Colonel John W. Colquitt (CSA)

Is your surname Colquitt?

Research the Colquitt family

Colonel John W. Colquitt (CSA)'s Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


About Colonel John W. Colquitt (CSA)

Clay County Courier Newspaper, Arkansas

Obit. For Colonel John W. Colquitt Friday, October 1, 1903

Colonel J. W. Colquitt, former Land Commissioner, died at his home in Little Rock September 24, 1903. Colonel Colquitt's death was due to illness attributed to wounds received in the Civil War. In accordance with his dying wish, he was clothed in a suit of Confederate gray and his remains interred in the Confederate Cemetery at Little Rock.

Colonel John W. Colquitt was born in Columbus, Muscogee County, Ga. October 28, 1840. He received his early education in the Columbus schools and at the age of 19 graduated from the Georgia Military Institute. The following year, 1860, he came to Arkansas, and in 1861 located in Drew County, where he taught school until the outbreak of the war.

He enlisted that year in the Confederate Army in the Monticello Guards, which became Company I, First Arkansas Regiment, Colonel James F. Fagan commanding. The young soldier was made Second Lieutenant of his company. As soon as the Regiment was formed it was mustered directly into the Confederate Army and moved to Lynchburg, Virginia. The first battle in which Colonel Colquitt participated was that of Manassas, his Regiment supporting Walker's Artillery. After the battle of Evansport the Regiment went into Winter Quarters at Acquia Creek in September, 1861.

The time of enlistment expiring, the whole Regiment re-enlisted under the same name and number and rendezvoused at Corinth under Generals Johnson and Beauregard, and Colonel James F. Fagan was again chosen Colonel. Second Lieutenant Colquitt of Company I was chosen Major. This was but a short time before the battle of Shiloh, in which the Regiment participated and lost nearly 400 men. Major Colquitt was severely wounded late in the action of the first day and was given a furlough and sent to his old home in Georgia to recuperate. While en route he was captured on the train by the Federals and made a prisoner at Huntsville, Alabama. Though compelled to go on crutches Major Colquitt escaped from prison and rejoined the Regiment at Tupelo, Mississippi. Colonel Fagan having been promoted to be Brigadier General and Lieutenant Colonel Thompson having been killed, Major Colquitt was promoted to Colonel of the Regiment. After rejoining the Regiment Colonel Colquitt commanded it in every battle, fifteen in number, from July 1, 1862 to the battle of Atlanta, July 22, 1864, when he was desperately wounded, losing his right foot. After this he was out of the Army for two months. When he again reported for duty he was assigned to post duty at West Point, Mississippi, where he remained until the surrender.

view all

Colonel John W. Colquitt (CSA)'s Timeline

Age 63