About Gilbert Raper Frere
Captain Gilbert Frere. Joined 10th Bn., Rifle Brigade. Killed In Action, Merville on 26 October 1915, aged 27. Listed on Merville Memorial
"Son of Ernest Rowland Frere and Elizabeth Charlotte Frere, of St. George's Lodge, Cookham, Berks. Educated at Haileybury College, and Brasenose College, Oxford."
Record of service of solicitors and articled clerks with His Majesty's forces, 1914-1919": Articled to A. F. Foster, of 28 Lincoln's Inn Fields, W.C. Joined Aug. 1914, as Private, Public Schools Batt. Gazetted 2nd Lieut. 10th Batt. The Rifle Brigade Sept. 1915, appointed Adjutant Oct. 1915, promoted Capt. shortly before his death. Served at Home and in France. Wounded Oct. 26, 1915, at Laventie, and died the evening of the same day at the Casualty Clearing Station at Merville, where he was buried.
FRERE, GILBERT RAPER
- Rank: Captain
- Date of Death: 26/10/1915
- Age: 27
- Regiment/Service: Rifle Brigade Adjt. 10th Bn.
- Grave Reference: V. B. 19.
- Cemetery: MERVILLE COMMUNAL CEMETERY
- Additional Information: Son of Ernest Rowland Frere and Elizabeth Charlotte Frere, of St. George's Lodge, Cookham, Berks. Educated at Haileybury College, and Brasenose College, Oxford.
Gilbert Raper Frere's Timeline
Name: Gilbert Raper Frere
October 26, 1915
Killed In Action, Merville
FRERE Gilbert Raper of Sutton Lodge, Cookham Berkshire captain 10th battalion Rifle Brigade died 26 October 1915 at Merville in France of wounds received in action. Administration to Ernest Rowland Frere, accountant. Effects £148 19s 5d.
First Name Gilbert Raper
Haileybury & Brasenose