Matching family tree profiles for Isabel of Scotland
About Isabel of Scotland
William I [d], "The Lion", King of Scotland, b 1143, Scotland, d 4 Dec 1214, Stirling, Scotland. He md Ermengarde de Beaumont 5 Sep 1186, Woodstock Palace, Oxfordshire, England. His mistress was a daughter of Richard Avenal and Sibyl. She was b abt 1152, Scotland, d abt 1234.
Children of William I and daughter Avenal include:
Isabel nic Uilliam (Isabel of Scotland) b abt 1180, Scotland, d 1251. She md Sir Robert 'Furfan' de Ros, Magna Carta Surety, Knight Templar, 1191, Haddington, Lincolnshire, England, son of Everard de Ros and Rohese Trussebut.
Five often confused Isabels: (Janet Palo-Jackson)
- Isabel nic Uilliam. daughter of William I of Scotland and his mistress daughter Avenal. Married Robert 'Furfan' de Ros and Robert de Brus of Annandale.
- Isabel d' Aubigny of Belvoir married Robert de Ros of Helmsley. Robert of Helmsley is the grandson of Robert 'Furfan'
- Isabel d'Aubigny of Arundel, daughter of William d'Aubigny of Arundel and Maud of Chester; married John fitzAlan
- Isabel of Huntingdon, daughter of David of Scotland, 8th Earl of Huntingdon and Maud of Chester (1171-1203); married Robert Bruce, 4th Lord of Annandale.
- Isabel Princess of Scotland, daughter of William I and his wife Ermengard; married Roger de Bigod, 4th Earl of Norfolk. Half sisters.
Isabella of Scotland[1,2]
Lived In Scotland
- Father Uilleam 'Garm' mac Eanric, William 'the Lion', King of Scots 1165-1214, b. 1143
- Mother NN Avenal
- Family Robert de Ros, of Hamlake, b. Abt 1172 Married 1191 Haddington
- 1. Sir William de Ros, of Helmsley
- 2. Robert de Ros
- 3. Peter de Ros
- 4. Alexander de Ros
- 1. [S00623] Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists who came to America bef.1700, 7th Edition, 1992, Weis, Frederick Lewis, Reference: 148
- 2. [S00011] ~Burke's Guide to the Royal Family, London, 1973 , Reference: 316
Bruce, Robert de IV d. before 1191, son of Robert III, was married in 1183 to Isabel, daughter of William the Lion, by a daughter of Robert Avenel, when he was given the manor of Haltwhistle in Tyndale as her dowry. He must have survived his father, if at all, only a short time, as his widow married Robert de Ros in 1191, and the date of his father's death being uncertain it may be doubted whether he succeeded to Annandale. He was succeeded by William de Bruce, his brother, in that fief, who was the only exception to the line of Roberts. William held Annandale along with the English manors of Hert and Haltwhistle till his death in 1215.
- Dugdale's Baronage, i. 449
- Graham's Lochmaben, pp. 16 and 17. Contributor: Æ. M. [Aeneas James George Mackay] Published: 1886
- 1) GENEALOGY: Royal Ancestors of Magna Charta Barons; Page; 226; G929.72; C6943ra; Denver Public Library; Genealogy
- 2) CP Vol V, Vol XI[120-121], Vol XII/1[262-263] Vol XII/1[738-739]; AR: Line 88[28-29], Line 136[25-27], Line 161; SGM: Rosie Bevan, Richard Borthwick [ref: Keats-Rohan's Domesday Descendants], Jared Olar [ref: Scots Peerage], John Ravilious
- 3) http://www.fivenine.co.uk/local_history_notebook/marmaduke_de_thweng.htm
Robert de Brus, Lord of Annandale, b abt 1132, of Hartlepool, Durham, England, d 1189. He md Euphemia of Aumale [e] abt 1154. She was b abt 1138.
Children of Robert de Brus and Euphemia of Aumale were:
- Robert de Brus b abt 1156, d abt 1190, d.s.p., md Isabel of Scotland.
- William de Brus, Lord of Annandale, b abt 1158, d bef 26 Jun 1215.
- Bernard de Brus b abt 1160.
Isabel is identified as a natural daughter, (born out of wedlock), of King William. The name of her mother is, at this time, unknown but she appears to be the daughter of Robert Avenel. Princess of Scotland
Isabel of Scotland's Timeline
Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
North Riding of Yorkshire, England
Helmsley, North Riding of Yorkshire, England, (Present UK)
Saltre Abbey, Stilton, Scotland
November 5, 1932
January 1, 1936