Erastus Bingham, Sr.

Is your surname Bingham?

Research the Bingham family

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Erastus Bingham, Sr.

Birthplace: Concord, Essex, Vermont, USA
Death: May 02, 1882 (84)
Lynn, Weber County, Utah Territory, United States
Place of Burial: Ogden, Weber County, Utah, United States
Immediate Family:

Son of Elisha Warner Bingham and Sarah or Sally Perry
Husband of Emma Nye; Katherine Mehitable Sawyer; Patience Perkins; Lucinda Gates; Genet Gates and 1 other
Father of Warner Bingham; Mary Freeman Snow Farr; Sanford Bingham, Sr.; Erastus Bingham, Jr; Thomas Bingham and 6 others
Brother of Perry Bingham; Warner Bingham; Tyler Bingham; Tracy Bingham; Elisha Bingham and 6 others

Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:

About Erastus Bingham, Sr.

Biographical Summary #1:

"...Erastus Bingham, born in Concord, Essex, Vermont, 12 March 1798, son of Elisha Warner and Sarah (Perry) Bingham; died in Ogden, Weber, Utah, 2 May 1882; buried in Ogden.


  1. He married in St. Johnsbury, Caledonia, Vermont, 20 March 1818, Lucinda Gates, born in Ackworth, Cheshire, New Hampshire, 19 September 1797; died in Ogden, 3 January 1874, daughter of Thomas and Patty (Plumly) Gates. Additionally, as a polygamist, Erastus married...
  2. Patience Perkins (1783-1862) in Salt Lake, 4 April 1852,
  3. Sally Maria Barber (1811- ) in Salt Lake, 7 April 1853
  4. Mehitable Sawyer (1806-1886) in Salt Lake, 11 September 1857
  5. Emma Nye (1837- ) in Salt Lake, 13 December 1862.

When he married Lucinda Gates, Erastus had a farm in Concord, where he and his bride resided and where the first four of his children were born. About 1825, the family removed to Littleton, Grafton County, New Hampshire. Lucinda and Louisa Maria were born there in 1826 and 1828, after which the family returned to the farm in Concord.

Erastus had no formal affiliation with any religion until spring 1833, when Elder John F. Boynton brought him word of the "restored gospel." He read the Book of Mormon, was converted, and was baptized 11 November 1833, in St. Johnsbury, Vermont, together with his wife and three of his children. A fourth child, Sanford, was baptised there on 18 November. Erastus was the only one of his father's family to join the Church, but his wife's father and her brother, Jacob, also joined. In spring 1836 Erastus sold his farm, and in the following June he traveled with his family (accompanied by Willard Snow and others) to Kirtland, Ohio. The family stayed there until September, 1836, then continued the journey to Far West, Missouri, arriving on 4 November 1836. Erastus rented a farm on Shoal Creek, about two and a half miles from Far West, and built a log house, into which he moved his family. The following spring he fenced his farm, which he cultivated until Fall 1838, when Governor Lilburn W. Boggs issued the exterminating order that forced him and the rest of the Saints to leave Missouri. At Far West, in January 1839, Church leaders named Erastus a member of the committee to orchestrate the exodus. Other members of this committee were John Taylor, Alanson Ripley, Brigham Young, Theodore Turley, Heber C. Kimball, John Smith, Don Carlos Smith, Elias Smith, Stephen Markham, and James Newberry. "On motion of President Brigham Young," says the record, "it was resolved that we this day enter into a covenant to stand by and assist each other to the utmost of our abilities in removing from this State, and that we will never desert the poor, who are worthy, till they shall be out of the reach of the exterminating order of General Clark, acting for and in the name of the State."

Leaving Far West toward the end of March, Erastus and his family arrived in Hancock County, Illinois, in April, 1839. He rented farms in the neighborhood of LaHarpe until Spring 1845, when he bought a 160-acre farm a few miles from Nauvoo. The following year, when the resumption of mob violence compelled the Saints to leave Illinois, as they had Missouri, Erastus exchanged his farm for a team of horses with which he could take his family into the wilderness. He left Nauvoo on 6 May 1846. He and his family suffered greatly from exposure and lack of proper food during the trip to Winter Quarters in Iowa (now Council Bluffs), but when they finally arrived they found that food and provisions were very scarce in that place as well, and as there were so many others there who were less fortunate than they, they decided to move on to a place where the necessities of life could be found. They ended up 150 miles north of Winter Quarters, at Swift River [Running Water], where they wintered with the Ponca Indians, living in their wagons and a wickiup the friendly Indians provided for them. The family returned to Winter Quarters the following spring. In June 1847, Erastus purchased additional provisions, equipment, and supplies and joined the second company to leave for the west (the Daniel Spencer Company). This company arrived in Salt Lake Valley on 19 September 1847, and Erastus made a home for his wife and children in Salt Lake City. In Spring 1848, he was alotted a farm in the Holiday district and acquired a grazing permit for an area about twenty miles southwest of Salt Lake, now known as Bingham Canyon. There he erected a herd house.

In 1850, Brigham Young called upon Erastus to help build new settlements in the North (Weber County). Thus, in early April, Erastus went with his son Sanford and son-in-law Isaac Newton Goodale to the Weber river, where he staked out a farm and built a house. This farm was located on property now occupied by city and county offices. In September, when Brigham Young chose this location as site for a city to be named "Ogden," Erastus sold his claim and moved to the vicinity of Farr's Fort, north of the Ogden river. There, he laid out another farm and built another house for his family. When the Weber Stake was organized, Sunday, 25 January 1851, Ogden was divided into two wards, with Erastus Bingham serving as Bishop of Ogden North Ward (Farr's Fort). The following Spring, Erastus relocated with his family to a parcel of land northwest of Farr's Fort. There, sometime between 1851 and 1853, Bishop Bingham began construction of a fort (Bingham's Fort) to protect his family and other settlers from the depredations of hostile Indians. This fort was located in what is now known as the Lynn district, north of Second Street and west of Wall Avenue in Ogden.

Meanwhile, on 28 January 1850, the General Assembly of the territory created Weber County encompassing "all that portion of country known as Weber Valley, extending as far south as Stony Creek, and west to the Great Salt Lake." However, the organization of a civil government there awaited the appointment of Isaac Clark as Probate Judge on 7 February 1852. On 1 April that year, Clark named Erastus Bingham one of three selectmen for the County. In its first session, on 24 April, the County Court named "supervisors" for the various settlements, designating Erastus Bingham supervisor for "Ogden Settlement North of Ogden River." In the first municipal election, October 1852, Lorin Farr emerged as mayor of Ogden; Erastus Bingham, as one of the four aldermen. In June 1856, when the County was divided into four Wards, Erastus Bingham was named Bishop of the First Ward. He served in that capacity until released, in 1868, on account of age and ill-health. Erastus also served a term as representative of Weber County in the first Territorial legislature, which convened in December 1854.

Bingham's Fort, with walls built of rock and mud to a height of about twelve feet, enclosed an area 120 by 60 rods. By the end of 1854, Bingham's Fort had a population of 732. But the following year, when Brigham Young visited the stronghold, he advised the residents to abandon it to build a "real city" south of the Fort, on the site he had previously chosen for the City of Ogden. Though he continued to operate his farm in the Lynn district (Bingham's Fort), Erastus acquired property in Ogden (at what is now 23rd and Madison), where he build another home for his family. In 1858, with the approach of Johnston's Army, Erastus moved his family to Payson, Utah, but left his son Thomas and son-in-law Isaac Goodale behind with orders to "burn everything" if it looked as if Johnston's Army would try to bivouac in the city. When the threat passed, Erastus and his family returned to Ogden.

In 1859, Erastus applied to the U. S. Department of the Interior for a pension due to him as guardian of his grandson, Elijah Norman Freeman, Jr. Elijah's father died 28 November 1847 while in service in the Mexican war as a member of the Mormon Battalion.

Children of Erastus BINGHAM and Lucinda GATES:

1) Mary Bingham, born in Saint Johnsbury, 1 April 1820; died in Ogden at the home of her daughter, Mary (Snow) Boyle, 25 September 1893. Married (1) Elijah Norman Freeman, 1843 or 1844, in Nauvoo, (2) Willard Snow, and (3) Lorin Farr. Elijah Norman Freeman was born 17 April 1822 in Vermont, son of Isaac F. and Lydia Freeman. He married Mary in Hancock, Illinois, and shortly after they removed to Nauvoo, where Elijah spent much of his time laboring on the Temple. Elijah and Mary left Nauvoo in 1846 with eighteen-month-old Elijah, Jr. (born in LaHarpe, 20 May 1845; married Anna Maria Poulson in Salt Lake, 11 March 1872, and Mary Ellen Farley in Salt Lake, 24 April 1876; died in Salt Lake, 14 March 1936). They had traveled in Daniel Spencer's company as far as Council Bluffs, Iowa, where Elijah joined the Mormon Battalion as a member of Company "B." Placed to work among the sick, he soon became ill himself and passed away in New Mexico, 28 November 1846. He was buried four miles south of Secoro, on the Rio Grande.

Mary married her second husband, Willard Snow, in 1849. On 9 February 1850, she gave birth to a daughter, Mary (married John Adam Boyle in Salt Lake, 9 April 1867; died in Ogden, 1 August 1920). In 1852, church authorities called upon Willard to preside over the Scandinavian mission. Shortly after his departure, Mary gave birth to a son, Alma, who died soon after his birth. Willard, having become ill during his mission, died 21 August 1853, while in transit from Denmark to England. He was buried at sea.

Mary's third husband, Lorin Farr, son of Winslow Farr and Olive Hovey Freeman, was born in Waterford, Vermont, 27 July 1820. He was also a member of Daniel Spencer's Company. He took Mary as his fourth (polygamous) wife in Salt Lake City, 2 December 1854 (or 1853). By this union, Mary had three sons, all born in Ogden: (1) Willard, born 5 July 1856, married Mary Ballantyne and Mary Ann Ronney; died in Pheonix, Maricopa, Arizona, 18 November 1951; (2) Erastus, born 14 May 1859, died 28 June 1859; (3) Isaac Farwell, born in Ogden, 23 May 1860; married Isabel Poulter in Salt Lake, 23 February 1882; died in Ogden, 8 March 1935. Lorin Farr was first president of Weber stake and president of the high priests' quorum in 1850-51. He erected the first grist and saw mills in Weber county; was a member first territorial legislature from Weber county, and represented Box Elder county from the time of the organization of the territory until 1887. He was the first mayor of Ogden 1851-70 (re-elected in 1877) and served on a mission to Europe in 1870. Prominent in the building of railroads, he supervised the grading of the Central Pacific line for two hundred miles west of Ogden and also the construction of the Utah Northern from Ogden to Brigham City. Lorin had five wives in all: Nancy B. Chase (1 January 1845) by whom he had eleven children; Sarah Giles (26 July 1851), nine children; Olive Ann Jones (28 February 1852), seven children; Mary; and Nicheline Erickson (29 January 1857), six children. He died in Ogden, 12 January 1909.

2) Sanford Bingham, born in Concord, 3 May 1821, married (1) Martha Ann Lewis and (2) Agnes Ann Fife, daughter of Adam and Helen (Sharp) Fife.

3) Erastus Bingham, born in Concord, 30 September 1822; died in Tucson, Pima, Arizona, 5 April 1906; buried in Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona. Married, first, 29 October 1843, Olive Hovey Freeman, daughter of Isaac F. and Lydia Freeman. Olive was born in Waterford, Vermont, 8 January 1820; she died 22 July 1905. Children: (1) Olive Louise, born in La Harpe, 3 October 1844, married William Holmes Walker in Salt Lake, 30 August 1858; died in Lewisville, Jefferson, Idaho, 12 September 1921; (2) Erastus Perry, born in LaHarpe, 20 March 1846, married Emeline Clarissa Allen in Salt Lake, 21 February 1870; died in Ogden, 28 March 1912. (3) Lucinda Marie, born in Salt Lake, 1 June 1848, married William Foy in Ogden, 24 December 1862; died in Grand Junction, Mesa, Colorado, 27 February 1924. (4) Lydia Roxina, born in Salt Lake, 6 January 1850, married George Tye Lish in Ogden, 3 March 1865; died in Pocatello, Bannock, Idaho, April 1936; (5) Isaac Farwell, born 20 September 1852, died November 1853; (6) Mary Ann, born in Bingham's Fort, 9 February 1854, married Peter C. Geertsen in Salt Lake, 21 August 1871; died in Ogden, 15 June 1941; (7) Lorenzo Freeman, born in Bingham's Fort, 7 December 1855, married Rebecca Guthrie, 15 April 1884; died in Ogden, 1 November 1938; (8) Diana, born in Ogden, 19 July 1857, married William G. Smith, 7 August 1876; died in Ogden, 11 December 1935; (9) Ophalia Cedenia, born in Ogden, 19 August 1859, married William Foy in Saint George, Washington, Utah, 22 October 1882; died in Moab, Grand, Utah, 29 May 1936.

On 15 November 1855, Erastus, Jr., took for his second wife Susan Green, born 5 August 1837 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, died 22 March 1922, daughter of Benjamin P. and Lucy (Wisdom) Green. Children: (1) Susan Melvina, born in Ogden, 23 November 1856, married Winslow Farr in Salt Lake, 5 May 1873; died in El Paso, El Paso, Texas, 6 November 1903; (2) Nephi, born 9 April 1858; married Elizabeth Dolkin in Silver City, New Mexico, 31 July 1887; died in Bingham, Pima, Arizona, 2 August 1916; (3) Lucy Ann, born in Huntsville, 5 March 1860, married Joseph Wheeler in Salt Lake, 14 March 1878; died in Hurricane, Washington, Utah, 15 July 1930; (4) Marintha Eltharia, born in Slaterville, Weber, Utah, 26 May 1861; married Stewart Eccles in Salt Lake, 14 March 1878; died in Salt Lake, 12 May 1948. (5) Edda, born in Bingham's Fort (Lynn), 21 January 1863; died 26 January; (6) Enoch, born in Ogden, 7 March 1864, married Maria Slater in Ogden, 7 June 1883; (7) Daniel, born in Ogden, 7 March 1864, married Eliza Adeline Hoover in Silver City, New Mexico, 8 April 1886; died in Tucson, 17 June 1940. (8) Harriet Adeltha, born in Huntsville, 2 November 1865; married Joseph Edward Wheeler in Salt Lake, 10 October 1881; died at Waterflow Jewett, San Juan, New Mexico, 6 June 1920; (9) Mary Jane, born and died 28 April 1867 in Huntsville; (10) Erastus Alma, born in Huntsville, 28 September 1868, married Susan Annie Lords, 2 January 1888; died in Provo, Utah, Utah, 11 October 1955; (11) Violetta May, born in Huntsville, 30 May 1870, married John Jesse Holt in Teasdale, Wayne, Utah, 22 May 1890; died in Richfield, Sevier, Utah, 16 November 1946; (12) Benjamin Wisdom, born in Huntsville, 11 January 1872; died 11 March 1879; (13) Myrtle Adell, born in Huntsville, 2 September 1873; died 30 April 1877; (14) Clara Isabella, born in Huntsville, 29 August 1876; married Joseph Woods, 9 March 1909; (15) Rozina [Zina] Diantha, born in Huntsville, 21 July 1878, married James R. McGee; (16) Jacob Moroni, born in Huntsville, 4 November 1881; married Frances Levina Harris in Tucson, 3 January 1901.

When the exodus from Nauvoo began in 1846, leaders of the church called upon Erastus, Jr., to make the roads, build the bridges, and plant the crops the Saints would need in their trek across Iowa. His wife, Olive and his two small children joined him in Council Bluffs, with the main body of the Church, just in time to hear the call for the "Mormon Battalion." Erastus Jr., his brother Thomas, and Elijah Freeman (his sister's husband/ wife's brother) all enlisted, leaving their families in the care of Erastus, Sr., and Lucinda. In Santa Fe, Erastus joined Captain James Brown's detachment, which wintered in Pueblo, Colorado, caring for the sick. The following spring, the detachment cut across the mountains to find the pioneer trail (near Fort Laramie), which they followed into Salt Lake Valley, arriving a few days after Brigham Young and his company. In 1848 Erastus and his brothers discovered the mineral wealth of Bingham Canyon but, on the advice of Brigham Young, did not attempt mining it. In 1849, Erastus and his brother Willard traveled to the gold fields of California, but returned without the anticipated riches. In Ogden, where he settled in 1851, Erastus was president of the 38th Quorum of Seventies. In 1858, having served in the Mormon Battalion and then in the state militia, Erastus was called to serve again, with the rank of Major, in the Echo Canyon campaign against Johnston's Army. In 1860, Erastus took his second wife, Susan, and her two small children to Slaterville, where he farmed and herded cattle. In 1861, he traded his property in Ogden for a place in Slaterville with two houses: one for Susan, the other for Olive. When a severe flood the following year destroyed one of these houses, Erastus sold the property and bought a farm in Ogden. Later he moved both his families to Ogden Valley, where he build a double two-story house of logs, near the town site of Huntsville. There, he served as president of the 75th Quorum. In 1873 he went on a short-term mission to Saint Johnsbury, Vermont, where he preached the gospel to many of his cousins. About 1879, he purchased a farm at the mouth of South Fork Canyon and removed his shingle mill from Wheeler Basin to White Pines. He sold the large home in Huntsville; moved Susan and her family into the new home at South Fork, and Olive into the smaller Huntsville home that belonged to his brother, Thomas. The following year, however, Olive went to live with her children in Rabbit Valley (southeastern Utah), and on account of the prosecutions then under way for polygamy, Erastus moved with Susan and her younger children first to Wayne County, Utah, then to Macious, Colorado, and finally to Tucson Arizona, where he died.

4) Thomas Bingham, born in Concord, 19 July 1824; died in Maeser, Uintah, Utah, 31 December 1889; buried in Vernal, Uintah, Utah, 6 January 1890. Married in Salt Lake, 6 September 1849, Caron [Karen] Happock Holladay, President Brigham Young officiating. Children: (1) Thomas, Jr., born in Ogden, 12 August 1850, married Mary Elizabeth Gfroerer (Salt Lake, 1 June 1874) and her twin sister, Margaret Louisa (Salt Lake, 25 October 1875); incarcerated for polygamy, 1892; died in Maeser, 23 January 1945; (2) Mary, born in San Bernardino, San Bernardino, California, 18 September 1852, married Mark Moroni Hall in Huntsville, 12 January 1877, and Philip Stringham, 21 December 1907; died in Maeser, 30 July 1936; (3) Lucinda Katherine, born in San Bernardino, 3 November 1854, married Charles Ashton Nye in Salt Lake, 2 August 1875; died in Vernal, 12 January 1918; (4) David Holladay, born in Ogden, 19 August 1857, m. Harriette Perry in Mountain Dell, Uintah, Utah, 22 February 1882; died in McGrath, Alberta, Canada, 1 August 1952; (5) Charles Colson Rich, born in Huntsville, 12 June 1860, married Mary Louisa Holden in Logan, Cache, Utah, 5 May 1886, and Mary Mickleson [Michelson]; died in Shelley, Bingham, Idaho, 5 February, 1942; (6) Phoebe Karen, born in Ogden, 4 June 1862; married George W. Hislop in Salt Lake, 11 October 1878; died in Vernal, 9 February 1929; (7) Elzada, born in Ogden, 21 April 1864, died 26 March 1867; (8) Martha Alice, born in Huntsville, 1 October 1866, married Don Carlos Perry in Mountain Dell, 24 December 1883; died in Portland, Multnomah, Oregon, 15 April 1930; (9) Clara, born in Huntsville, 25 October 1868, died 3 November 1869; (10) Tracy Tyler, born in Huntsville, 24 October 1871, died 27 March 1872.

Much of the history of Thomas and his family is succinctly related in the following "tribute" to his wife:

"Karen Happoch Holladay was born May 4, 1830, at [Mosco,] Marion county, Alabama, the daughter of John Holladay and Catherine B. Higgins. When she was fourteen years of age she was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She came on the westward trek with her parents, brothers and sisters being then in her seventeenth year. It is claimed that she rode most of the way on horseback. While the Mississippi company was stationed at Fort Pueblo, Karen became acquainted with Thomas Bingham, a private in Company B of the Mormon Battalion. Two years after her arrival in Utah she was married to him on September 6, 1849, and soon after the young couple moved to Ogden, where they established their first home. In March 1851, they were called to go with a company of Saints to help establish the settlement of San Bernardino, California where they remained until the spring of 1855, returning to their former home in Ogden. In the spring of 1856 her husband was called on a mission to the Salmon River Indians where he served two years and during this time she was left with the responsibility of caring for their three children. Her family was with those who went south during the Johnston army episode. In the spring of 1862 the Bingham family helped to establish Huntsville in Ogden Canyon and, in the fall of 1877, moved to Ashley Valley, locating first on the Green River; then, in the spring of 1878, they moved to Dry Fork (Mountain Dell), north of Vernal, where they resided for several years. In the fall of 1884 they moved to Mill Ward now Maeser Ward. Her husband died December 31, 1889. Through the years she remained a faithful Latter-day Saint and for many years was a Relief Society teacher. She was the mother of ten children all of whom lived in Ashley Valley the greater part of their lives. After the death of her husband she made her home with her daughters, Mary Hall Stringham and Phoebe C. Hyslop. She passed away at the home of the latter January 18, 1915."

On 16 July 1846, with brother Erastus and brother-in-law Elijah N. Freeman, Thomas enlisted in the Mormon Battalion. He traveled with the battalion some distance beyond Santa Fe, New Mexico, that year, but was sent to Pueblo, Colorado, with the second sick detachment, under command of Lieutenant W. W. Willis. The following spring, while en route to Fort Laramie, Captain Brown sent thirteen men on ahead, including Thomas, in pursuit of thieves and the horses they had stolen at Pueblo. This advance party, having recovered all but one of the stolen horses, joined with the Brigham Young Company on the banks of the Green River. Thus was Thomas among the first saints, numbering 159 in all, to reach Salt Lake, 29 July 1847. With his brothers, Erastus and Sanford, Thomas tended Bingham livestock at the mouth of Bingham Canyon. In 1850, he took his new wife to Ogden, where he had his first child. In late Summer, 1851, Thomas answered the call to go with Apostle Charles C. Rich and Amasa Lyman to establish, at Rancho de San Bernardino, a "stronghold for the gathering of the Saints in California." He stayed in San Bernardino with his family until 1855. There, with Justus Morse and a Mr. Joyce, he built the Salamander sawmill on Huston Creek, but subsequently sold his interest in this operation to Bishop Crosby. Thomas returned to Ogden with his family in May 1855. In March 1856, he answered a call to serve in the ill-fated Salmon River Mission (Fort Lemhi, Idaho). There he labored among the "Lamanites" until 1858. From the Journal of Jacob Miller, we learn that the missionaries returned to their homes in Utah each winter, and that Thomas served as "Acting President" of the mission from time to time. In 1858, with the approach of Johnston's Army, Thomas relocated his family to Payson, Utah. In 1859, President Young gave him permission to seek gold in California, on condition that he use the proceeds for the benefit of the Church. He had no more success in this venture than his brothers Erastus and Willard had a decade before. Returning to Northern Utah, Thomas helped settle, perhaps as early as 1861, but certainly by 1862, the village of Huntsville, where he served as counselor to Bishops Jefferson Hunt and Francis A. Hammond. He operated a lumber mill in or about Huntsville, in partnership with his brother Willard, until 1877, when he relocated with his family to Ashley Valley. Meanwhile, in 1868, he entered into a contract with his brother-in-law, Lorin Farr, to grade two miles of road for the transcontinental railroad.

Thomas, as first presiding elder of Ashley Valley, established a branch of the Church there under direction of the Wasatch Stake. Within two years, there were in the valley three distinct settlements: Ashely Center (Vernal), Mountain Dell on Dry Creek, and Incline (Jensen) on the Green River. The territorial legislature created Uintah County in 1880. The first meeting of the County Court was held on 3 March 1880, with Thomas Bingham as selectman. At the first election, in August 1881, Thomas was elected Probate Judge, an office he held for five years. The following month, September 1881, he was ordained bishop of Mountain Dell. In 1884, the family removed to Mill Ward (Maeser), where Thomas died.

5) Lucinda Bingham, born in Littleton, 18 April 1826; died 30 March 1894 in Port Townsend, Jefferson, Washington. She married Lorin Brown Hastings, 1844, in LaHarpe, where she remained until 23 April 1847, when the family set out for Oregon. Her children: (1) Oregon Columbus, born in LaHarpe, 26 April 1846; married Matilda Birch; died in Victoria [British Columbia?], 5 August 1912; (2) Frank W., born in Port Townsend, 12 November 1848; married Mabel Littlefield in Port Townsend, 14 May 1872; died 9 February 1935; (3) Maria C., born in Portland, Oregon, 24 December 1850; married David Littlefield; (4) Lorin [Loren] Bingham, born in Port Townsend, 18 July 1853; married Emma Littlefield, 1877; died 16 January 1945 [1946]; (5) Josephine, born in Portland, 8 January 1858, died 1 November 1864; (7) Jessica, born in Port Townsend, 21 January 1860; married Anson Allen, 2 December 1878, and Thomas H. Craig, 26 May 1897; died 8 January 1935; (8) Warren Irwin, born 29 January 1863; married Hessie Cox; d. 22 May 1896.

6) Maria Louisa Bingham, born in Littleton, 23 June 1828; died 31 in Ogden, October 1893; buried in Ogden, 3 November 1893. She married Isaac Newton Goodale in Salt Lake, 17 January 1849, Brigham Young officiating. She had thirteen children of her own. In addition, she raised two daughters of Isaac's second wife, Emma Smith Foy, who died 4 August 1869. Isaac was born in Berkshire, Tioga, New York, 6 February 1815, and died in Ogden, 29 April 1890. He was Ogden city councilman for fifteen years, and school trustee for twenty years. He supervised the construction of the Ogden Bench Canal and the road through Ogden Canyon to Bear Lake. By Maria, he had these children: (1) Maria, born in Salt Lake, 26 November 1849; married Horatio Bardwell Scoville in Salt Lake, 25 October 1867; died in Ogden, 5 October 1914; (2) Louise, born in Ogden, 7 February 1851; married Thomas Wilkins Jones in Salt Lake, 2 March 1874; died in Ogden, 12 December 1924; (3) Isaac, born in Ogden, 30 August 1852; died 16 September 1853; (4) Newton, born in Bingham's Fort, 3 October 1853; died 14 October 1853; (5) Joseph, born in Ogden, 7 December 1854; died unmarried, 6 January 1941; (6) Hyram, born in Bingham's Fort, 6 July 1856; married Sarah Jane Etherington in Salt Lake, 30 June 1881; died in Ogden, 16 June 1934; (7) Erastus, born in Ogden, 8 May 1858; died unmarried, 10 March 1941; (8) Electa, born in Ogden, 4 February 1860; died unmarried, 19 May 1946; (9) Lucinda, born in Ogden, 28 September 1861; died unmarried, 19 June 1879; (10) Mary, born in Ogden, 14 April 1863; died 18 October 1876; (11) Martha, born in Ogden, 10 February 1865; married Weston Louis Buswell, 23 June 1891; died 19 November 1943; (12) Joshua, born in Ogden, 12 November 1866; died unmarried, 25 June 1933; (13) Edith, born in Ogden, 13 March 1869; died unmarroed, 24 December 1941.

7) Willard Bingham, born in Concord, 19 February 1830; died 19 March 1913 in Smithfield, Cache, Utah; buried in Ogden, Weber, Utah. He married Jennet [Genet] Gates in Salt Lake, 29 April 1853. Born 12 January 1836, she was the daughter of Samuel and Lydia (Downer) Gates. By her, Willard had fifteen children: (1) Flora Genet, born in Ogden, 16 May 1854, married Levi J. Taylor in Salt Lake, 3 February 1873; died in Harrisville, Weber, Utah, 9 or 10 August 1940; (2) Willard, born in Ogden, 30 October 1855, married Cynthia Ann Melissa Shurtliff in Salt Lake, 5 November 1876, and Elizabeth McFarland in Salt Lake, 28 February 1878; died in Wilson, Weber, Utah, 26 June 1884; had four children by each of his two wives; (3) Josephine born in Wilson, 9 May 1857, married Levi J. Taylor, Sr., in Salt Lake, 30 November 1874; died in Harrisville, 11 July 1920; Flora and Josephine gave Levi twenty-two children altogether; (4) Jedediah Grant, born in Ogden, 6 October 1858; married Margaret McCormick Peterson in Salt Lake, 8 May 1879; died in Ogden, 19 January 1889; (5) Parley Pratt, born in Ogden, 30 December 1859, married Margaret McFarland in Salt Lake, 8 May 1879, and Isabelle McFarland in Mexico, 15 April 1896; had twelve children by the first wife, ten by the second; died in Smithfield, Cache, Utah, 11 April 1933; (6) Ida, born in Slaterville, Weber, Utah, 9 February 1861; married William Lake, 27 March 1879; died in Ogden, 13 August 1881; (7) Elijah, born in Ogden, 2 June 1862, married Jennie Lind Wilson in Salt Lake, 17 January 1884; died in Blackfoot, Bingham, Idaho, 27 July 1940; (8) Elisha Gates, born in Slaterville, 2 June 1862, married Emma Bonnerud in Salt Lake, 13 January 1881; died in Ogden, 12 May 1942; (9) Ezra, born in Ogden, 7 July 1864, married Annie Shurtliff in Logan, 18 March 1885; died in Ogden, 24 February 1900; (10) Erastus La Grand, born in Ogden, 17 February 1866; died of accidental shooting, 28 July 1875; (11) Lydia Maria, born in Huntsville, 29 February 1868; died 27 September 1869; (12) Lucinda, born Huntsville, 13 March 1870, married Peter Stephenson in Logan, 2 February 1887; died in Ogden, 9 November 1926; (13) Zilpha Isadore, born in Huntsville, 14 October 1871; died 20 September 1879; (14) Nancy Jane, born in Wilson, 19 April 1876; married David Rawson in Salt Lake, 26 September 1895; died in Oakland, Alameda, California, 13 March 1957; (15) Emmaretta, born in Wilson, 16 July 1878; married Joseph Horace Rawson in Salt Lake, 15 December 1899, and Charles William Hancock in Salt Lake, 7 December 1915; died in Oakland, California, 15 February 1966.

By his second wife, Amanda Melvina Snow, daughter of Willard and Amanda (Harvey) Snow, Willard had ten children: (1) Willard Eugene, born 3 October 1856, married Hannah McFarland; (2) Amanda Melvina, born 30 August 1858, died 25 April 1862; (3) Wilford, born 14 October 1860; died 23 September 1862; (4) Rosetta, born 23 September 1862, married Philip Dance; (5) Susan, born 1 December 1864, married Charles Gates Cazier; (6) Mary Ellen, born 25 November 1866; married Louis Kendall Bitton; (7) Rebecca, born 13 April 1869; married George James Bitton; (8) Florence Adelaide, born 19 April 1871, married Nels Peter Lee; (9) Tyler, born 1 October 1873, married Christina Thompson; and (10) Isabel, born 4 December 1875, married Carl Erickson and Philip Dance. By his third, Clara Elizabeth Smith, he had eleven children: (1) Clara, born 25 November 1890, married Ernest Deppi; (2) William, born and died 30 April 1892; (3) Willard, born 28 June 1893; married Mary Bright; (4) Leroy, born 6 January 1895, married Frances Christianson; (5) Adella, born 26 December 1896, married Hazen R. Hurst; (6) Thomas, born 8 May 1899, married Esther Baker; (7) Uvada, born 21 September 1901; married Archie Jarrard; (8) Hyrum S., born 23 March 1904; married Nellie E. Hoffer; (9) Viola, born 9 January 1908; married Vernon Scrowthers; (10) Leah, born 12 January 1908; married Vernal Horn; and (11) Eldon S., born 21 March 1910; married Helen Baker.

Willard was in the goldfields of California in 1849 with his brother Erastus and Albert King Thurber. While on a mission to California in 1857, he was sent into the goldfields again to raise money for printing the Book of Mormon, but was recalled to Utah in 1858 to opposed Johnston's Army. He returned to the goldfields with his brother Thomas in 1859. On his return from California in 1860, Willard took up residence in Weber County, first in Huntsville, where he operated shingle and lumber mills with his brother Thomas. Having purchased his borther's share of the mill, he moved in 1878 to Monte Cristo. About that time, he sold his interests in Huntsville and acquired land in Wilson, four miles west of Ogden, and in the Cache Valley, near what is now Trenton. In 1890 he married his third wife, Clara Smith of Smithfield, and took her to Mexico. When he returned to Utah, he sold his property in Wilson and settled in Smithfield.

8) Edwin Bingham, born in Concord, 5 May 1832; died in Ogden, 25 February 1903; buried in Ogden. Married Phoebe Jane Burk in Salt Lake, 28 December 1854. Edwin built a house and did some farming in Lynn (Bingham's Fort) after his marriage, but removed to Ogden in 1857, where he bought some city lots, worked at various occupations, and became drum major in the brass band. He removed to Parowan, Iron County, Utah, in or before 1859, but stayed there only two years before moving again, to Minersville, Beaver County, Utah, where he homesteaded some land. While his family tended the farm, Edwin continued to work in various occupations: a failed livestock operation, freighting, manufacture of shoes and buggy whips. He also taught dancing, for which he furnished the music. Phoebe Jane operated a small store in her house and made clothes and gloves for her neighbors. About 1868 or 1869, Edwin went to Egan Canyon in White Pine County, where he bought a ranch and built a toll gate. He subsequently removed to Horse Shoe bend, where he bought yet another ranch and supplied water, milk, butter, and eggs to residents of the North Star Mining Camp. He removed to Milford for a time, and there operated a boarding house for workers at the Ten Stamp Quartz Mill. Returning to the ranch at Horseshoe Bend, he opened a Stage Station, on the route between Beaver and the Frisco Mining Camp. His eldest sons hauled ore from the Cave Mine to Frisco during this time, but when the Quartz Mill closed, they returned to Milford where they operated a successful hotel known as Bingham House. In time (our sources of information are woefully ambigous about dates) Edwin returned to Ogden, where he engaged in farming. During this time he invented a washing machine (of which he sold a few) and a tire tightener. He next worked as a traveling salesman in Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming, and finally engaged in the development and sale of patent medicines, known as Bingham's compounds. While engaged in this endeavor, he sold his ranch at Horseshoe Bend and bought a house in Ogden. He and Phoebe Jane had eight children: (1) Edwin Florentine, born 26 September 1855; married Jane Stoddard; (2) Bertrand Artello, born 25 February 1857; married Derinda Stephens; (3) Phebe K., born 2 March 1859; married Albert C. Wilson; (4) Ida E., born 13 September 1861; married Woodley Taylor; (5) May Lucinda, born 10 April 1865, married James Edward Shipp; (6) Inez T., born 23 August 1871, married Thomas Bingham, Paul Schuh, and Michael Giblin; (7) Henry D., born 17 January 1867, married Bertha Hubbs and Agnes Friday; (8) Cora E., born 8 December 1874; married Harry Topping.

9) Jacob Bingham, born in Concord, 23 August 1834; died June 1835.

10) Brigham Heber Bingham, married (1) Angeline Theresia Aldous, (2) Mary Alice Lomax, (3) Rebecca Ann Hunt.

Child of Erastus BINGHAM and Emma NYE:

1) Warner Bingham, born in Ogden, 12 September 1863; died 16 April 1918. Warner removed with his mother as a young man to do temple work in Saint George, Utah. On 9 August 1891, he married widow Sarah Ann Miller, who already had several children. In 1897, Warner, his wife, and his mother moved to Pima, Arizona. In 1904, he moved his family to Declo, Idaho, where he died. He had two sons: Warner Jr., born 22 September 1898, and Leonard, born 24 September 1900..."

SOURCE: Site accessed 27 March 2011.

Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel, 1847–1868 Daniel Spencer/Ira Eldredge Company (1847) Age 49

Departure: 17 June 1847 Arrival: 19-22 September 1847

Find a Grave

Birth: Mar. 12, 1798 Concord Essex County Vermont, USA

Death: May 2, 1882 Lynn Weber County Utah, USA

Erastus Bingham was born in Concord, Vermont on March 12, 1798 to Sarah Perry and Elisha Warner Bingham.

Erastus married Lucinda Gates in St. Johnsbury, Vermont on March 20, 1818. When he married Lucinda, he had a farm in Concord, where he and his bride resided and where the first four of his children were born. About 1825, the family removed to Littleton, Grafton County, New Hampshire. Lucinda and Louisa Maria were born there in 1826 and 1828, after which the family returned to the farm in Concord.

In the spring of 1836 Erastus sold his farm, and the following June he traveled with his family to Kirtland, Ohio. The family stayed there until September 1836, then continued the journey to Far West, Missouri, arriving on November 4, 1836. Erastus rented a farm on Shoal Creek, about 2 1/2 miles from Far West, and built a log house, into which he moved his family. Governor Boggs issued an exterminating order for LDS Saints to leave. Church leaders called Erastus a member of the commitee to orchestrate the exodus.

At 2 o'clock on Wednesday afternoon, May 3d, a large congregation of friends assembled in the meeting house at Lynne, to pay their last respects to the mortal remains of Bishop Erastus Bingham.

The assembly was called to order by Bishop D. F. Thomas; the choir sang: "Unveil thy bosom, faithful tomb; Take this new teasure to thy trust."

Elder Joseph Hall then offered a very impressive prayer, after which the choir sang: "He has finished his work and his journey is over, The war is accomplished, the triumph's begun."

Then the congregation was addressed by Presidents, D. H. Peery and Lester J. Herrick, Elders Lorin Farr and R. J. Taylor and Bishop Thomas, all of whom spoke of the history of the departed veteran, his early connections with the Church, his toils, trials, sufferings and persecutions for the truth's sake, his integrity and unswerving fidelity to the principles of the Gospel, which he maintained to the latest hour of his earthly existence. At the close of the addresses the choir sang--

"Mourn not the dead who peaceful lay. Their wearied bodies down."

and Elder Warren G. Child delivered the benediction.

The funeral cortege, which was half a mile long, was then formed and took up its march to the Ogden Cemetery where the tenantless tabernacle of our aged father in Israil was deposited in its last earthly resting place.

The deceased, Erastus Bingham, was born at Concord, Essex County, Vernont, March 12th, 1798. He was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, November 11th, 1833. He was intimately acquainted with the Prophet Joseph Smith, was a member of Zion's Camp and participated with the Saints in nearly all the persecutions, mobbings, drivings and privations which they endured for the testimony of Jesus, in the early history of the Church. He also shared with them in the exodus from Nauvoo.

He came to Salt Lake City in 1847 and to Ogden in 1850.

Erastus Bingham, Sr., was Bishop at Bingham's Fort (now called Lynne), and at Ogden City, from 1850 to 1862, during which time, by his faithful solicitude for the welfare of his people, his wise counsels, and strict integrity to truth and duty, he made hundreds of friends in whose afflictions his name and memory will be embalmed as long as they live.

As before published, he died May 2nd, 1882 and was 84 years, 1 month and 20 days old when he died. He had ten children, nine of whom are still living. His grandchildren and great-grandchildren are numerous--in fact his descendants now number about three hundred and forty or three hundred and fifty.

-Ogden Standard Examiner, May 4, 1882, transcribed by Rhonda Holton

Son of Elisha Warner Bingham and Sally Perry

Married Lucinda Gates, 20 Mar 1819, St. Johnsbury, Cldn, Vermont

Married Patience Perkins, 4 Apr 1852, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah

Married Sally Maria Barber, 7 Apr 1853, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah

Married Katherine Mehitable Sawyer, 11 Sep 1857, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah

Married Emma Nye Wilson, 13 Dec 1862, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah

(bio by: Rhonda) 

Family links:

  • Elisha Warner Bingham (1765 - 1802)
  • Lucinda Gates Bingham (1797 - 1874)
  • Patience Perkins Bingham (1784 - 1862)
  • Sally Maria Barber Bingham (1811 - 1891)
  • Katherine Mehitabel Sawyer Bingham (1806 - 1886)
  • Sanford Bingham (1821 - 1910)*
  • Erastus Bingham (1822 - 1906)*
  • Thomas Bingham (1824 - 1889)*
  • Brigham Heber Bingham (1841 - 1935)*
  • Warner Bingham (1863 - 1918)*

Burial: Ogden City Cemetery Ogden Weber County Utah, USA Plot: A-6-11-3W

view all 22

Erastus Bingham, Sr.'s Timeline

March 12, 1798
Concord, Essex, Vermont, USA
April 1, 1820
Age 22
Saint Johnsbury, Caledonia County, Vermont, United States
May 3, 1821
Age 23
Concord, Essex County, Vermont, United States
September 30, 1822
Age 24
Saint Johnsbury, Caledonia County, Vermont, United States
July 19, 1824
Age 26
Littleton, Grafton County, New Hampshire, United States
April 15, 1826
Age 28
Littleton, Grafton County, New Hampshire, United States
June 23, 1828
Age 30
Littleton, Grafton County, New Hampshire, United States
February 19, 1830
Age 31
Concord, Essex County, Vermont, United States
May 5, 1832
Age 34
Concord, Essex County, Vermont, United States