Col. Ephraim Martin's Regiment, 4th Est, 2nd Estab. NJ Continental Line.
4. Nov 2 1777 - Appointed Lieutenant and Paymaster, Col. Ephraim Martin's 4th Bat, 2nd Estab, NJ Continental Line.
5. Mar 26 1779 - Transferred as Lieutenant to Col. Mathias Ogden's 1st Rgt, 2nd Estab., NJ Continental Line, when NJ approved the arrangement by Congress reducing NJ quota from 4 regiments to 3 regiments.
6. Nov 1 1779 - Appointed Lieutenant and Paymaster, Col. Mathias Ogden's 1st Reg, 2nd Estab, NJ Continental Line
7. May1780 - Muster and Payroll reveals to be absent Reason given - wounded
8. Sept 1780 - Muster and Payroll reveals returned to Regiment.
9. Jan 6 1783 - Appointed Captain, Col Mathias Ogden's 1st Reg, 2nd Estab, NJ Continenal Line
10. Apr1783 - Retained as Captain, serving at NJ Command Office until end of war.
11. May 131783 - Society of the Cincinnati in the state of NJ formed, and Absalom Martin
appears as an original member.
12. Dec 1 1783 - Continental Army disbanded.
13. Sept 30 1785 - Gen. Richard Butler, on his mission to treat with Indians at Miami, in Fall of 1785, mentions in his journal, of meeting the U.S. Surveyors at the Penn. State Line, who were just then making a beginning for the "Survey of the Seven Ranges". Ordinance for the survey was passed by Congress May 20, 1785. Survey was
conducted by Thomas Hutchins, Geographer of the US, and Absalom Martin was the surveyor representing the State of NJ, along with the twelve others from the other states.
14. 1786 - Absalom Martin's field notes, in possession of the Engineering Office, Belmont County, St. Clairsville, Ohio reveal Absalom Martin surveyed lands in the "Survey of the Seven Ranges."
Children of Absalom Martin and Catherine Zane are:
37 i. Martha (Patty) Stites9 Martin, born Abt. 1793 in Piscataway, Middlesex Co, NJ; died 1810 in
Piscataway, Middlesex Co, NJ. She married Charles Williamson.
Notes for Martha (Patty) Stites Martin:
Notes: Martha died at seventeen years of age from an inoculation to prevent smallpox. In that day,
vaccination was comparatively a new discovery. To inoculate, the virus from a smallpox patient was used
after preparing the subject by proper diet and care. In the case of Martha, she took smallpox in violent form and could not recover. She was buried July 4, 1810. Added Charles Williamson as her spouse as I found it in an internet genealogy. She was only 17 and all my records show she was single. Need to research and/or inquire - Her birth location also came from this genealogy.
More About Martha (Patty) Stites Martin:
Burial: July 04, 1810
+ 38 ii. Ebenezer Martin, born November 09, 1791 in Martins Ferry, Ohio; died January 15, 1876 in Martins
Walnut Grove Cemetery
Created by: Sharon Brown
Record added: Apr 05, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 35553428
Father: Ephraim MARTIN
Mother: Martha SQUIRE
Burial: Walnut Grove Cemetery, Martins Ferry, Belmont, Ohio, USA
Partnership with: Catherine
Child: Ebenezer MARTIN Birth: 1791
Child: Jonathan MARTIN Birth: 1795, Belmont county, Ohio, USA
Roll Of Capt. Absalom Martin's Company
The following data is extracted from Roster Of Ohio Soldiers In The War Of 1812.
(From Guernsey or Belmont County)
Served from August 26, until November 12, 1812.
Capt. Absalom Martin
Lieut. Wyatt Hutchison
Ensign, James Shuman
Sergt. John Broton
Sergt. George Scadan
Sergt. Thomas Mullen
Sergt. William Israel
Corp. Christopher Donouer
Corp. James Edwards
Corp. Edward Davis
Corp. Henry Wolford
Drummer, Thomas DeBatnon
Fifer, Edward Milner
Source: Roster Of Ohio Soldiers In The War Of 1812
Capt. Absalom Martin's Timeline
Basking Ridge, Somerset, New Jersey, United States
November 9, 1791
Jefferson, Belmont , Ohio
Piscataway, Middlesex, NJ, USA
Belmont, Ohio, USA
Martins Ferry, Belmont, Ohio, United States
Martins Ferry, Belmont, Ohio, United States