Hannah Ball (Atherold)
|Also Known As:||"Hannah Atherall", "Ball/"|
|Birthplace:||London, Middlesex, England|
|Death:||Died in Millenbeck, Lancaster County, Virginia, USA|
|Place of Burial:||Lancaster, Lancaster County, Virginia|
Daughter of Thomas Atherold, III and Mary Harvey
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Hannah Ball
Hannah Atherold, daughter of Thomas Atherold , Jr. and Mary Harvey, was born 1619 in London, Middlesex, England, and died 25 JUN 1695 in "Millenbeck"; Lancaster co., Virginia.
She married William Ball on 2nd July, 1638 in London. He was born about 1615 in England and died 15 OCT 1680 in "Millenbeck"; Lancaster co., Virginia. His parents are not known.
They came to Virginia with their children about 1650 and settled at the mouth of the Corontonian River in Lancaster County, Virginia.
- i. Richard BALL was born 1639, and died 1639.
- ii. William BALL was born 2 JUN 1641 in ENGLAND, and died 30 SEP 1694 in Lancaster, VA. He married Margaret DOWNMAN [SIC: Williamson]
- iii. Joseph BALL was born 24 MAY 1649 in England and died 11 JUL 1711 in Epping Forest, Lancaster, VA. He married 1) Elizabeth Romney 2) Mary Johnson, a widow.
- iv. Hannah BALL was born 12 MAR 1648/49 in England and died on a date unknown. She married David Fox.
1695-Jun 25 - Hannah Ball, mother of this William(#3), writes her will and dies by Oct 12 1695. Her will is filed in Lancaster Co.,Virginia. Will Book 8, p. 102. June 25, 1695
In the name of God, Amen, I, Hannah Ball, widow and relict of Coll. William Ball late of the County of Lancaster, do make and ordain this to be my last will and testament.
2. I give and bequeath to my loving daughter Hannah, one negro or Mulatto girl named ................, being increase of a negro woman named Bess given unto me by husband, Coll. William Ball.
3. I give and bequeath unto my grandson William Ball one negro woman named Bess.
4. My grandson James Ball.
5. My daughter Hannah Fox and Grandson William Ball executors.
I set my seal in the year of our Lord 1695-June 25.
Coats-of-Arms in Virgnia, "William and Mary College Quarterly Historical Papers," Vol. 1, No. 3. (Jan., 1893), pp. 167-171.
COATS-OF-ARMS IN VIRGINIA. (Additions to the List given in last Quarterly.)
HANNAH BALL: will, Lancaster, June 25th, 1695, and Richard and David Ball, bond, Lancaster, 1712, apparently the same arms. the seals of the two last are perfectly pre- served, and bear a bend between two lions rampant holding a globe in the dexter paw. That on Mrs. Ball's will is somewhat defaced, but shows the bend between what appears to be lions. Her crest, perfectly preserved, is a lion rampant with dexter paw extended (probably holding a globe). This coat differs somewhat from the well known emblazoning of the Ball arms, described by Hayden (Va. Genealogies) and others.
Alternately spelled Hannah Atherall, mother's name may have been Vesey, not Harvey. lineage gets a bit tangled, see contradictions below:
William, Edward, Richard, Samuel, Joseph, Hannah.
Hannah Atherold Ball's son Col. Joseph Ball was the father of Mary Ball, wife of Augustine Washington, and mother of President George Washington. Therefore, Hannah is George Washington's maternal great-grandmother.
Hannah Atherold was the daughter of Thomas Atherold of Suffolk, England. At some time prior to 2 Jun 1641, Hannah Atherold married Col. William Ball in London, England.
SOURCE: Married Well and Often, Marriages of the Northern Neck of VA, 1649 - 1800, Headley
Hannah Ball's Timeline
London, Middlesex, England
January 2, 1639
Millenbeck, Lancaster County, Virginia, Colonial America
June 2, 1641
May 24, 1649
Barkham, Berkshire, England
March 12, 1650
June 25, 1695
Millenbeck, Lancaster County, Virginia, USA
Lancaster, Lancaster County, Virginia