Carl August Pistorius

Is your surname Pistorius?

Research the Pistorius family

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

About Carl August Pistorius

Carl August Pistorius (20), his four brothers and three sisters, his father Friedrich Heinrich and his uncle Maximilian Ernst Ludwig emigrated from Germany in 1838 on board the Cape Packet, and landed in the Cape before moving up to Natal.

Pistorius family had issues involving wooden doors - in 1844 Sapa | 16 April, 2014 11:53

More than a century before paralympian Oscar Pistorius appeared in court on a murder charge, a founder member of the Pistorius clan in South Africa earned himself a lesser degree of infamy in circumstances also involving a wooden door.

In 1844, Carel August Pistorius, one of five brothers who came out from Germany, bought land and built a farmhouse on the south bank of the Vaal River. He called it Maccauvlei.

The farm took its name from the large flocks of spur-winged geese - in Afrikaans, wildemakoue - that frequented the nearby wetlands.

According to the website of the Maccauvlei Golf Club, located across the river from present-day Vereeniging, Carel Pistorius's fierce misogyny and obdurate nature resulted in his being dubbed "Kwaai Angus" (Angry Angus) by his neighbours.

"This formidable character had a particular mistrust of women and cheques. His mistrust of women evinced by the fact that into his heavy wooden front door were carved the words 'Women Deceiveth Ever'."

Exactly 170 years later, Oscar Pistorius -- who may be descended from one of Carel's four brothers -- stood in the dock of the Pretoria High Court, defending himself against a murder charge after shooting through the wooden toilet door in his Pretoria townhouse.

The incident, which took place in the early hours of February 14 last year, resulted in the death of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp, who was standing behind the door when Pistorius fired four bullets into it.

Relatively little is known about Carel Pistorius, though his nickname lives on in the region at the Maccauvlei-on-Vaal Country Club and Conference Centre, which has a Kwaai Angus bar.

It is known he farmed sheep and planted many oak trees, and that he married and had six sons.

It is further recorded that he sold Maccauvlei to Sammy Marks in 1881, after 15 days of protracted negotiation involving the Randlord and his lawyer. Test diggings at Maccauvlei had revealed there were valuable coal deposits beneath the farm.

According to the golf club website: "[Pistorius] displayed a remarkable reticence to sell his homestead, which he intended to leave to his six sons.

"For 15 days, Marks and [his attorney, John] Fraser camped in a tent under the shade of some of the now substantial oak trees on the property, and negotiations were renewed daily with Pistorius."

But Kwaai Angus held out.

Fraser then advised Marks to offer him a sum of money large enough to buy a farm for each of his sons, and the finally agreed-to price was 15,500 pounds, provided this was "paid in gold coins, no cheques".

This was a huge sum to pay for a farm which at the time he bought it from the Free State government cost 400 pounds.

Parts of the old farmhouse Pistorius built back in 1844 may still exist, though the door is long gone.

"The original house was [on our property]," manager of the Maccauvlei-on-Vaal Lodge and Conference Centre, Lizinda Corbett, told Sapa.

"There are old houses here, and some people think one of them may be his, but nothing is proven."

Corbett confirmed the lodge had a Kwaai Angus bar, but it contained no portrait or photograph of its namesake. The adjacent Maccauvlei Golf Club once formed part of Pistorius's old farm.

According to local genealogy websites, many if not most members of the extended Pistorius family in South Africa today are descended from one or other of the five Pistorius brothers who arrived in the country in 1838.

view all 16

Carl August Pistorius's Timeline

December 21, 1817
Großrudestedt, Thuringia, Deutschland
May 16, 1843
February 12, 1845
Pietermaritzburg, Indlovu DC, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
January 2, 1847
Free State, South Africa
April 19, 1849
September 20, 1851
September 20, 1853
South Africa
June 24, 1856
August 27, 1859
Heilbron - Makouvlei, Oranje Vrystaat